Air Force Base Augmentation Program

Started by SAR-EMT1, February 07, 2007, 12:18:48 PM

JayT

Quote from: mikeylikey on January 05, 2008, 04:44:48 PM
Quote from: JThemann on January 05, 2008, 03:16:15 PM
QuoteIf an officer or enlisted man in the AF chooses not to salute, but rather render a verbal greeting, fine.  But to front me off by rudely ignoring me?  Nope, that behavior is uncalled for.  I may not be an Air Force officer, but I'm not a homeless bum with a "Will work for food" sign, either.

But, lets say you were a CAP Senior Member who had his grade insignia rotated 90 degrees off, had his branch and name tapes sewn on wrong, had a blue tee shirt on, and wasn't wearing a hat.

(We've all seen this guy)

What type of courtesy would you expect?

As an Officer (Military) speaking to another Officer (CAP) I would say "your uniform is jacked up, why don't you get that fixed up.  Here is what I can help you do"  And I would help him or her out.  If you let that guy slide he will keep wearing that uniform and whether we like it or not "everyday Joe blow citizen" will see a CAP uniform and equate that to the military".  So in reality I am making the organization look better by getting that terd's uniform squared away.

Bigger question.......what did you do when you saw a fellow Officers uniform all jacked??

RANT.......
I hate to go back to referencing the ACA, but from what I see in pictures, and in person, they apparently can get their uniforms squared away.  And from a distance it is hard to tell them from actual military.  That is what blows my mind......they wear subdues tapes, metal rank and are permitted too.  WE can't even get the AF to authorize us GORTEX pants yet.  What the crap!?!?!

I have a feeling the ACA will be augmenting military units and bases more than CAP would ever dream of doing.  Wait a few months.......

ACA RANT OVER!

It's because they didn't ask, and they're not part of the Army.

Plenty of peusdo military organizations wear subduded tapes.

Why do we need too?
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

RiverAux

There have been cases of CG Aux members augmenting in critical positions while underway on cutters.  It is not the norm, but it happens.  CG Aux members augment at all sorts of shoreside CG units as well including CG command centers. 

CG Aux members do not go to the technical CG schools, but I have heard of CG Auxies training to be an Engineer of the Watch through OJT on a small cutter.  That is no walk in the park. 

But, the reality is that CAP members would probably not be serving in any highly technical specialtis for the AF for the simple reason that its easier to train us to do the low tech work so that they can spend more time on high-tech stuff. 

afgeo4

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2008, 09:27:42 PM
There have been cases of CG Aux members augmenting in critical positions while underway on cutters.  It is not the norm, but it happens.  CG Aux members augment at all sorts of shoreside CG units as well including CG command centers. 

CG Aux members do not go to the technical CG schools, but I have heard of CG Auxies training to be an Engineer of the Watch through OJT on a small cutter.  That is no walk in the park. 

But, the reality is that CAP members would probably not be serving in any highly technical specialtis for the AF for the simple reason that its easier to train us to do the low tech work so that they can spend more time on high-tech stuff. 
River... I've read on CG Aux website, and heard from flotilla commanders that CGAux members DO have the opportunity to attend some of USCG's A (or is it C?) schools.
GEORGE LURYE

RiverAux

"C" schools.  http://cschool.auxservices.org/ There are geared at Aux members, though I have heard of Aux members attending others that are more CG oriented. 

I've never heard of an Aux member going to an A school.  I know one Aux member who somehow managed to wrangle his way into the REBI program (basic training for Reservists), but that seemed to be more of a public affairs stunt than anything else. 

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: RiverAux on January 06, 2008, 01:46:07 AM
"C" schools.  http://cschool.auxservices.org/ There are geared at Aux members, though I have heard of Aux members attending others that are more CG oriented. 

I've never heard of an Aux member going to an A school.  I know one Aux member who somehow managed to wrangle his way into the REBI program (basic training for Reservists), but that seemed to be more of a public affairs stunt than anything else. 

Please refer to my last posting. The Culinary Course is open to Auxies and is an "A" school at Pateluma, It is the exception though... the others are "C"
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

RiverAux

I have heard of the Aux cook program but I was sure that they had set up a special training course for Auxies, though I wouldn't be surprised to learn of some going to that A school. 

SAR-EMT1

Its the A school. They even bunk with the AD students, but like I say, it is THE exception
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SAR-EMT1

So... to revisit this in light of the new VSAF program...

what jobs can " YOU" do with the minimum refresher/OJT training?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

mikeylikey

^ I know how to work a calculator, turn on an IBM compatible computer, sign my name, use a day/time stamper, fill out cash receipts, do managerial accounting, sign people into and off of duty, pull CQ, and eat for free on Government vouchers at either the DIFAC, or the Post/ Base Burger King.  If we don't get to eat for free in this new VSAF program.......that will be a bummer! :(
What's up monkeys?

SAR-EMT1

BUMP

Anything new on this in the last year?

Anyone heard how the VSAF trial is going?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

RiverAux

I think I bumped one of the VSAF threads a while back and didn't get any response, so I think that the people that were in the program that provided some early info may have dropped out of CAPTalk..

JayT

Be a shame if it fizzled........

Lot of potential.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

GPVIIOps

Looking for someone in VSAF? I haven't been on here in a while, sorry.

From what I am told the program is still kicking along and I am still Volunteering at my base.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

RiverAux

Good to hear from you again.  Are you aware of any sort of actual formal evaluation being done about how the VSAF program is working?  For example, is anyone working on a report of how things have been going in actual practice? 

GPVIIOps

I don't know about any report that may come out, but I do know that they do have a weekly teleconference specifically regarding VSAF. Here lately a lot of the talk has been about marketing of the program.
"If Prometheus was worthy of the wrath of heaven for kindling the first fire upon earth, how ought all the gods honor the men who make it their professional business to put it out?"  ~John Godfrey Saxe

RiverAux

How many CAP members are now participating in it on your base?  Have you seen anyone join CAP specifically for this program yet?

GPVIIOps

I don't know for sure, but I believe we have three people counting my self. I am working with the Exercise Office, one person is working with the Honor Guard (he did join specifically for VSAF), and I think there is another person working in the hospital. 

RiverAux

Only 3 people?  Well, although I'm a big fan of this program I've always said that it would be unlikely that we would have tons of CAP members doing it, so I'm not too surprised.  However, once the program is established, I think there is definetely the potential to recruit people into CAP just for it, but as you suggest, marketing it is an issue. 

The CG Auxiliary has faced a similar problem in that while they have all sorts of augmentation opportunities they don't really market it very well. But marketing these things is really hard since the need for people for specific duties is always going to be changing and will ultimately be dependent on the whims of the AF officer in charge of each unit. 

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on January 27, 2009, 07:27:33 PM
Only 3 people?  Well, although I'm a big fan of this program I've always said that it would be unlikely that we would have tons of CAP members doing it, so I'm not too surprised.  However, once the program is established, I think there is definitely the potential to recruit people into CAP just for it, but as you suggest, marketing it is an issue. 

Why?

CAP's mission is not USAF augmentation, and if members are going to join specifically to do VSAF jobs and nothing else, they might as well just find a way to recruit volunteers directly and leave us out of it.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 27, 2009, 07:34:09 PM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 27, 2009, 07:27:33 PM
Only 3 people?  Well, although I'm a big fan of this program I've always said that it would be unlikely that we would have tons of CAP members doing it, so I'm not too surprised.  However, once the program is established, I think there is definitely the potential to recruit people into CAP just for it, but as you suggest, marketing it is an issue. 

Why?

CAP's mission is not USAF augmentation, and if members are going to join specifically to do VSAF jobs and nothing else, they might as well just find a way to recruit volunteers directly and leave us out of it.

Our entire ES mission is USAF augmentation!

Quote from: Title 36, Subtitle II, Part B, Section 402The purposes of the corporation are as follows:
(1) To provide an organization to—
(A) encourage and aid citizens of the United States in contributing their efforts, services, and resources in developing aviation and in maintaining air supremacy; and
(B) encourage and develop by example the voluntary contribution of private citizens to the public welfare.
(2) To provide aviation education and training especially to its senior and cadet members.
(3) To encourage and foster civil aviation in local communities.
(4) To provide an organization of private citizens with adequate facilities to assist in meeting local and national emergencies.
(5) To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its noncombat programs and missions

Granted interanally we have divided CAP's purpose into three missions.  VSAF clearly fallus under para (5) "To assist the Department of the Air Force in fulfilling its noncombat programs and missions" as does SAR, CD, DR and DHS missions we are doing.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP