US Civil Air Patrol Name Rescinded

Started by sardak, November 04, 2007, 01:13:02 AM

TankerT

Quote from: Eclipse on November 04, 2007, 03:40:20 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on November 04, 2007, 02:28:16 PM
Please get your facts straight -- The nametape change was approved at the National Board in March and the uniform change letter did not come out until July. 

Wasn;t this one of the famous non-agenda, last-minute ram-rods?

Yes.  I was sitting at that NB meeting.  TP just brought it up, passed a tape around.  Several people asked if this would fit on the cadet uniform for our smaller members.... the question was not answered.

It was another ram-rod, big time.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

mikeylikey

^  Oh.....Too bad Congress did not work like that!
What's up monkeys?

NEBoom

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 04, 2007, 04:54:10 PM
^  Oh.....Too bad Congress did not work like that!

...Be careful what you wish for...   :)
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

dogboy

Think of how it would sound if the Red Cross started calling themselves the "United States Red Cross"  (I know, kind of weak considering they operate internationally  :-\ but I'm just trying to make an analogy here)

Actually, it is the American Red Cross, commonly referred to as the ARC.

But it's easy to be confused. There is also the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and, quite separate, the International Committee of the Red Cross. cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_%28disambiguation%29

Eclipse

Quote from: dogboy on November 04, 2007, 07:30:22 PM

Think of how it would sound if the Red Cross started calling themselves the "United States Red Cross"  (I know, kind of weak considering they operate internationally  :-\ but I'm just trying to make an analogy here)

Actually, it is the American Red Cross, commonly referred to as the ARC.

But it's easy to be confused. There is also the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and, quite separate, the International Committee of the Red Cross. cf: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cross_%28disambiguation%29

Yes - as an example of a similar agency this is not a good one, because there are other RC's, and the agencies do deploy internationally and work together, so there actually >is< room for confusion.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Quote from: TankerT on November 04, 2007, 03:50:19 PM
Yes.  I was sitting at that NB meeting.  TP just brought it up, passed a tape around.  Several people asked if this would fit on the cadet uniform for our smaller members.... the question was not answered.

Yeah, nice way to ambush the agenda.

"We'll present this from the floor, with obvious indicators that this was prepared well in advance, such as having nametapes made, but we won't put it on the agenda lest those rabble rousers at CAPTalk.net get their hands on it and scuttle the whole deal!"

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cecil DP

Quote from: NIN on November 04, 2007, 10:24:01 PM
Quote from: TankerT on November 04, 2007, 03:50:19 PM

Yeah, nice way to ambush the agenda.

"We'll present this from the floor, with obvious indicators that this was prepared well in advance, such as having nametapes made, but we won't put it on the agenda lest those rabble rousers at CAPTalk.net get their hands on it and scuttle the whole deal!"

Maybe Santa Claus give the National Board a  backbone for Christmas, But only if they've been good little boys and girls
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

A.Member

Quote from: MIKE on November 04, 2007, 03:50:23 AM
I think this is directed more at those who were putting JOHN Q. PUBLIC, Lt Col, USAF Aux or derivatives in their sig elements instead of using the format specified by CAPR 10-1  Attachment 2, which IIRC had been addressed in the past.
But CAPR-10 Attachment 2 doesn't explicitly prohibit it either.  It provides a couple examples of versions of signatures for memos that is about all.  It could be argued that e-mail correspondence remains undefined anywhere.  The memo format does not make sense in it's application to e-mails and you'll find that none of commanders follow this format in their e-mail correspendence either (the reg hasn't been updated in a decade).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

I just got my new id card (no photo) and thought I had discovered an insidious change -- at the very top it says Civil Air Patrol and then right below it there is "The Auxiliary of the United States Air Force".  So, I went to look at some old id cards to make sure they had changed it from United States Air Force Auxiliary and what do you know, but I found out they've been using that language on the cards since at least 2001. 

So, not using USAF Auxiliary as if it were the name of our organization is at least consistent with our cards (except for where they have the CAP seal which does phrase it that way). 

Tim Medeiros

The only mention of email guidance I've found is in paragraph 6 of CAPR 110-1

QuoteCAP internet operations involving e-mail, chat groups, bulletin boards, list-servers or similar communications must include the name of the person involved in the communication and, as applicable, their CAP rank or CAP position of employment.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

jimmydeanno

They aren't shunning the use of "The Auxiliary of the United States Air Force," but the use of it as the organization that you are representing.

If I sign my name:

Jimmy Dean, Maj, CAP

or

Maj Jimmy Dean
Civil Air Patrol

it is a whole lot different than putting:

Jimmy Dean, Maj, USAFAux

or

Jimmy Dean, Maj, USAFA

or even

Maj Jimmy Dean
United States Air Force Auxiliary

First and foremost we are The Civil Air Patrol and should represent ourselves that way.  We are members of The Civil Air Patrol which happens to be "The official civilian auxiliary of the United States Air Force."  We are not members of the United States Air Force Auxiliary which happens to be Civil Air Patrol. 

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

O-Rex

Signature bocks are an easy fix, (I noted that Brig Gen Courter's letterhead omitted the U.S.) but what's the verdict with the U.S. Civil Air Patrol nametapes, corp nameplates, etc.?

I'd like to know, while I now only have about $3 invested in nametapes, and haven't gotten around to buying new corporate namplates. . . .

Also, what's going to happen to the tails of our planes, i.e., the $30K that NHQ spent on replacing the USAF AUX decals with CIVIL AIR PAROL>

jimmydeanno

Quote from: O-Rex on November 05, 2007, 01:26:29 PM
...$30K that NHQ spent on replacing the USAF AUX decals with CIVIL AIR PAROL>

I don't see any issue with retaining "Civil Air Patrol" on the aircraft. 

I do think it is unfortunate that the USCAP on the nametags will probably be phased out shortly, only because of the expense incurred by our members.  However, I do think that the acting NC has the members best interests at heart and is trying to correct things before they get too far down the road.

I knew the "USCAP" thing wasn't going to stick because it's stupid so I ordered all the clearance CAP Tapes from the HOCK I could get my hands on...they were half-price.  All my new cadets all say "Civil Air Patrol" and not "US Civil Air Patrol."  ;D
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Chappy

They just announced that we will no longer wear or use U S Civil Air Patrol.  I am glad I only put one US CAP tape on one uniform.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

A.Member

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 05, 2007, 01:35:05 PM
I do think it is unfortunate that the USCAP on the nametags will probably be phased out shortly, only because of the expense incurred by our members.  However, I do think that the acting NC has the members best interests at heart and is trying to correct things before they get too far down the road.
I don't think it's unfortunate.  Perhaps it's things like this that will get more people will pay attention to what's going on at higher levels.  With any luck the membership will start putting pressure on it's leadership to listen to their needs and reform it's ways, resulting in more accountability. (a person can dream, right?)

BTW, for those that haven't learned yet, it does not often pay to be on the cutting edge of changes in this organization.  If something seems like a bad idea, such as this, it's likely to change.  Being an "early adopter" is likely to cost you money.  Everything has a wear out date.  ;)  >:D
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Pylon

I feel bad for people who bought things like nametags (blue 2-line, brushed silver, BDU nametapes, etc.) all to have it rescinded shortly thereafter.  I did not purchase any such items, but maybe for their sake, they'll allow them to be worn for several years though not sell anymore.  A small "U.S." on the nametags won't throw off organizational uniformity anymore than it already is.

Save those "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" items (picture ID cards, nametapes and tags, etc.) as in 30-40 years, they'll be another one of those interesting brief-period-of-history items.   ;D
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Pylon

I wonder what will happen to all the new van decals that we rushed to replace?  The old seals were much more professional looking, and a tad more "descriptive" as well.

I for one would love to see a revised design for the vans that doesn't look like a hodge-podge of stickers from a Civil Air Patrol fan convention.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

addo1

Quote from: Pylon on November 05, 2007, 02:42:04 PM
I feel bad for people who bought things like nametags (blue 2-line, brushed silver, BDU nametapes, etc.) all to have it rescinded shortly thereafter.  I did not purchase any such items, but maybe for their sake, they'll allow them to be worn for several years though not sell anymore.  A small "U.S." on the nametags won't throw off organizational uniformity anymore than it already is.

Save those "U.S. Civil Air Patrol" items (picture ID cards, nametapes and tags, etc.) as in 30-40 years, they'll be another one of those interesting brief-period-of-history items.   ;D

Yeah, I am new and everything I have has U S Civil Air Patrol on it.   :(
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Tim Medeiros

seems like those of us with spare Non US tapes can make a couple of bucks, better yet, I'm sure we'd have better prices and shipping rates :P
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811