Main Menu

Some Ribbon Trivia

Started by Flying Pig, December 04, 2019, 07:10:16 PM

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on December 05, 2019, 07:42:55 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 05, 2019, 07:39:06 PM
Thanks for making my collection of gongs look like junk. Guess they'll make great key fobs now....

Right? I mean, I never had reason to wear medals in the Army National Guard (except when I got dress blues for my wedding.. Can't remember what I did for decorations then), so the suspension medal with device went essentially "unworn," hence why I wanted to stash it in the middle of my jingle-jangles on my CAP mess dress for fun.

You should get a waiver for it. There's precedent for getting permission to wear a state award, and now that you're a wing king you should have a sword...I'm gonna make mine into ornaments for the tree....stupid non-sword medals....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on December 05, 2019, 07:58:04 PM
You should get a waiver for it. There's precedent for getting permission to wear a state award, and now that you're a wing king you should have a sword...I'm gonna make mine into ornaments for the tree....stupid non-sword medals....

There may be precedent, but I no longer live in the state for which I was awarded the longevity device. Plus, I wasn't awarded whatever award it was for some kind of Guard - CAP - State Military Department cooperative thing as a member of CAP, only as a Guard soldier.   A waiver request would be on thin ice from day one. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

PHall

Thanks for making my collection of gongs look like junk. Guess they'll make great key fobs now....

Right? I mean, I never had reason to wear medals in the Army National Guard (except when I got dress blues for my wedding.. Can't remember what I did for decorations then), so the suspension medal with device went essentially "unworn," hence why I wanted to stash it in the middle of my jingle-jangles on my CAP mess dress for fun.

No waivers available. CAP-USAF will not even consider it. They have been requested by people fairly high in the food chain and even they had no effect.

PHall

If CAP was under the National Guard Bureau there might, and that's a pretty big might, have a case to wear State Awards and Decorations on the Air Force style uniforms. Because in theory we would have the two statuses like the Guard does. Federal vs State  -  Air Force Assigned Mission vs Non Air Force Assigned Mission aka Corporate Mission.
They've had the chance to do this a couple times in the past but nothing has happened.

THRAWN

Quote from: PHall on December 05, 2019, 08:49:55 PM

No waivers available. CAP-USAF will not even consider it. They have been requested by people fairly high in the food chain and even they had no effect.

Not correct. There is a photo of a member on this site, wearing a state award he got a waiver for.

And here's the thread: http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=20651.0
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Flying Pig

Dang......  I didnt expect this many responses ;D

PHall

Quote from: THRAWN on December 05, 2019, 09:05:15 PM

Not correct. There is a photo of a member on this site, wearing a state award he got a waiver for.

There's a photo in that thread? Because I didn't find one.

THRAWN

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 05, 2019, 09:25:10 PM
Dang......  I didnt expect this many responses ;D

Like I said, this is enjoyable! Who knew we had so many Zimbabwean award winners?
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on December 05, 2019, 09:25:58 PM
Quote from: THRAWN on December 05, 2019, 09:05:15 PM

There's a photo in that thread? Because I didn't find one.

The pictures no longer load, but the posts cover the situation. Read all the way to the bottom.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

HaroldBuchanan

Quote from: PHall on December 05, 2019, 06:31:59 PM
Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on December 05, 2019, 01:06:31 PM
I am going to request a new CAP ribbon. All seven colors of the rainbow. For the largest and longest comparison of CAP ribbons to other countries, be these former or current ones.

The Army beat you on that about 40 years ago. The Army Training Ribbon. You get it for completing Basic Training.

I think you are speaking of the Army Service Ribbon - which lacks purple(and indigo if you are a 7 colors fanatic)  1981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Ribbon
LtCol Harold Buchanan
OR-042
DCP
Retired US Army

GaryVC

QuoteI can remember in the late 1970's seeing Army Captains who had no ribbons at all.  But that was more than 40 years ago, ribbon inflation must have started just after that.

That happened occasionally in the Air Force. I had a copilot who had been in the delayed entry program for so long that he made Captain before he got to 4 years active duty (it which point you got a ribbon). The national defense service ribbon's time had ended (we used to call it the alive in 65 ribbon). Soon after the AF added a bunch of new ribbons: training, overseas tours, etc. so people didn't look like bus drivers.

Flying Pig

Quote from: HaroldBuchanan on December 14, 2019, 08:27:18 AM
I am going to request a new CAP ribbon. All seven colors of the rainbow. For the largest and longest comparison of CAP ribbons to other countries, be these former or current ones.

The Army beat you on that about 40 years ago. The Army Training Ribbon. You get it for completing Basic Training.

I think you are speaking of the Army Service Ribbon - which lacks purple(and indigo if you are a 7 colors fanatic)  1981

I like wearing my Marine Corps ribbons with my Army Service Ribbon.   I can see "stolen valor" on the tip of peoples tongues :)

PHall

Quote from: Flying Pig on December 16, 2019, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: HaroldBuchanan on December 14, 2019, 08:27:18 AM

I like wearing my Marine Corps ribbons with my Army Service Ribbon.   I can see "stolen valor" on the tip of peoples tongues :)

In the Guard and Reserves it wouldn't even get noticed. Lots of people in the Guard and Reserve have served in more then one branch.

Shuman 14

QuoteIn the Guard and Reserves it wouldn't even get noticed. Lots of people in the Guard and Reserve have served in more then one branch.

Yep. I have ribbons from three different Branches and no one questions them.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

Kayll'b

C/Capt

Mitchell # 69847

Squadron Cadet Leadership officer

GCAC Recorder

GroundHawg

Quote from: shuman14 on December 23, 2019, 04:35:48 PM
QuoteIn the Guard and Reserves it wouldn't even get noticed. Lots of people in the Guard and Reserve have served in more then one branch.

Yep. I have ribbons from three different Branches and no one questions them.

I did/do not have that same experience. I actually carry a copy of my NGB22 and DD214 when I am in uniform because of the flak I take for my odd rack and badge combination. I served in multiple branches and I have ribbons from 4 branches, badges from 3, as well as state, civilian, and foreign awards as well. My guess is that your status as a LTC and mine as enlisted might have something to do with it.

Shuman 14

QuoteI did/do not have that same experience. I actually carry a copy of my NGB22 and DD214 when I am in uniform because of the flak I take for my odd rack and badge combination. I served in multiple branches and I have ribbons from 4 branches, badges from 3, as well as state, civilian, and foreign awards as well. My guess is that your status as a LTC and mine as enlisted might have something to do with it.

Sorry to hear that. I only had an issue once as a CPT, with an LTC, was able to go straight into iPERMS and provide the requested documentation. Word gets around after that.
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

SarDragon

Quote from: Kayll'b on December 23, 2019, 06:41:04 PM
https://ifunny.co/meme/that-is-100-a-cap-encampment-ribbon-Pmok5hNN6

The Encampment ribbon is one thing, but the Antarctica Service and WWII Occupation ribbons on the left side are even better. Can't figure out what the 3rd one is.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

Love the mixture here. US Colonel grade insignia on his shirt collar but what appears to be RAF Group Commander grade insignia on his epaulets.
Not to mention the US Combat Infantryman Badge, Master Parachutist Badge (aka Master Blaster Wings) and a Pathfinder Badge.

PHall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 24, 2019, 02:56:11 AM
Quote from: Kayll'b on December 23, 2019, 06:41:04 PM
https://ifunny.co/meme/that-is-100-a-cap-encampment-ribbon-Pmok5hNN6

The Encampment ribbon is one thing, but the Antarctica Service and WWII Occupation ribbons on the left side are even better. Can't figure out what the 3rd one is.

Ever look at The Parade Store, aka Glendale's catalog in the ribbon section? It's probably in there somewhere. You can even design your own.