Airborne Repeaters

Started by scooter, October 17, 2009, 04:11:34 PM

scooter

Does anyone out there have a checklist or "how to" on installing/use of an airborne repeater in the G1000 182 aircraft? Thanks.

FastAttack

ala HighBird or an actual repeater?

wuzafuzz

Quote from: scooter on October 17, 2009, 04:11:34 PM
Does anyone out there have a checklist or "how to" on installing/use of an airborne repeater in the G1000 182 aircraft? Thanks.
PM sent
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

scooter

emertins: the airborne repeater is installed/used in highbird when needed.

Thanks Eric.

FastAttack

Quote from: scooter on October 18, 2009, 12:14:54 AM

Thanks Eric.

hehe, what i meant was a human repeater.. your observer/scanner acting as a relay ;)

scooter

So now we have an electronic MO/MS. No one to watch over the pilot  ;)

RiverAux

Though we have apparently come up with another new ES qualificaiton for Highbird radio operators.  Like the airborne photographer designation I strongly suspect that it won't actually be used in the field. 

SarDragon

We have had several opportunities to use airborne photographers here in CAWG in the last couple of years. It's something we practice when we have the opportunity in my unit.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Quote from: emertins on October 18, 2009, 02:37:51 AM
Quote from: scooter on October 18, 2009, 12:14:54 AM

Thanks Eric.

hehe, what i meant was a human repeater.. your observer/scanner acting as a relay ;)

Otherwise known as "High Bird".

RiverAux

Quote from: SarDragon on October 19, 2009, 01:42:54 AM
We have had several opportunities to use airborne photographers here in CAWG in the last couple of years. It's something we practice when we have the opportunity in my unit.
I wasn't disputing the value of people able to take photos from airplanes.  I was talking about the new "Airborne Photographer" ES qualification.  I have found that anybody can take the photos with about 5 minutes of training, but that it is the person (should be the observer) who is writing down information about what the photo is that is the break-point on photo sorties. 

Short Field

^^^ You mean the guy who makes sure that the photo log matches the number of photos taken!  A good MO is worth his weight in gold.  I have debriefed too many sorties where the photo log showed 12 photos taken - generic names - no coordinates, and they download 108 photos from the camera.....  ::)
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

RiverAux

Exactly.  And that same MO SHOULD be able to relay radio messages without having to have a special ES qualification to do it. 

Now, we don't know how this qual is going to roll out, BUT if this is meant to allow highbird flights to use those who are not MOs or MSs to relay radio messages with minimal training, I suppose that would be all right and could be of some use.  I suppose I would have that same opinion if the Airborne Photographer rating is used the same way.

desertengineer1

We plan to use the snot out of these things out here.  We extensively use the Neutec airborne repeaters, so this is a welcome resource.

High bird manual relays should be far down your list of priority.   That's what a good comm plan is for.  :)

PHall

Quote from: desertengineer1 on October 19, 2009, 03:38:32 PM
We plan to use the snot out of these things out here.  We extensively use the Neutec airborne repeaters, so this is a welcome resource.

High bird manual relays should be far down your list of priority.   That's what a good comm plan is for.  :)

We've used them when the terrain prevents normal repeater access and when we also have another agency's aircraft (county sheriff) working with us.
The High Bird relays for everybody.

FastAttack

Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2009, 02:51:32 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on October 19, 2009, 01:42:54 AM
I wasn't disputing the value of people able to take photos from airplanes.  I was talking about the new "Airborne Photographer" ES qualification.  I have found that anybody can take the photos with about 5 minutes of training, but that it is the person (should be the observer) who is writing down information about what the photo is that is the break-point on photo sorties.

Not sure how much information i can divulge but if you check the RECON training in florida , Airborne photography would make a lot more sense.

Anyhow I been on the right seat acting as the "human repeater" yes aka highbird. 
This was just for our simulated mission for RECON. And man was that hard to do.

I am not sure why its not a requirement anymore to be both  a MO and MSO.

going back to topic :

Being completely honest I don't think any of the airplanes down here have an electronic repeater, other than the 182-t we have in south Florida. But I've yet to fly it being that its been called out for a month or so.
Maybe someone from florida can correct me on that one if any of the 172's have one.

Eclipse

Quote from: RiverAux on October 18, 2009, 09:40:00 PM
Though we have apparently come up with another new ES qualificaiton for Highbird radio operators.  Like the airborne photographer designation I strongly suspect that it won't actually be used in the field.

Already are.

Many highbird sorties in my wing are done with an MRO and a TMP.  This puts appropriately trained and scaled people in the seats and eliminates the temptation of IC's and AOBD's to move a highbird off-station to assist with searching.

As to airborne photographer, NESA's class is based on the draft curriculum and my wing has already done training classes for a large group who will receive the rating once its implemented.  The skill is sorely needed.

Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2009, 02:51:32 AMI have found that anybody can take the photos with about 5 minutes of training...

Yes, anyone can point a camera and capture photons with 5 minutes of training.  With that level of attention you will have a substantial collection of curvature of the earth photos,  160x160 images of people's left eye, wings, wheel struts, and similar.

To take quality, customer-grade photos takes considerably longer in both experience and training.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: emertins on October 20, 2009, 03:06:57 AM
Being completely honest I don't think any of the airplanes down here have an electronic repeater, other than the 182-t we have in south Florida. But I've yet to fly it being that its been called out for a month or so.
Maybe someone from florida can correct me on that one if any of the 172's have one.

To my knowledge, none of our aircraft have permanent repeaters, they are all using brief-case type setups sitting on the back seat or in the cargo area, connected to external power and antenna jacks.

National is in the process of deploying a lot of them, and retro-fitting airframes that don't have the proper connections and antennas.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarMaster

Florida Wing has several portable Airborne Repeaters....takes about 10 min to install and bam...your on the air!  yes....narrowband too!

FLWG has a unique mission for the State of Florida for Post Impact airborne Assessment.  We have a 18 hour training course for Aircrews to take pictures.  We have some pretty cool technology to automatically log the GPS and such. Instead of using the ridiculous xls spreadsheet!  Crew flies sortie, uploads images and GPS Data to server and automatically you see it watermarked, geo-referenced, and on google maps. No more hand written logs!  Yipeeee!

In a disaster High bird is essential.  you will probably fly the repeater and still have a MO or MS relaying on another freq....especially with the FL RECON mission. 

With that said  it is essential that all MS and MO be very proficient in radio procedures and message handling.
Semper Gumby!

sdcapmx

The new repeaters are about as slick as can be.  You strap them in the back seat, hook up the antenna to the BNC connector already install in the newer 182s and plug in the power cord.  Make sure the AC has had the power plugs checked as some were wired wrong and could supply 28v to a 12v repeater.  Not good...

FastAttack

Quote from: SarMaster on October 20, 2009, 06:06:41 PM
Florida Wing has several portable Airborne Repeaters....takes about 10 min to install and bam...your on the air!  yes....narrowband too!

FLWG has a unique mission for the State of Florida for Post Impact airborne Assessment.  We have a 18 hour training course for Aircrews to take pictures.  We have some pretty cool technology to automatically log the GPS and such. Instead of using the ridiculous xls spreadsheet!  Crew flies sortie, uploads images and GPS Data to server and automatically you see it watermarked, geo-referenced, and on google maps. No more hand written logs!  Yipeeee!

In a disaster High bird is essential.  you will probably fly the repeater and still have a MO or MS relaying on another freq....especially with the FL RECON mission. 

With that said  it is essential that all MS and MO be very proficient in radio procedures and message handling.

I am RECON qualified for Florida.. and I flew as a High Bird MRO. ( I wasn't formed 5'd when i did my training) I thought i was going to die writing all the assessments and logging all the communications.
The scanner on the back was doing training as well ( he was another pilot) and had fun taking pics with the camera.

When we were done we played with the recon photo uploads.
it was a neat tool and it was informative as far as how to take photos and marry the times with the gps tracking.