Main Menu

Salutations...

Started by Nomex Maximus, August 01, 2007, 03:47:25 PM

PaulR

Quote from: caphistorian on December 24, 2008, 12:05:37 PM
I would join the CG if I were not to old!!

You are not to old to join the CG Auxiliary!  They often work side by side with us in the field.  They are an indispensable asset!  I have just completed writing a few members of our local Flotilla up for a CG decoration for services rendered(filling billet shortages in our Base Security.  I really appreciate these men and women)! 

I have met many duel Auxiliary members(CAP and CGA)!

RRLE

If we want to get technical, we can say being CG, you are neither military nor are your Officers real Officers, unless they happen to be transfered to the Department of the Navy during wartime.

14 USC 1. Establishment of Coast Guard

QuoteThe Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy.

14 USC 3. Relationship to Navy Department

QuoteUpon the declaration of war if Congress so directs in the declaration or when the President directs, the Coast Guard shall operate as a service in the Navy, and shall so continue until the President, by Executive order, transfers the Coast Guard back to the Department of Homeland Security. While operating as a service in the Navy, the Coast Guard shall be subject to the orders of the Secretary of the Navy who may order changes in Coast Guard operations to render them uniform, to the extent he deems advisable, with Navy operations.

The USCG was transferred to the USN during WWII and went back to the Treasury Department at the end of the war. Although the CG has fought in every war since WWII, it was never transferred to the USN during those wars.

NC Hokie

Wading in to this mess might be a big mistake, but here goes...

WIWAC (NJROTC in high school and in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets) we were taught one simple rule; salute the GRADE, not the PERSON.  All of the exceptions I've seen in this thread pertain to the PERSON; commissioning authority, uniform, character, etc.  Ignore all of that, look at the grade insignia, and act accordingly.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Timbo

Quote from: NC Hokie on December 24, 2008, 05:26:31 PM
Wading in to this mess might be a big mistake, but here goes...

WIWAC (NJROTC in high school and in the Virginia Tech Corps of Cadets) we were taught one simple rule; salute the GRADE, not the PERSON.  All of the exceptions I've seen in this thread pertain to the PERSON; commissioning authority, uniform, character, etc.  Ignore all of that, look at the grade insignia, and act accordingly.

You may be late to the party, but you brought some good advice!!

PaulR

Quote from: RRLE on December 24, 2008, 05:22:08 PM
If we want to get technical, we can say being CG, you are neither military nor are your Officers real Officers, unless they happen to be transfered to the Department of the Navy during wartime.

14 USC 1. Establishment of Coast Guard

QuoteThe Coast Guard as established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times. The Coast Guard shall be a service in the Department of Homeland Security, except when operating as a service in the Navy.

14 USC 3. Relationship to Navy Department

QuoteUpon the declaration of war if Congress so directs in the declaration or when the President directs, the Coast Guard shall operate as a service in the Navy, and shall so continue until the President, by Executive order, transfers the Coast Guard back to the Department of Homeland Security. While operating as a service in the Navy, the Coast Guard shall be subject to the orders of the Secretary of the Navy who may order changes in Coast Guard operations to render them uniform, to the extent he deems advisable, with Navy operations.

The USCG was transferred to the USN during WWII and went back to the Treasury Department at the end of the war. Although the CG has fought in every war since WWII, it was never transferred to the USN during those wars.

Exactly... the CG has not been a part of the Navy since WW2, although we have had units under the control and direction of the Navy during combat operations since.  When I was overseas, our unit was under the control of DESRON 50(the Navy).  We were not transferred to the Navy, we were simply set up to support a Naval mission.  As a result are under Naval Command, but only at a unit level. There have been times when Naval assets have been under the command and direction of the Coast Guard in support of LE missions.  It is a nice trade off.

It is funny to see how our government has evolved over the years.  Since the end of WW2 the CG has been moved from the Treasury Dept to the Dept of Transportation to it's new home of the Dept of Homeland Security. 

I agree with you completely HC Hokie.  Honors are rendered to the the office(rank) according to the organization's written guide lines, not the person.

Nomex Maximus

Well Hello All,

It's sure been a long time. I happened to be building a new computer here and tried connecting to captalk.net just to see if the computer would connect to the internet. Much to my surprise, this topic I started way back when is STILL being debated(!)

Last year, when I went to that ANG base and the comms course in my beautiful blue BDUs I didn't ever see any RM officers (they must be all off duty on weekends), so I didn't have to salute any. No enlisted military saluted me, so again not an issue. Finally, while waiting outside the guy who was teaching the course showed up and I saluted him. He returned it. None of the other officers were saluting anyone. Some cadets saluted me and I returned the salute.

In other words, this was all a non-issue. That adventure to the ANG base was the last time I worried about saluting anyone. There is very little saluting going on inside CAP judging from the numerous SAREXs I have been to since. I have been to NESA at Camp Atterbury and no one saluted me there either - not CAP cadets, not enlisted military, not other CAP adults and once again no RM officers were to be found.

A lot of worrying over something that no one seems to care about in real life.

--NTM
Nomex Tiberius Maximus
2dLT, MS, MO, TMP and MP-T
an inspiration to all cadets
My Theme Song

James Shaw

Quote from: PaulR on December 24, 2008, 03:57:31 PM
Quote from: caphistorian on December 24, 2008, 12:05:37 PM
I would join the CG if I were not to old!!

You are not to old to join the CG Auxiliary!  They often work side by side with us in the field.  They are an indispensable asset!  I have just completed writing a few members of our local Flotilla up for a CG decoration for services rendered(filling billet shortages in our Base Security.  I really appreciate these men and women)! 

I have met many duel Auxiliary members(CAP and CGA)!

I live in middle GA and their is no CG Aux in this area. I appreciate the thought.
Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Eclipse

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 25, 2008, 01:30:15 AM

NESA and an ANG base are probably not the best examples of "real life", CAP or otherwise.  There are plenty of bases and CAP activities where this attention to detail is expected and adhered to properly.

"That Others May Zoom"

PaulR

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2008, 05:17:41 AM
Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 25, 2008, 01:30:15 AM

NESA and an ANG base are probably not the best examples of "real life", CAP or otherwise.  There are plenty of bases and CAP activities where this attention to detail is expected and adhered to properly.

Like Cadet encampment? ;D

Eclipse

Quote from: PaulR on December 25, 2008, 03:50:30 PM

Yes, and the only place the Navy provides basic training...

"That Others May Zoom"

PaulR

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2008, 03:54:28 PM
Quote from: PaulR on December 25, 2008, 03:50:30 PM

Yes, and the only place the Navy provides basic training...

Where is this?

Nomex Maximus

So, really, the CAP pamphlet should be re-written so as to educate the new CAPster how to know when saluting is "really" needed and when it isn't...

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

Eclipse

Quote from: Nomex Maximus on December 25, 2008, 04:53:00 PM

So, really, the CAP pamphlet should be re-written so as to educate the new CAPster how to know when saluting is "really" needed and when it isn't...

The pamphlet should be re-written to clarify what was likely assumed to be self-evident, or being provided as training by local commanders, however there is no time when saluting isn't appropriate unless specified formally such as flight lines .  Never.

The fact that some other service may be more lax with their protocol doesn't give us a pass, if anything it should mean we step up our behavior to show we take it seriously.

Quote from: PaulR on December 25, 2008, 04:01:49 PM
Where is this?

The US Navy only has one base doing BMT, its next door to one of the largest Major Naval Commands in the Midwest. Google is your friend.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2008, 06:19:48 PM
Quote from: PaulR on December 25, 2008, 04:01:49 PM
Where is this?

The US Navy only has one base doing BMT, its next door to one of the largest Major Naval Commands in the Midwest. Google is your friend.

They used to do BMT down here... well, two hours east of here, at what is now Orlando International Airport. When the Air Force vacated McCoy AFB, the Navy kept part of it as NTC Orlando. Now that it's closed, the place is totally civilian.

Still seems weird the Navy has a base in Illinois. Or West Virginia, for that matter....

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2008, 06:31:03 PM
Still seems weird the Navy has a base in Illinois. Or West Virginia, for that matter....

They did carrier training on the lake in WWII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

"That Others May Zoom"

Nomex Maximus

Quote from: Eclipse on December 25, 2008, 06:39:50 PM
Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on December 25, 2008, 06:31:03 PM

They did carrier training on the lake in WWII:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wolverine_(IX-64)

So THAT'S why there are those big restricted areas over the lake...

Nomex Tiberius Maximus
My Theme Song

MIKE

Mike Johnston