AF getting light airplanes again

Started by RiverAux, August 04, 2009, 08:20:04 PM

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: SarDragon on February 02, 2010, 01:48:26 AM
The March 2010 issue of the Air & Space Smithsonian magazine has an article about the military's latest look at the Bronco. Boeing is apparently pitching an upgraded version to the services.

Available here.

Take a look at the video on the link.....Have a 172 or 182 do those taxi tests......

Senior

I agree that the OV-10 would be a good choice.  It has already
been proven in combat.  That video from A&Space seems to be showing a plane with the engine smoking.  I have seen some Broncos
on the NASA channel in NASA colors.  I wonder if they will put the pilots in a titanium bathtub?  I would say the Skyraider is my second
choice.  Proven combat record, can ruin the bad guys day.  Taildragger
though.  If I had all the money in the world I would have the OV-10
as a personal aircraft.  That looks like one fun  plane to fly. ;)

Gunner C

The only problem with the A-1 is that it has a reciprocating engine.  The military, with very few exceptions, has no avgas at bases.  The OV-10 is a great aircraft but is lightly (if at all) armored doesn't carry a great deal of weapons.  The A-1 carries more bombs than a B-17, not to mention an A-1 got an air-to-air victory against a MiG. 

I've seen a proposed resurrection of the Mustang with lots of bombs and a turbine engine.  It was mentioned that one of the downsides was "tail dragger."  Who cares?  It takes a few hours to learn to land one if you're a tricycle guy.

MikeD

Quote from: Senior on February 05, 2010, 01:50:25 AM
I agree that the OV-10 would be a good choice.  It has already
been proven in combat.  That video from A&Space seems to be showing a plane with the engine smoking.  I have seen some Broncos
on the NASA channel in NASA colors.  I wonder if they will put the pilots in a titanium bathtub?  I would say the Skyraider is my second
choice.  Proven combat record, can ruin the bad guys day.  Taildragger
though.  If I had all the money in the world I would have the OV-10
as a personal aircraft.  That looks like one fun  plane to fly. ;)

NASA Langley Research Center in Hampton VA had at least one.  I'm not sure if they have one, they are pretty short on full-sized aircraft now.  Dryden is the main flight research/test center now, that has most of the aircraft and all the fighters. 

DC

Quote from: SarDragon on February 02, 2010, 08:12:04 AM
Well, from what I've read about the requirements, it fails on two counts - too fast, and only one seat, the latter actually being the more serious of the two.
Wow. I don't think I've ever heard the A-10 described as being too fast. :o

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret