CAP [Transformers]: "More than meets the skies"

Started by JC004, August 10, 2007, 04:20:37 AM

JC004

Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2007, 02:56:00 PM
I dare say that More Than Meets the Eye has been around as a phrase a lot longer then the '80's!

That is certainly true, but with the timing of the recent Transformers movie release, everyone is pointing to that after the debut of this slogan (except, of course, those people who missed out on the great cartoons of the 80's).

DogCollar

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 03:44:06 PM
I dare say that More Than Meets the Eye has been around as a phrase a lot longer then the '80's!

That is certainly true, but with the timing of the recent Transformers movie release, everyone is pointing to that after the debut of this slogan (except, of course, those people who missed out on the great cartoons of the 80's).
I've GOTTA get a life!   The Transformers came out as a movie????

I'll take your word for it that the cartoons were great.  I was in college and seminary and starting my career in the '80's.

Will someone please give me advanced warning if Rock'em Sock'em Robots is made into a movie?  I wouldn't want to miss that!  ;)
I guess I've got to get a life.  I haven't been paying attention...the Transformers' came out as a movie?  I never saw the '80's cartoon, so will take your word that they were great.  Anyway...gotta go play with my Matchbox Cars and Rock'em Sock'm Robots! ; )
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

JC004

Quote from: DogCollar on August 10, 2007, 03:59:20 PM
I've GOTTA get a life!   The Transformers came out as a movie????

I'll take your word for it that the cartoons were great.  I was in college and seminary and starting my career in the '80's.

Will someone please give me advanced warning if Rock'em Sock'em Robots is made into a movie?  I wouldn't want to miss that!  ;)

It's a movie that every chaplain should see (I guess - I didn't see it).

DogCollar

Quote from: JC004 on August 10, 2007, 03:44:06 PM

I've GOTTA get a life!   The Transformers came out as a movie????

I'll take your word for it that the cartoons were great.  I was in college and seminary and starting my career in the '80's.

Will someone please give me advanced warning if Rock'em Sock'em Robots is made into a movie?  I wouldn't want to miss that!  ;)

Wow...a combination of version 1 and version 2.  Sorry about that folks.
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

Psicorp

There are now two Transformers movies...the first one was a cartoon movie (feature length) and the most recent was a "live action"...tons of CGI.     

Lots of good vs evil, the saving of humanity through personal sacrifice, creationism...all kinds of classic overtones  ;)
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

LtCol Hooligan

I actually think more than meets the skys is interesting because it translates back to more than you can expect.  If we advertise ourselves as something we are not, people will join, but when they figure it out, they will quit and that is worse than if they never joined at all.  The slogan is vague because it is telling potential members that we are more than meets the sky.  There is more than flying and airplanes.  There is an entire world of CAP out there.  Come to check that out if you want to learn more.  Then it is up to the rest of us to honestly tell the recruit what CAP is all about and hopefully hook them.

This is actual a simple concept the city of Fargo, ND does to market itself.  Their slogan is Fargo- More than you can expect.  Now to those of us who live in Fargo we are like what the pot!!  What does this mean??  It actually means that most people think of Fargo as a small iceberg in the middle of a frozen farm field with nothing to do and no where to go.  When the convention bureau markets Fargo, they must find a way to overcome that expectation.  Now instead of saying Fargo is a little Minneapolis and we have all of the things they offer, we say Fargo is more than you can expect.  That way, when someone comes here and sees the downtown area, restaurants, hotels, and all the amenities that Fargo does have- it is indeed more than they expected and they leave with a good feeling instead of this crappy little town didn't have anything I was looking for.

Now apply this to CAPs new tag line- More than meets the skys!!
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

jimmydeanno

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Skyray

You mean Fargo is not six houses, two bars and a gas station in the midst of a desolate prairie?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

Hawk200

"More than meets the skies" ? How long til Hasbro sues us? This strikes me as a bad idea. I'm not going to tell anyone about this one.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 10, 2007, 04:46:57 PM
"More than meets the skies" ? How long til Hasbro sues us? This strikes me as a bad idea. I'm not going to tell anyone about this one.

The phrase, "There's more to it than meets the eye..." is not patented or trademarked or whatever...  it is similar to, "more [insert whatever] than you can shake a stick at"

They could say that it is shortened and modified from that, not from "Transformers...more than meets the eye..."

(I always thought it was "Transformers...robots in disguise...") I guess I should get my hearing checked :)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

pixelwonk

...So, I'm tendin' bar there at Ecklund and Swedlin's last Tuesday and this little guy's drinkin' and he says, "So where can a guy find some action? I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake." And I says, "What kinda action?" and he says, "Woman action, what do I look like?" And I says, "Well, what do I look like, I don't arrange that kinda thing," and he says, "I'm goin' crazy out there at the lake," and I says, "Well, this ain't that kinda place."  Den, some big robotty feller with no face came up and smacked the bejeebus out of some pilots guys at the tables, and he says that they stole their slogan. "More than meets these guys" or somethin like that. 
Ya, I don't know much about that.

SoCalCAPOfficer

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 05:51:38 AM
Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on August 10, 2007, 05:44:13 AM
Its not even good english.  Is there more than one "sky" ?  

I don't know...ask Katherine Lee Bates who wrote in 1893

Oh, beautiful for spacious skies,
       For amber waves of grain.
    For purple mountain majesties,
       above the fruited plain.
           America, America,
      God shed His grace on thee.
And crown thy good with brother hood,
       from sea to shining sea.

QuoteHow does one meet it? 

How does one "meet a dealine?"

QuoteIf there is more, what is it?  "Missions for America" was at least more descriptive of what we are about. 

Look...a Mission for America...

Here's another...

What has that to do with us?

QuoteWe can do better than that.

Really? Let's hear it?

Anymore specious arguments?  ;)

All joking aside, it's a tagline...the Plan is good.  Any tagline can be ridiculed and will be.  Please, move beyond this ancillary point and hit the meet of the Plan.

Excellent comeback Major Carrales.  I enjoyed it very much.  However, I will never warm up to "more than meets the skies"  .   You wanted something better from me, how about

"Citizens Accepting the Challenge to Safeguard America"
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Major Carrales

Quote from: Dragoon on August 10, 2007, 01:39:47 PM
It's a fine recruiting slogan, if the attempt is to get more non-aviation minded folks in CAP.

It's not a particularly good slogan for marketing to our customers, as our primary operation asset IS aviation, and our cadet program has a strong aviation slant.

I guess it all depends on who the target audience is.

The marketing to our customers does not hinge on this tagline.  In fact, the PAOs are to function on the concept that all PUBLIC AFFAIRS are local.  Thus, the Marketing to our customers is hinged on establishing relationships with State and Local entities...not merely contact, but a "relationship."

We have several groups that are customers.  Being that we are a service based organization, we have 1) the USAF, 2) State and Local Entitites, 3) The communities and 4) our Membership.

The key is, not so much the tagline, but rather execute the missions well and then let folks know what we do.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Dragoon

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 10, 2007, 04:59:36 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on August 10, 2007, 01:39:47 PM
It's a fine recruiting slogan, if the attempt is to get more non-aviation minded folks in CAP.

It's not a particularly good slogan for marketing to our customers, as our primary operation asset IS aviation, and our cadet program has a strong aviation slant.

I guess it all depends on who the target audience is.

The marketing to our customers does not hinge on this tagline.  In fact, the PAOs are to function on the concept that all PUBLIC AFFAIRS are local.  Thus, the Marketing to our customers is hinged on establishing relationships with State and Local entities...not merely contact, but a "relationship."

We have several groups that are customers.  Being that we are a service based organization, we have 1) the USAF, 2) State and Local Entitites, 3) The communities and 4) our Membership.

The key is, not so much the tagline, but rather execute the missions well and then let folks know what we do.

Then we wouldn't need a tagline.....

Major Carrales

Quote from: SoCalCAPOfficer on August 10, 2007, 04:57:48 PM
Excellent comeback Major Carrales.  I enjoyed it very much.  However, I will never warm up to "more than meets the skies"  .   You wanted something better from me, how about

"Citizens Accepting the Challenge to Safeguard America"

Please understand that was mostly in jest.  Your tagline is excellent, run it up the chain and see if it makes the next cut. ;D

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JC004

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 10, 2007, 04:49:30 PM
The phrase, "There's more to it than meets the eye..." is not patented or trademarked or whatever...  it is similar to, "more [insert whatever] than you can shake a stick at"

You may really have something there.  I'm sure we can think of a lot of things to put in the "[insert whatever]" part.   ;)

A.Member

Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on August 10, 2007, 04:37:55 PM
It actually means that most people think of Fargo as a small iceberg in the middle of a frozen farm field with nothing to do and no where to go. 
Uh, hate to say it, but that's exactly what Fargo is.  :)
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MIKE

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 10, 2007, 04:49:30 PM
(I always thought it was "Transformers...robots in disguise...") I guess I should get my hearing checked :)

IIRC, the robots in disguise came after the more than meets the eye bit... And having the sky bit at the end ties it to the disguise line, when I think of it anyway.
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: A.Member on August 10, 2007, 05:07:22 PM
Quote from: LtCol Hooligan on August 10, 2007, 04:37:55 PM
It actually means that most people think of Fargo as a small iceberg in the middle of a frozen farm field with nothing to do and no where to go. 
Uh, hate to say it, but that's exactly what Fargo is.  :)

Fargo was a movie, it had William H. Macy in it, it's also a town in the Dakotas (REUNIFICATON NOW!).

Commander
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

^  was that the movie with the wood chipper and endless murder? 
What's up monkeys?