Main Menu

Key Traits for SM Programs

Started by Holding Pattern, February 17, 2020, 04:48:20 AM

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on February 19, 2020, 08:33:23 PM
Quote from: etodd on February 19, 2020, 07:06:45 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 19, 2020, 05:35:59 PM
Quote from: etodd on February 19, 2020, 03:21:29 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2020, 11:01:24 PMYou don't join a paramilitary organization and then complain about having to wear the uniform.

I proudly wear my polo uniform. Have never complained about it. The AF says its ok, and thats good enough for me.

As long as you understand that it's not "correct" for all CAP activities.
Some activities require a higher level of decorum.

Four years and I've attended everything in my Wing from Squadron meetings, SAREXes, training exercises, and actual missions. But yes, I forego the rubber chicken dinner and award banquet at the annual Wing Conference, where most are in blues and very shiny shoes. So, you are correct on that one. LOL
So your unit doesn't grant any significance at all to awards/promotions, or do you just skip those meetings completely?

All of ours are handled the same:
The promotee is welcomed to invite guests of their choosing. At the start of the meeting, we call them up. They report. Brief spiel (not necessary for frequent promos such as C/A1C). Ask who they wish to have pin on their insignia; bring that person up. Photo with the guest. Photo with the Commander (presenting a certificate). Salute and fall back into rank.

I've talked to people at cadet units who don't even let the cadet know that they're pinning that night. They just have the cadet commander and CDC pin on the insignia. I'm vehemently opposed to that methodology.

Fubar

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on February 19, 2020, 09:49:11 PMI've talked to people at cadet units who don't even let the cadet know that they're pinning that night. They just have the cadet commander and CDC pin on the insignia. I'm vehemently opposed to that methodology.

Concur. You have to include the cadet's family, if anything it helps with retention. The parent's pride-filled faces helps the cadets feel special for their accomplishment, encouraging pursuit of further advancement. It helps the parents understand why the weekly meetings, special activities, and paperwork chasing is worth it.

AndyA60

have to kind of agree with all of the statements. I am not seeing a real senior member program at all. You have the trained individuals who respond to S&R activity but the seniors seem to be funneled into babysitting. Which is fine if you have individuals who have grandkids in the program or kids, but I do not see most parents volunteering and the seniors who join hoping for an actual volunteer program where they can be civic contributors leave after finding out they are just called in to supervise the children. No matter where I search for info on senior programs, CADETS is the info that pops up. Why not just reword the senior program to "Parent Volunteers" and see how many actually sign up...very few.

PHall

You don't want to deal with cadets? Good luck with that but you can minimize your contact with cadets by being a member of a Senior Squadron.
Then you only have to babysit each other.

Holding Pattern

Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2020, 10:21:38 PMYou don't want to deal with cadets? Good luck with that but you can minimize your contact with cadets by being a member of a Senior Squadron.

My wing refuses to authorize SM squadrons, no matter how badly we want one.

SarDragon

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 24, 2020, 10:33:19 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2020, 10:21:38 PMYou don't want to deal with cadets? Good luck with that but you can minimize your contact with cadets by being a member of a Senior Squadron.

Then build up the SM side of your Composite squadron, with the SMs not involved in CP meeting on a different night for all but one meeting a month. For that one meeting, everyone gets together for general announcements, awards, etc.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Fester

Quote from: Holding Pattern on February 24, 2020, 10:33:19 PM

I'm not sure that I don't agree with that.  I've personally thought many times that there should only be one type of Squadron - Composite Squadrons.
1stLt, CAP
Squadron CC
Group CPO
Eaker - 1996

Eclipse

Quote from: Fester on February 25, 2020, 01:59:48 AMI'm not sure that I don't agree with that.  I've personally thought many times that there should only be one type of Squadron - Composite Squadrons.

Agree 100%.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

Mine is composite. But the Cadets meet upstairs and the Seniors upstairs. Occasional group meeting.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SarDragon

Quote from: etodd on February 25, 2020, 02:26:16 AMMine is composite. But the Cadets meet upstairs and the Seniors upstairs. Occasional group meeting.
Neat trick. Second floor and third floor?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

etodd

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2020, 05:39:33 AM
Quote from: etodd on February 25, 2020, 02:26:16 AMMine is composite. But the Cadets meet upstairs and the Seniors upstairs. Occasional group meeting.
Neat trick. Second floor and third floor?

Make it first and second.  LOL   
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

wacapgh

Quote from: Eclipse on February 25, 2020, 02:17:34 AM
Quote from: Fester on February 25, 2020, 01:59:48 AMI'm not sure that I don't agree with that.  I've personally thought many times that there should only be one type of Squadron - Composite Squadrons.

Agree 100%.

Since probably 90%+ of all units are NOT Senior or Cadet squadrons, maybe we should just designate them as " ABCD Squadron" and slowly phase out the use of "Composite".

SarDragon

How did you arrive at 90%?

Here's the CAWG breakdown:
16/67 Cadet (24%)
40/67 Composite (60%)
11/67 Senior (16%)

Admittedly, at least a few of the "Composite" units are functionally cadet squadrons, so that adds some bias.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2020, 09:01:53 PMAdmittedly, at least a few of the "Composite" units are functionally cadet squadrons, so that adds some bias.

We have that. We're chartered as a composite squadron, but most of our involvement comes from the cadet side of the house, whether the cadets themselves or those directly support cadet activities (leadership/training, testing, supply).

We've had a difficulty over the past few years holding onto senior members who want to do "senior member-only things," such as the sole ground pounders (and we don't have any aircraft, so no pilots). There's just no functional role right now for an independent "senior side" that doesn't interact with cadets. We basically have three members who are "on the senior side" that include the Finance Officer/Professional Development Officer, Admin Officer (rarely ever present), and Emergency Services Officer (who doesn't have any current qualifications and is intending to retire this spring).

Unless it's cadet-focused, there's not a whole lot for seniors to do. And we have an extremely active cadet operation going.

wacapgh

Quote from: SarDragon on February 25, 2020, 09:01:53 PMHow did you arrive at 90%?

Here's the CAWG breakdown:
16/67 Cadet (24%)
40/67 Composite (60%)
11/67 Senior (16%)

Admittedly, at least a few of the "Composite" units are functionally cadet squadrons, so that adds some bias.

SWAG :)
However, those CA numbers show a 60% majority. There are several wings that do not allow Cadet or Senior squadrons to be chartered (as posted above), so that's 100% "Composite" moving the "default" value in that direction.

We now return to your original topic :)

Eclipse

Quote from: wacapgh on February 26, 2020, 07:31:08 PMThere are several wings that do not allow Cadet or Senior squadrons to be chartered

Cite please.

"That Others May Zoom"

jeders

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2020, 08:16:05 PM
Quote from: wacapgh on February 26, 2020, 07:31:08 PMThere are several wings that do not allow Cadet or Senior squadrons to be chartered

Cite please.

Eight out of 52 wings, ~15%, have only composite squadrons (not including the legislative squadron). Some of these, such as South Dakota, Montana, Idaho are probably because of the fact that there aren't enough people to necessitate or even allow for specialization. Others, however, are likely due to wing edicts disallowing (either explicitly or implicitly) anything but composite squadrons. This comes by scrolling through the list of all CAP units as listed in eServices.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Eclipse

Are the Names in that accurate enough?  I don't think you have to have the word in the name to be that thing.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2020, 10:00:32 PMAre the Names in that accurate enough?  I don't think you have to have the word in the name to be that thing.

That is correct, although it is much more common than not. I do not recall all that many units without the squadron type in the name.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

baronet68

Quote from: Eclipse on February 26, 2020, 08:16:05 PM

Cite please.

While not formally documented, my wing will only charter composite squadrons.
Michael Moore, Lt Col, CAP
National Recruiting & Retention Manager