Maj Gen Pineda Misconduct Investigation Hits the News

Started by CAPlikeCrack, December 21, 2006, 02:45:09 PM

CAPlikeCrack

[redacted by admin], there have to be better ways of getting CAP in the news...

Seeing as the NEC has been systematically stacked with his ditto-monkeys [Man, I miss the leadership of Col Kuddes, Col Greenhut, and Col Glasgow], it will be up to the Board of Governors to force him to step down.

Hot off the press:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/16286249.htm

Civil Air Patrol probes cheating claim-
The Inspector General of the Civil Air Patrol is investigating a complaint that the commander of the volunteer organization had someone else take a military test for him.
BY ERIKA BOLSTAD
ebolstad@MiamiHerald.com

The national Civil Air Patrol is investigating an accusation that its commander, Maj. Gen. Antonio Pineda, had a subordinate take a military exam for him.

Pineda, who has led the volunteer search-and-rescue patrol since August 2005, lives in Plantation and has served as an agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The accusations surfaced this week in the online newsletter, News of the Force, which is based in Tampa and covers military-related issues.

The article details a complaint by one of Pineda's former volunteers, Ray Hayden of Tamarac. Hayden told The Miami Herald that in 2002 and 2003, he took a correspondence course and exams on Pineda's behalf, through the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

''I took his exams for him,'' Hayden said Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Civil Air Patrol confirmed that the organization's inspector general, Col. James Linker, is investigating Hayden's claims.

Pineda has denied any wrongdoing, and in a statement released Wednesday out of the Civil Air Patrol's headquarters at Maxwell Air Force Base in Texas, said ``the allegations are totally false and without merit, and the investigation will prove so beyond any doubt.''

''In the meantime, with the continued support and help of CAP's National Board members, I will continue to focus all of my energy to ensure CAP continues to achieve its goals and to promote it as the best professional volunteer organization in America,'' Pineda said in the statement.

The Civil Air Patrol, a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force, has 57,000 volunteers nationwide. Their main function is to help with search-and-rescue missions; volunteers operate one of the largest fleets of single-engine piston aircraft in the world.

Hayden resigned from the Civil Air Patrol on Friday. He said he was forced to resign following a dispute in October with fellow volunteers. The dispute stemmed from a training session where Hayden refused to put his Social Security number on a sign-in sheet.

''Why the hell did Hayden drop off the information grenade and walk out of the tent?'' Hayden asked, referring to himself in the third person. ``That's the question everyone wants to know.''

He said Wednesday that he decided to make his complaint public because he was angry at Pineda for being unsupportive in his dispute with fellow volunteers. Pineda told him in an e-mail that he should resign, Hayden said, which angered him because he had already decided that he didn't want to remain a member.

Hayden, a recreational pilot with about 200 hours of flying experience, said that he joined the Civil Air Patrol to be able to fly more. In his nearly seven years with the volunteer organization, he flew just twice.
Click here to find out more!

[admin edit: removed blatant name-calling comment, in violation of code of conduct]

CAPlikeCrack

The story was originally broken on "News of the Force" on December 19th, 2006.  The article is available here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NewsoftheForce/message/4696

Major Carrales

Quote from: CAPlikeCrack on December 21, 2006, 02:45:09 PM
[redacted by admin], there have to be better ways of getting CAP in the news...

Seeing as the NEC has been systematically stacked with his ditto-monkeys [Man, I miss the leadership of Col Kuddes, Col Greenhut, and Col Glasgow], it will be up to the Board of Governors to force him to step down.

Hot off the press:
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/local/states/florida/counties/broward_county/16286249.htm

The Inspector General of the Civil Air Patrol is investigating a complaint that the commander of the volunteer organization had someone else take a military test for him.
BY ERIKA BOLSTAD
ebolstad@MiamiHerald.com

The national Civil Air Patrol is investigating an accusation that its commander, Maj. Gen. Antonio Pineda, had a subordinate take a military exam for him.

Pineda, who has led the volunteer search-and-rescue patrol since August 2005, lives in Plantation and has served as an agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

The accusations surfaced this week in the online newsletter, News of the Force, which is based in Tampa and covers military-related issues.

The article details a complaint by one of Pineda's former volunteers, Ray Hayden of Tamarac. Hayden told The Miami Herald that in 2002 and 2003, he took a correspondence course and exams on Pineda's behalf, through the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

''I took his exams for him,'' Hayden said Wednesday.

A spokesman for the Civil Air Patrol confirmed that the organization's inspector general, Col. James Linker, is investigating Hayden's claims.

Pineda has denied any wrongdoing, and in a statement released Wednesday out of the Civil Air Patrol's headquarters at Maxwell Air Force Base in Texas, said ``the allegations are totally false and without merit, and the investigation will prove so beyond any doubt.''

''In the meantime, with the continued support and help of CAP's National Board members, I will continue to focus all of my energy to ensure CAP continues to achieve its goals and to promote it as the best professional volunteer organization in America,'' Pineda said in the statement.

The Civil Air Patrol, a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force, has 57,000 volunteers nationwide. Their main function is to help with search-and-rescue missions; volunteers operate one of the largest fleets of single-engine piston aircraft in the world.

Hayden resigned from the Civil Air Patrol on Friday. He said he was forced to resign following a dispute in October with fellow volunteers. The dispute stemmed from a training session where Hayden refused to put his Social Security number on a sign-in sheet.

''Why the hell did Hayden drop off the information grenade and walk out of the tent?'' Hayden asked, referring to himself in the third person. ``That's the question everyone wants to know.''

He said Wednesday that he decided to make his complaint public because he was angry at Pineda for being unsupportive in his dispute with fellow volunteers. Pineda told him in an e-mail that he should resign, Hayden said, which angered him because he had already decided that he didn't want to remain a member.

Hayden, a recreational pilot with about 200 hours of flying experience, said that he joined the Civil Air Patrol to be able to fly more. In his nearly seven years with the volunteer organization, he flew just twice.
Click here to find out more!

[admin edit: removed blatant name-calling comment, in violation of code of conduct]

Oh wow, they moved an AIR FORCE  base (MAXWELL) to TEXAS!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DrDave

The information below is from the national PAO listserve yesterday.  I've yet to see the NHQ Press Statement posted anywhere, so I thought I'd post it here as this thread was reborn -- NOT to fan any flame wars but as a service to my fellow PAO's and our members.  Many of us are being asked questions about this situation.  Hopefully, the info below can help you answer these questions better or, atleast, point inquiries in the proper direction.

-------------------

To all CAP PAOs:

If you receive any media queries concerning the fore-mentioned allegations made against the CAP national commander by News of the Force, et al, please refer them to the PA staff at CAP National Headquarters. POC info as follows:

Julie DeBardelaben @ work (334) 953-7593 or cell (334) 462-5305
Jim Tynan @ work (334) 953-9949 or cell (334) 398-3312

FYI -- The only official response NHQ will be providing the media reads as follows:

NHQ PRESS STATEMENT

The Civil Air Patrol has initiated an investigation into the allegations that have been made against CAP National Commander Maj. Gen. Antonio Pineda with regard to his completion of the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

The investigation is being conducted by CAP Inspector General Col. James Linker, who reports directly to the the CAP Board of Governors, the governing body of CAP. Once the investigation is complete, the results will be provided to the chairman of the BoG, retired Air Force Lt. Gen. Nick Kehoe, and made public as appropriate.

In a statement released today, General Pineda stated the allegations are totally false and without merit, and the investigation will prove so beyond any doubt. "These allegations will be investigated thoroughly by the CAP inspector general. In the meantime, with the continued support and help of CAP's National Board members, I will continue to focus all of my energy to ensure CAP continues to achieve its goals and to promote it as the best professional volunteer organization in America."

As always, thanks for your support and for all you do as professional CAP volunteers!

Jim

Sr. Mbr. James F. Tynan
Public Affairs Manager
CAP National Headquarters
105 S. Hansell St.
Maxwell AFB, AL 36112
(334) 953-9949
DSN 493-9949
www.cap.gov
Lt. Col. (Dr.) David A. Miller
Director of Public Affairs
Missouri Wing
NCR-MO-098

"You'll feel a slight pressure ..."

RiverAux

Its been a while since I looked at this, but is there a "Recreational Pilot" license or am I thinking of something else?  

I can think of only one way a pilot that was qualified to fly a CAP plane would end up taking only 2 flights in 7 years --- they never really wanted to fly in the first place.   Someone who has been a pilot for at least 7 years but who only has about 200 hours of flying obviously hasn't devoted a lot of effort to it.  Heck, just 3 hours a month over that period would put you over 250 hours and I would expect most competent pilots to want at least that much proficiency flying.

Major Carrales

At times like this it is important to take it "line by line" and analyze it for better understand and speculation...

Hot off the press:

BY ERIKA BOLSTAD
ebolstad@MiamiHerald.com

QuoteThe national Civil Air Patrol is investigating an accusation that its commander, Maj. Gen. Antonio Pineda, had a subordinate take a military exam for him.

I believe this is an attempt to "try" the man in the public venue instead of the system.  How stupid, most people don't know about the CIVIL AIR PATROL and now this.  The Enemies of CAP must be having a field day.  I want you all that relish in this to recall this when your funding is cut next year.  Especially if this turns out to be nothing.  

QuotePineda, who has led the volunteer search-and-rescue patrol since August 2005, lives in Plantation and has served as an agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

This seems objective.

QuoteThe accusations surfaced this week in the online newsletter, News of the Force, which is based in Tampa and covers military-related issues.

Now there's a red flag.  An obviously biased and agendistic source against CAP by what some have described as a person who is "disgruntled" at best.

QuoteThe article details a complaint by one of Pineda's former volunteers, Ray Hayden of Tamarac. Hayden told The Miami Herald that in 2002 and 2003, he took a correspondence course and exams on Pineda's behalf, through the Air Force's Air Command and Staff College.

I would say this is agendistic grandstanding.  I can't wait to see what the IG uncovers about Hayden. 

Quote''I took his exams for him,'' Hayden said Wednesday.

Well, the IG has plenty of proof against Hayden if this is in fact true.  By his own admission.  Again, reserve judgment for the IG's official statements.  I don't know the Major General from Adam, but every man deserves a fair shake.

QuoteA spokesman for the Civil Air Patrol confirmed that the organization's inspector general, Col. James Linker, is investigating Hayden's claims.

I'll look into this but this doesn't sound too far fetched.

QuotePineda has denied any wrongdoing, and in a statement released Wednesday out of the Civil Air Patrol's headquarters at Maxwell Air Force Base in Texas, said ``the allegations are totally false and without merit, and the investigation will prove so beyond any doubt.''

One would think a news publication would confirm some basic facts about the location, not of CAPNHQ, but a US military installation.  But, when one is rushing to get a story out...facts are sometimes stubborn things.

Quote''In the meantime, with the continued support and help of CAP's National Board members, I will continue to focus all of my energy to ensure CAP continues to achieve its goals and to promote it as the best professional volunteer organization in America,'' Pineda said in the statement.

Seems objective...

QuoteThe Civil Air Patrol, a civilian auxiliary of the Air Force, has 57,000 volunteers nationwide. Their main function is to help with search-and-rescue missions; volunteers operate one of the largest fleets of single-engine piston aircraft in the world.

Well, no mention of the three missions of the Civil Air Patrol as one might expect.  This sort of misrepresents the organization a bit.  One would think looking up such data would have provided them with the correct information on the location of Maxwell, AFB.

QuoteHayden resigned from the Civil Air Patrol on Friday. He said he was forced to resign following a dispute in October with fellow volunteers. The dispute stemmed from a training session where Hayden refused to put his Social Security number on a sign-in sheet.

Hummmm.... tell us more?

Quote''Why the hell did Hayden drop off the information grenade and walk out of the tent?'' Hayden asked, referring to himself in the third person. ``That's the question everyone wants to know.''

Yes, let's hear it.  Speaking in third person is so "James Bond Villianish."

QuoteHe said Wednesday that he decided to make his complaint public because he was angry at Pineda for being unsupportive in his dispute with fellow volunteers. Pineda told him in an e-mail that he should resign, Hayden said, which angered him because he had already decided that he didn't want to remain a member.

That smacks of questionable practice on the part of Mr Hayden.  Remind me never to rise above the Group LEVEL!

QuoteHayden, a recreational pilot with about 200 hours of flying experience, said that he joined the Civil Air Patrol to be able to fly more. In his nearly seven years with the volunteer organization, he flew just twice.

What does that mean?  He only flew twice?  What kind of CAP Officers do we have up there?  Sounds like we have some people that actually came into the CAP to participate in its politics.

I cannot say I am pleased by any of this.  Here I am busting my backside building up a unit and this meshuggener BLOWS this thing well before any part of the system had a chance to work.

You know what I am inclined to think?  I think there have been some looking for any reason to oust this man.  I think, if he is guilty, he should be strug-up (metaphorically); but if he is falsely accused that lots of damage will have been made to CAP.

:-[  This is a sad state of affair no matter what is true.

Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Monty

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 21, 2006, 03:49:38 PM
At times like this it is important to take it "line by line" and analyze it for better u nderstand and speculation...

Joe, I think Corpus Christi is far enough away from Florida so as NOT to influence John and Jane Q. Public in your neck of the woods - the same regular types whose kids are joining (or will join) your unit.  I'd also be willing to bet you a lemonade that Corpus Christi won't be featuring CAP Commander issues on it's news at 5:00 and 6:00!

Unless you are courting some big whigs for whatever reasons, none of this impacts you, your unit building, or whatever.

I think you spent 10-15 minutes too long on making line-by-line inferences about that message.

Come to think of it, I'm 4 minutes too long in drafting this reply.  :)

Major Carrales

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 21, 2006, 03:57:08 PM
Joe, I think Corpus Christi is far enough away from Florida so as NOT to influence John and Jane Q. Public in your neck of the woods - the same regular types whose kids are joining (or will join) your unit.

Unless you are courting some big whigs for whatever reasons, none of this impacts you, your unit building, or whatever.

I think you spent 10 minutes too long on making line-by-line inferences about that message.

All I know is that if I get a call from the CALLER-TIMES because this made the AP Wire it does effect me.  I pray that that won't happen.

I am courting no favors from anyone.  I just hate "agendism," when people try to push their agenda at the expense of everyone else.  In my opinion, nothing has happened (yet) since the investigation is not complete (started?)  That would have been the time to break this story.  When there were facts, not speculations and allegations.

This was done to grandstand.

QuoteAgendism    

1. The blatant speading of an agenda much to the discredit of one's character even to such a degree that the "means" become more important than the spirit of their "ends."

2. To be so polarized in one's set of beliefs that opposing beliefs, no matter how factual, beneficial or even helpful to one's own belief, will be seen as wrong.

3. Myopic granstanding done by one side of two or more diametrically opposed political, social or economic positions.

If the GUY is guilty, SEND HIM TO HELL, but until he is declared so...he is as innocent as any of the rest of us.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RayHayden

Miami Herald got a few factoids wrong... I told the reporter how much I trust the Press to get stuff right...

Anyway, yes there are several - less important facts wrong here, it was me refusing to give the CAPF-11 to a member that started the whole thing, I am a Private Pilot, not a recreational pilot, and other little things like that...

Ray Hayden

Major Carrales

Quote from: RayHayden on December 21, 2006, 04:36:27 PM
Miami Herald got a few factoids wrong... I told the reporter how much I trust the Press to get stuff right...

Anyway, yes there are several - less important facts wrong here, it was me refusing to give the CAPF-11 to a member that started the whole thing, I am a Private Pilot, not a recreational pilot, and other little things like that...

Ray Hayden

Mr Hayden,

Why didn't you wait until you had the force of a ruling to break this?  Honestly and without malice I ask this?

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RayHayden

I was going to leave and never say a thing to anyone about it - so i am just as bad as everyone else involved. Why did I go public? Drop that nade on the floor of the tent as I left? Because someone (name left blank here so the message does not get stripped), but SOMEONE (not Pineda by the way) would indeed still accept my resignation BUT, he required a new additional requirement... I had to PERSONALLY get my ID card to him by Monday at noon BEFORE the Appeal Board would meet up, I could even drop it by his house over the weekend...

See, the way it works with me is that you can kick me when I am down - feel free, I like that kind of pain folks.... but you cant take a wiz on my dead skull too...

I was already leaving CAP - one way or another - the story is actually HUGE, but no one cares... fact is that UNTIL that last "additional requirement" of turing in my ID card by noon on Monday.... I was just going to be a good little boy and disappear - just like everyone else...

I guess the guy who sent me that email is probably kicking himself in the pants now... for sure someone else will be kicking him in the pants.... ya think?

Let the IG climb all over me - feel free - my entire life is an open book and I think THAT is their problem... see, no one - anywhere has anything on me... folks there is nothing on me...

The real fact is that no one - but no one, even me can prove I took the exams (plural) for anyone, BUT what is odd are two key points.... 1) I got not one but TWO Exceptional Qualifications promotions in my CAP career... one from 1Lt to Capt (a complete surprise to me when I got the new ID card in the mail, and another from Capt to Major.... look at the timing of that, look at the fact that I was moved up to Region HQ at the time, look at the dates of the exams (on record I might add) and although all of this STILL PROVES NOTHING - nor could it ever.... 2) IN CAP "the rules of evidence do not apply" by REGULATION!

Hang me out to dry - I already did... I have all the emails through this whole process... if justice is not done - I'll just post all of that on my own website... BUT WHY did I go public???

Because if you OBJECTIVELY look at Col Linker.... who does he report to? Look REAL CLOSE do your OWN investigation... now do NOT take what I say for anything - my word is worthless... THINK FOR YOURSELVES!

Now that it is public info - IG HAS TO WORK IT... I am not talking to any more press about this - NOW that it is public - it WILL be investigated... if not - I set it all up on my own website... just watch.... and for goodness sake - THINK FOR YOURSELF... I wish I would have at the time, but perhaps this was my twisted purpose in CAP... only time will tell fro sure...

Ray Hayden

flyguy06

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 21, 2006, 04:02:47 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 21, 2006, 03:49:38 PM
At times like this it is important to take it "line by line" and analyze it for better u nderstand and speculation...

Joe, I think Corpus Christi is far enough away from Florida so as NOT to influence John and Jane Q. Public in your neck of the woods - the same regular types whose kids are joining (or will join) your unit.  I'd also be willing to bet you a lemonade that Corpus Christi won't be featuring CAP Commander issues on it's news at 5:00 and 6:00!

I think you spent 10-15 minutes too long on making line-by-line inferences about that message.

I agree. This doesnt really effectus mainline members at all.. However, In lieu of my comments on the original hread on this subject, when I said that the NOTF was not  a serious news source. The Miami Herald is which makes me take this a lot more serious. Not to the point wher eI am worrying about it though, caus elike I said,it deosnt affect me. But I am taking it more serious than I did before.

Lancer

TankerT

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 21, 2006, 04:56:53 PMThe Miami Herald is which makes me take this a lot more serious.

Despite the fact that the Miami Herald is quoting the same one person and the NOTF as well as the NOTF?  Plus they have further inaccurate information?  I'd say the article holds little credibility.

Garbage in... garbage out...

If this was brought forward by multiple people, whom were not under a membership action, I would say I would think about it.

But, when we have people that are complaining, that are under membership action, it just screams "disgruntled" which happens all the time.  Sometimes without merit, and sometimes without.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

RayHayden

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on December 21, 2006, 05:05:36 PM
Ray Hayden, is this your website?

http://vdo1.us/rayvs.html

Yes, one page out of the entire site, and I have other sites as well... I am NOT the Music Producer from England also named Ray Hayden, but I thought it was funny that a video guy from the US and a Music guy from England had the same name...

fwiw

TankerT

Quote from: RayHayden on December 21, 2006, 04:54:23 PM
Because if you OBJECTIVELY look at Col Linker.... who does he report to? Look REAL CLOSE do your OWN investigation... now do NOT take what I say for anything - my word is worthless... THINK FOR YOURSELVES!

Actually, if you OBJECTIVELY look at Colonel Linkler... he doesn't fall directly into the Chain of Command of the National Commander.  He works for several people, the National Commander being one.

Pineda can't just fire and hire an IG at will.  Linkler will be around regardless of what Pineda wants.  In this case, Colonel Linkler is working for the Board of Governors, and not Pineda.

The National IG is complex position, and doesn't have one boss.  (For obvious reasons.)  And, he/she basically can't be fired either.  The National IG is appointed for three years.  He'll be there for three years if Pineda likes it or not.  Basically, he can leave is if he resigns the position or his membership.

I also believe that Colonel Linkler believes in serving the members of CAP, and not Pineda.  That job is too much work to take just to be someone's lap dog.  And, you don't make any friends in it.   

So, using the "who does he report to" scare tactic doesn't discredit Colonel Linkler in my mind.  The National IG can be tasked by the National CC.  But, he doesn't report directly to him in the Chain of Command.

I do trust that the National IG will do a thorough and fair investigation.  And, if all we have is the he/said she/said of two people, with no physical evidence, I expect this will be dropped.

Sources of my information: Constitution and Bylaws, CAPR 20-1, CAPR 123-1 and the Senior IG course (of which I am a graduate.)

Lets face it, when you're at the top, you'll always get lots of people complaining about you for something.  Some will tell the truth, some will make things up.  It takes a third party that is impartial to determine what the real situation is.  I have faith due to the way things are set up that we will find out the truth.  Since IG investigations take a long time, we should know the scoop in six months to a year if this meets the criteria for an IG investigation.  If not, we'll know it was dismissed in a few months.  (If any of that information is ever released.  Which, normally it would not be, but I would assume that due to the prolific nature of posts by the complaintant, we'll be informed of the results.)

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

CAP428

Quote from: RayHayden on December 21, 2006, 05:20:03 PM
{all of RayHayden's statements}

Well, sir.  I can give you one piece of advice and that's pretty much it because I don't know the nitty gritty details of the situation.  But generally I can tell you that the more subtle you can be in raising a complaint, the better.  Going out with guns blazing just to get back at somebody because you didn't want to put down you SSN, and turning up your bitterness control to "UBER-HIGH" is not the best method.

I can only say that your credibility in this situation and especially on this forum might be better had you not posted a long, bitter rant a few days ago, and if you hadn't made such ambiguous statements as
Quote"Why the hell did Hayden drop off the information grenade and walk out of the tent?'' Hayden asked, referring to himself in the third person. ``That's the question everyone wants to know.''
Well, you're the only one who can tell us.

Not to mention the fact that nobody likes it when someone is out to get somebody out of revenge......and you have admitted to taking tests for Pineda.  Whether it's true or not, either way it would be a major breach in the honor code and one of the core values of CAP:  Integrity.  You took the tests for him....against integrity.  You lie about taking the tests for him....against integrity.

Sorry, bud, but you seem to be digging a hole for yourself.

Lancer

Quote from: RayHayden on December 21, 2006, 05:20:03 PM
Yes, one page out of the entire site, and I have other sites as well

k, just looking since you said...

- I set it all up on my own website... just watch....

Like anyone else here, we're just looking for information, since your offering.

keystone102

Al Sayre

Not to be a wet blanket here, but since there has been an acknowledgment of an official investigation, we need to abide by CAPR 123-2 Section 7.j. :
Quotej. Commanders and all personnel involved or having knowledge of an investigation are cautioned not to discuss the complaint, investigation, or findings with persons not involved in the investigation or in the direct chain of command of the complainant or respondent. Unauthorized disclosure may result in a claim of defamation against the individual making such unauthorized disclosure and against CAP in a court of law.

edit spelling error
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787