Main Menu

headgear in van

Started by LegacyAirman, January 16, 2016, 01:26:25 AM

LegacyAirman

It seems like I remember a discussion about this, but I can't find it. Anyone remember it and know where to find it? Thanks.

MSG Mac

Use the search function at the top of the page.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

LegacyAirman

I tried several variations of hat/cap/van/inside, etc and mainly got old topics with those words, but not what I remember.

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LegacyAirman

Thank you. Those are good. I still remember someone posting something up an experiment with videos of the senior member wearing or not wearing headgear. It was also mentioned that 39-1 is silent on the issue (as was/is 35-10/36-2903).

Storm Chaser

We follow the same rules and traditions as the Air Force. Hats (cover is not an Air Force or CAP term) are normally worn outdoors only, unless there's a designated "No Hat-No Salute" area. A member can wear their hat while in a vehicle, but it's not required.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

LegacyAirman

Boom! That's what I was thinking of. My squadron was in a parade. I wore my Service Dress (with flight cap). I ended up driving and wore my cap, thinking it looked more formal. I heard someone mention something about whether we should be wearing headgear in a vehicle and I ignored them, wanting to post this up after I got home. Thank you! (Did the Mess Dress fit OK Colonel?)

NIN

Quote from: LegacyAirman on January 16, 2016, 02:52:00 PM
Boom! That's what I was thinking of. My squadron was in a parade. I wore my Service Dress (with flight cap). I ended up driving and wore my cap, thinking it looked more formal. I heard someone mention something about whether we should be wearing headgear in a vehicle and I ignored them, wanting to post this up after I got home. Thank you! (Did the Mess Dress fit OK Colonel?)

mess dress fit like a dream

(me, on the right, with three guys from CadetStuff. Two of whom I'd known for years online only and literally only met that week, and of course, the incomparable Colonel John Knowles.)

ETA: Actually, this pic shows more CAP-Talkers:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Luis R. Ramos

Why didn't you identify them? Some of us want to place faces to the handles used here... Or would you need permission from them to do so?
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

THRAWN

Where is Korona's hair?!!? And on a more serious note, how is Colonel Knowles able to wear the Maryland Distinguished Service Cross? It's a Maryland state award and I thought those were no-go...
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

NIN

Quote from: THRAWN on January 16, 2016, 10:55:11 PM
Where is Korona's hair?!!? And on a more serious note, how is Colonel Knowles able to wear the Maryland Distinguished Service Cross? It's a Maryland state award and I thought those were no-go...

Aww man, I lost the bet that someone would turn this into a uniform thread in less than an hour.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

THRAWN

Psst...it is a uniform thread. But seriously, I cant wear my Maryland awards, why is a colonel who should know better...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on January 16, 2016, 10:30:57 PM
Why didn't you identify them? Some of us want to place faces to the handles used here... Or would you need permission from them to do so?

On the picture with the CAPTalk-ers:

From left to right:
1.  Cannot place the name
2.  Nin
3.  Col John Knowles
4.  Ned
5.  Lordmonar
6.  elkorona
7.  Jeders

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

Garibaldi

We went south today to take a tour of the Warner Robins AFB museum. When we  got in the van, I took my hat off, and one of the cadets said "Oh, the Major took his hat off, everyone." So, they followed by example.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

kwe1009

Almost 30 years in the Air Force and I never heard of issues with wearing hats in vehicles until I joined CAP. 

NIN

That's Al Sayre from MS Wing on the far left. Not sure Al's on here or not.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

THRAWN

AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Storm Chaser

Quote from: kwe1009 on January 17, 2016, 01:11:13 AM
Almost 30 years in the Air Force and I never heard of issues with wearing hats in vehicles until I joined CAP.

Welcome to CAP! >:D

MSG Mac

Quote from: THRAWN on January 16, 2016, 11:08:14 PM
Psst...it is a uniform thread. But seriously, I cant wear my Maryland awards, why is a colonel who should know better...

I asked him several months ago, when I saw a picture of him wearing the award. He said the Maryland AG awarded it and the National Commander ( who was also in the picture), didn't say anything when he wore it.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

PHall

Quote from: MSG Mac on January 17, 2016, 04:30:41 PM

I asked him several months ago, when I saw a picture of him wearing the award. He said the Maryland AG awarded it and the National Commander ( who was also in the picture), didn't say anything when he wore it.

That's a BS answer. Just because the boss didn't say anything it must be okay?

John, I know you'll read this. So, what's that line about integrity? "Doing the right thing even when nobody is watching?"

THRAWN

I have awards from 3 states. They are no go on CAP uniforms no matter who else is in the picture.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Garibaldi

Quote from: THRAWN on January 17, 2016, 07:47:27 PM

I have awards from 3 states. They are no go on CAP uniforms no matter who else is in the picture.

Just because they didn't notice or say anything, doesn't mean you can wear whatever.

NIN

ISTR that there was something about CAP Wing Commanders in MD being awarded that by the AG or something, and it was "OK'd per NHQ".

If folks want to ask him, his email is right there in the CAP directory in eServices. I'm sure he'll answer your kindly worded question.

Otherwise, posting here about it is just tilting at windmills.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

THRAWN

Just sent Colonel Knowles an email. I will report back with any response.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

PHall

Quote from: NIN on January 17, 2016, 08:01:06 PM

ISTR that there was something about CAP Wing Commanders in MD being awarded that by the AG or something, and it was "OK'd per NHQ".

If folks want to ask him, his email is right there in the CAP directory in eServices. I'm sure he'll answer your kindly worded question.

Otherwise, posting here about it is just tilting at windmills.

There's a big difference in being green lighted by National to receive the award vs being okay to wear it.

Chappie

I'm in the top photo - 2nd from the left (Ch, Lt Col Paul Ward)
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Luis R. Ramos

Thank you for the response, Chaplain!
Squadron Safety Officer

NIN

Quote from: Chappie on January 18, 2016, 01:44:27 AM

I'm in the top photo - 2nd from the left (Ch, Lt Col Paul Ward)

Doggone it Paul, I didn't realize you were Chappie here. Durrrr.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

SarDragon

Took him long enough to out himself.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on January 18, 2016, 06:58:52 AM
St00pid phone.

Speaking of which, on Saturday Spam and I were talking about me checking out a computer from the unit to use for squadron business. He said he thought I had one of my own, and I said no, currently I'm doing all my work on my phone. Hard to do e-services stuff on my phone, blah blah blah. He gave me a weird look and said "You mean to tell me you do ALL THAT POSTING TO CAPTALK ON YOUR PHONE???" I nodded, and he shook his head. "All I can say is, fast thumbs," he mumbled.

Al Sayre

Quote from: NIN on January 17, 2016, 04:08:05 AM

Speak of the devil and up he pops.... >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

NIN

Quote from: Al Sayre on January 18, 2016, 02:09:47 PM
Quote from: NIN on January 17, 2016, 04:08:05 AM

Speak of the devil and up he pops....

Like summoning Beetlejuice
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Shuman 14

Don't say that two more times!  :P
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present

ironputts

I take my hat off for all those medals! I stopped at 21.....
Greg Putnam, Lt. Col., CAP

THRAWN

I got a response for Colonel Knowles. Here is the core of it "The CAP/CC has authorized me to wear it with my mess dress."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023