Air Force Base Augmentation Program

Started by SAR-EMT1, February 07, 2007, 12:18:48 PM

Dragoon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 14, 2007, 03:38:14 PM
Ok, after listening to the conversations here is my  list, no particular order, this is just how they came to me after contemplation.
ALSO, Im listing who might be qualified/ interested in doing these tasks

1 Personnel / Admin Flight Assistance - Personnel Officers, Admin Officers, Pro Dev. Officers and TSOs, members who are HR in the "real world"

2 Inventory and other Assistance (parts delivery service) with Supply or Logistics Units  - Logistics and Supply Officers)

3 Assistance with FlightLINE tasks: briefings, chart markups, light admin etc ... ELT DEACTIVATIONS?! - Pilots, Aircrew, Safety

4 Communications Support- IT Support to Comm units, Internet Security Teams, Base Engineers, Tower Comms? - Comm Officers, IT folks

5 On Base Guide/ Taxi Service to include taking folks to / from train station/ etc. - Anyone

6 Support for Base Security Forces - non LE, to include working at the Pass Office, checking IDs etc...  - anyone

7 Support to Base Legal Office - IG and JA types, degree'd lawyers, members with parlegal experience

8 Medical Support - CAP MDs Nurses EMTs PAs etc...

9 Base Tours / Museum Support  ; anyone, Historians, PAOs etc

10 Base Public Affairs Office Support  - POAs, ICs

11 Chapel Support - Chaplains etc.

12 AF Inn Desk / Commisary Work- not scullery- desk work at the gym etc...  -- Anyone

13 Support for Base Engineers / Grounds Dept  assist with plans, paperwork, groundskeeping, admin/paperwork etc.  - folks with Engineering degrees/ plumbing/electrical certifications etc

Let me know what you think, ALSO, I asked this earlier but didnt see any replies; would we need something other then "OPSEC"  to get this stuff done? -- like with comm support. ??

I think #1 is a stretch - USAF HR is radically different from HR in the commercial sector - the skill isn't easily transferable.  Although low level stuff (collate and staple) is possible, albeit not much fun.

Ref #3, I doubt they'd let us brief flight crews.  I could be wrong, but they're awfully sensitive about flight ops, and would be loath to turn it over to a part time volunteer.

#4 would also be a stretch, as networks are incredibly sensitive areas right now.  Given the current levels of INFOCON, they are awfully picky about who plays with the electrons.

A lot of your remaining suggestions assume folks with outside quals - (Chaplain, Lawyer, Construction Licenses,  Health professionals).  That would be one part of the program - identifying folks that have these talents and working ways to use them.

The other stuff (ID Card checking, inventory, tour guide, PAO, taxi driver) would be where we could do the most good - since we have a LOT more members qualified to assist.

Now, the hard part - getting folks to committ to it.

And here's the rub - most folks want their volunteer work to provide some level of "fun."  Sure, they want to work hard, but if it's truly a chore, it's hard to get lots of folks to do it.  How can we make things like inventory assistance and ID card checking interesting enough to our members in order to get lots of them to volunteer to do it?

SAR-EMT1

Speaking for myself: Id do it because Id get to assist the Air Force FINALLY.
- In my 5 years of CAP Ground Team Membership I haven't done a single mission be it a UDF ELT search or ...anything.

As for other reasons: these are "real " AF jobs, would be done on base etc (something some folks would jump at) ...  It would make us more visible to the AF and hopefully increase our value and image.  It might lead to the AF doing more for us - letting Seniors have O-Club privileges maybe? - I don't live near a base so this is kind of a non-factor for me personally.

- I personally live over 2 hours from the nearest AFB, but still, I would be more then willing to drive to Scott or to a ANG base to do several days a month or whatever.  - lol, I drive the same distance for the CG-aux anyway- St Louis or Peoria. And thats where IL's Air Force presence is.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Becks

Call me weird, but ID checking/at the gate is interesting enough for me, you dont really need to add any extra bells and whistles.

BBATW

DNall

Quote from: Dragoon on February 14, 2007, 07:19:42 PM

And here's the rub - most folks want their volunteer work to provide some level of "fun."  Sure, they want to work hard, but if it's truly a chore, it's hard to get lots of folks to do it.  How can we make things like inventory assistance and ID card checking interesting enough to our members in order to get lots of them to volunteer to do it?
People like the idea of service to and with the military. Especially if they let you do it in uniform then there is a sense of belonging & contribution to something bigger, even if your part isn't exciting. I don't think you can get people scrubbing toilets that way, but filing paperwork sure.

Far as HR... We're not really talking about personnel flight stuff. That gets into pay system issues I don'tt hink they'll wabt us playiing with. Hwever, they have cops, mechanics, etc literally pulled out of the line & assigned that extra duty for their unit. They don't go to school for that, they just figure it out. On the officer level there's  whole lot of that extra duty outside your training kinda thing that we can provide backup on.

We aren't going to be the ones making these decisions though. It's not even useful for us to make suggestions. They know whwew they're willing to use us. The thing is that same convesration a couple people have decribed... in which the AF asks you how they can help, & you tell them you're doing okay for now but what can you do for them, and shock ensures. If they knew we were willing to assist on a wide scale & believed in our people, then they'd be jumping all over this. I think the way to proceed is pretty clear.

Dragoon

Quote from: DNall on February 15, 2007, 05:58:47 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on February 14, 2007, 07:19:42 PM

People like the idea of service to and with the military. Especially if they let you do it in uniform then there is a sense of belonging & contribution to something bigger, even if your part isn't exciting.

My fear is that people will like the IDEA, but not the REALITY.  They'll commit to doing some boring job to support the base, and then when the initial thrill wears off they'll stop doing it. And then CAP looks bad.

You'd be amazed how many people train up for ELT hunting and then start saying "no" after their first couple of alerts.  The IDEA of getting up at 2 am to chase an ELT was cool, but the REALITY wasn't cool enough.

Quote from: DNall on February 15, 2007, 05:58:47 PM
Far as HR... We're not really talking about personnel flight stuff. That gets into pay system issues I don'tt hink they'll wabt us playiing with. Hwever, they have cops, mechanics, etc literally pulled out of the line & assigned that extra duty for their unit. They don't go to school for that, they just figure it out. On the officer level there's  whole lot of that extra duty outside your training kinda thing that we can provide backup on.

Having actually run a military personnel action center, and having had a few "OJT" guys (soldiers detailed to my section who weren't clerks), I can speak from some experience on this one.

Those guys pulled out of the line have a more than passable knowledge of how military personnel works, since they are serviced by that system every day.  Our CAP folks wouldn't have that milibackground (unless we limited it to those members recently separated from USAF).  They also are there day in and day out doing the work - they aren't showing up two or three days a month to help out.  If I was running a personnel action center today, I don't think I could come up with enough work to justify that kind of a part-time commitment.  I'd want the same person at least 3 days a week every week.  Anything less than that and it wouldn't be worth the effort to train and supervise the individual.

We'll see what kind of response folks get from just saying "how can we help" without suggesting ways in which we can help.  My guess is we won't get very far without being able to brief, in detail, the kind of talent and committment we are able to apply on the customer's behalf. What skills sets can we offer?  How many folks, how many days a week? 

If we come in the door with some informed suggestions, we kickstart the conversation.  We can say "we are pretty sure we could assist with X, Y, and Z - and if those aren't what you need, they're a good jumpoff point for further discussion."

If someone has some success with putting augmentees in USAF positions, please let us know what you did.

JohnKachenmeister

This type of thing almost has to be considered on an individual basis.  If I had an HR professional who was willing to volunteer, I would use him or her as the volunteer coordinator. Their skills at analyzing a resume for appropriate skills to match up to the Air Force's local needs is exactly what we would need.

An HR professional could create a skill "Bank" for the base to use, if the base used the resources effectively.

Example (personal):

I was, in addition to being a qualified MP officer, a qualified public affairs officer.  I could work on a regular basis as a journalist, I could help with editing, and I could help with media inquiries.  

I coud be a cop, but CAP on't let me carry a gun, so that's out.  But...

What would happen if there was a fatal accident on the base?  As a civilian policeman, I was a traffic homicide investigator.  I'm also a certified accident reconstructionist.  Using a skills bank, this could be identified, and the MP duty officer could call me in to assist in the investigation.

This isn't as farfetched as it may sound.  When I was an Army Reserve guy, I went to Florida and stayed on McDill AFB.  There was a fatal involving an AF female sergeant who was killed by an intoxicated civilian contractor.  The civilian promptly fled the scene.  I was driving back to quarters after dinner, and stopped to ask about the confusion.  I dropped my wife off at the quarters, and went back.  The AF Security Forces guy was obvously overwhelmed, and it was, understandably, his first fatal.

I helped him with the measurements, (They had just gotten a laser speed device, and he was unaware that all of your measurements could be taken with a laser.) and called back to my partner to fax some mathematical formulas to me so I could do the speed determinations.  (What in the H--L to you want THAT for at midnight?  You're on vacation!)  At that time, I had investigated maybe 30 fatals, so I was able to guide him in getting a lot of the information he would need.

He sprang for the coffee, and breakfast the next morning when we were done.  That was all the thanks (and motivation) that I needed.

Another former CAP officer

Dragoon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 16, 2007, 08:28:55 PM
This type of thing almost has to be considered on an individual basis.  If I had an HR professional who was willing to volunteer, I would use him or her as the volunteer coordinator. Their skills at analyzing a resume for appropriate skills to match up to the Air Force's local needs is exactly what we would need.

An HR professional could create a skill "Bank" for the base to use, if the base used the resources effectively.

Example (personal):

I was, in addition to being a qualified MP officer, a qualified public affairs officer.  I could work on a regular basis as a journalist, I could help with editing, and I could help with media inquiries.  

I coud be a cop, but CAP on't let me carry a gun, so that's out.  But...

What would happen if there was a fatal accident on the base?  As a civilian policeman, I was a traffic homicide investigator.  I'm also a certified accident reconstructionist.  Using a skills bank, this could be identified, and the MP duty officer could call me in to assist in the investigation.

This isn't as farfetched as it may sound.  When I was an Army Reserve guy, I went to Florida and stayed on McDill AFB.  There was a fatal involving an AF female sergeant who was killed by an intoxicated civilian contractor.  The civilian promptly fled the scene.  I was driving back to quarters after dinner, and stopped to ask about the confusion.  I dropped my wife off at the quarters, and went back.  The AF Security Forces guy was obvously overwhelmed, and it was, understandably, his first fatal.

I helped him with the measurements, (They had just gotten a laser speed device, and he was unaware that all of your measurements could be taken with a laser.) and called back to my partner to fax some mathematical formulas to me so I could do the speed determinations.  (What in the H--L to you want THAT for at midnight?  You're on vacation!)  At that time, I had investigated maybe 30 fatals, so I was able to guide him in getting a lot of the information he would need.

He sprang for the coffee, and breakfast the next morning when we were done.  That was all the thanks (and motivation) that I needed.

In most of the examples I saw on the SDF sites, it's like you mentioned - folks using their professional skills (medical, legal, law enforcement, even military) that they learned outside the SDF.  That way, there's no need for training by the military, and little dispute of the member's proficiency - after all, they've been certified by some outside agency.  And normally, they are used for short duration surge kinda stuff (a weekend here and there, or a special event).

CAP could do that (we do it for chaplains), and I think create a workable program.  But it's a far cry from "if you have the time, we'll train you to be a valuable member of the USAF team!"  That is a lot less likely.

DNall

Quote from: Dragoon on February 16, 2007, 08:33:39 PM
In most of the examples I saw on the SDF sites, it's like you mentioned - folks using their professional skills (medical, legal, law enforcement, even military) that they learned outside the SDF.  That way, there's no need for training by the military, and little dispute of the member's proficiency - after all, they've been certified by some outside agency.  And normally, they are used for short duration surge kinda stuff (a weekend here and there, or a special event).
Actually, it's a fair mix of the two. They certainly make best use of ouside qualified people, which is a big part of what we'd bring to the fight as well. Yes, just exactly like we currently do with chaplains. This is merely an effort to expand upon that proven concept, and no CAP chaplains are not being called to active duty or serving three days a week on base. Now beyond that, SDFs do actually train some people to augment in other roles as well. Many times this is a civilian skill with is supplemented by some military specific training to create a person qualified to do the AF job, but not necessarily. They do train some people from scratch for a very limited number of jobs. Now, most of that training is accomplished by the SDF itself using retired service members & correspondence work to educate the person to military standards. Then there's OJT accomplished by the military & many times the individuals are awarded MOS/AFSC, but not necessarily. And of course there's prior-service too that can re-cert.

QuoteCAP could do that (we do it for chaplains), and I think create a workable program.  But it's a far cry from "if you have the time, we'll train you to be a valuable member of the USAF team!"  That is a lot less likely.
Actually it's exactly like "if you have the time, we'll train you to be a valuable member of the USAF team!" One wknd a month is good for the guard/reserve. A lot of people can do that. In fact that's where I'd start... pick a few reserve units, pick a half dozen slots they could use some help with in the same kind of roles SDFs do, plug in CAP members where possible. They help out, on drill wknds, but not the 2wks a year & obviously don't deploy with them. Move from there to working with some active units in the same kind of roles, boraden teh roles over time. We're talking about a long haul program in which we're just trying to help do our share. It'll never be a huge program, and it'll never change the world, but it's important. I wouldn't call it surge, but I wouldn't call it anything close to 3-days a week either.

RiverAux

I think dnall is right about targeting Reserve/Air NG units first.  They've got a very high workload concentrated in a very small period of time during drills and any time we can free up for folks to do real training during that period is probably going to be much more valuable than to active duty folks.  Also, Reserve/Air NG units might have more of a need for help outside the drill periods since only a percentage of their folks are on duty and the extra help might be appreciated.  The Air NG is much more widespread than the Reserve and would offer more potential opportunities, but the state vs federal issue might complicate things.  Nothing that couldn't be worked out, but would probably be better to hone the concept with the Reserve if possible before moving to Air NG. 

DNall

I would hold off on the ANG till the last. I only mention the reserves as a pilot program because you can readily copy what SDFs are doing w/o threatening them. Then you;ve proven the concept to AF & worked out issues on the CAP side. With the program though we'd be better focused on federal, but it doesn't matter. You probaly have one kind of unit near you (active, res, or guars) so there's not much choice for you locally.

Dragoon

The Reserve are a better fit than active because they work on weekends and so do we.  And they aren't the NG, they're federal, so no SDF food fight.

But honestly, I still haven't seen much online about SDF units being trained by NG for anything other than menial tasks.  Please point me at it - virtually every reference so far has been about people bringing their existing skills to the table (and with the exception of medical, in relatively small numbers).

DNall

The guard will not spend 200k to make someone a helicopter mechanic, but if you already are one on the outside, they'll spend 2k teaching you about the specific systems on a blackhawk, and then they'll put you straight into the shop just like one of the guys. Those people down on the floor don't care about your uniform or the fact you're a part-time unpaid volunteer, they care how well you know your business. No they would not train you from ditch digger to F15 avionics technitian though. That has more to do with money & their return on it than what they think of augmentees or anything like that. The most complex stuff I've seen people trained from scratch on w/ no outside experience is comm & SF/MP, and I don't know of LE roles are at least initially going to be on the table, that'd be very complex.

Dragoon

Right.  So other than the occasional radio operator and gate guard, we're primarily talking about folks with pre-existing skills.  Not our average joe member who works at a department store and has no military background.

So....if we want to play that way, we have to get a handle on the assets we have, skills wise, who has 'em and who is willing to use 'em.

This is very different from just providing manpower.  We either need a list of the skills and certifications that someone needs (so we can see if we have anyone who meets that description) or a list of the certifications that our members have to present to the customer.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Dragoon on February 20, 2007, 06:52:36 PM
So....if we want to play that way, we have to get a handle on the assets we have, skills wise, who has 'em and who is willing to use 'em.

This is very different from just providing manpower.  We either need a list of the skills and certifications that someone needs (so we can see if we have anyone who meets that description) or a list of the certifications that our members have to present to the customer.

We would also need to change our recruiting to "ask not what CAP can do for you, ask what you can do for CAP." 

You'd want a "dream sheet" from the local base in one hand while you're screening prospective members and be ready to tell people "we don't need you right now," though I can't imagine a recruiter ever saying that. 

Even when we thought someone was a total loser, we'd be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt while steering him away from jobs that seemed like a bad idea, like unsuccessful former Cadets coming back to work CP.

DNall

Quote from: Dragoon on February 20, 2007, 06:52:36 PM
Right.  So other than the occasional radio operator and gate guard, we're primarily talking about folks with pre-existing skills.  Not our average joe member who works at a department store and has no military background.

Yes. I believe you'll find a call from HQ to update your profession on eServices so we can get a better handle on what our capabilities are. I do believe we need to go well beyond that to a range of certifications & what not that can even braodly be useful to the AF.

In conjunction with that we need to be talking to units building an assessment of what they're doing for/with military units now, and we need to put out some programs & streamlined regs to push them to do more so that assessment looks stronger when it's delevered. We also need to build w/ AFA on AE & advocacy (that'll pay off in a BIG BIG way).

Then we need to build a proposal, get BoG & AETC on board, & go brief Air Staff. In the meantime there's acalls for papers out there in the AF from Air Staff asking for what roles CAP should be used in, dpecifically if it should be limited or extremely boad & deep & if that's the case what directions & activities & why.

Some of this is already in process. Just the dots need to be connected. We're working toward inclusion in the total force concept & it'll come at some point. What we're talking abou there is jump starting it, bringing some organization/vision to the effort, & explicitly stating it as an organizational objective with guidance to units on how to do their part.

Al Sayre

The other part is, that the current request only allows you to put in one occupation or skill.  In my case, I'm now an Electrical Engineer, but I have several years experience both as an Navy Avionics Technician and Automotive Service Technician, both useable skills for augmentation that aren't going to be on their report  They should probably develop a profile questionnaire to get a picture of the "complete" CAP member.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DNall

yeah that's what I mean. TXWG down here is putting together a database of outside ES skills, which I'm sure a lot of wings have done, that records sartech & junk like that. Something similiar in eServices for job skills would be helpful.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 10, 2007, 07:36:15 PM
George:

CAP can do a lot of things.  Some of our members have been through either the Air Force tech school or a similar school in another branch.  Our members would need a short period of OJT or familiarization with the particular base mission, but other than that, just about any job would be open to them.

For the cadets and officers who have never been trained in anything, there are still a few jobs that they could do, such as movement control of troops during deployment, making copies of unclassified material, etc.

The way I see an augmentation program working is this:

1.  We assign an "Augmentation Coordinator" to a base, probably working somewhere in or near the personnel office.

2.  The AC develops and publishes a standard application/resume format to CAP members.

3.  Members who want to volunteer for the augmentation program submit a resume packet IAW the published guidance.  The packet would include a statement of availability.

4.  The AC determines where the member could best be utilized based upon the member's training and experience, and sends the packet to the officer in charge of the section where the AC proposes the member be assigned.  The officer, at his option, can interview the CAP member, and schedule training as appropriate. 

5.  The AC will maintain records of the CAP members' participation for statistical and reporting purposes.

6.  In the event the base requires additional assistance with an event, the AC will, depending on the nature and the scope of the event:

a.  Call up selected volunteers from the folks who have submitted packets, and task/request their help with the special requirement.

b.  Call the area unit commanders and request them to provide larger numbers of volunteers for the special requirement.

We're not waiting for a National-level program to get started here in FL.  We will be providing tour escorts by April at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station.  We are presently training a cadre of officers and cadets to do this.

Dragoon:

You must have missed this post?
Another former CAP officer

RiverAux

QuoteBut honestly, I still haven't seen much online about SDF units being trained by NG for anything other than menial tasks.  Please point me at it - virtually every reference so far has been about people bringing their existing skills to the table (and with the exception of medical, in relatively small numbers).

QuoteRight.  So other than the occasional radio operator and gate guard, we're primarily talking about folks with pre-existing skills.  Not our average joe member who works at a department store and has no military background.

Okay, here is an example....In Texas and California SDF members are fairly frequently called upon to process NG members who are being deployed out of the country.  They help with paperwork and other issues related to that.  In CA they get paid for it.  I'm positive this is something that they just received OJT for on site and isn't "menial" as you characterized what might be done by "non-skilled" CAP members. 

SAR-EMT1

So aside from the Tours at the Cape, are there currently any CAP/DoD augmentation programs currently in the works?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student