Blue Beret and ABUs

Started by CAPed Crusader, June 06, 2018, 10:03:05 PM

kwe1009

Quote from: isuhawkeye on June 14, 2018, 01:20:12 PM
Quote from: francisderosa16 on June 14, 2018, 12:45:51 AM
Also,
I recently encountered a Cadet at an air show in CAP Blues with a blue beret on, is this permitted?

Do color guards still wear the beret occasionally, or is that a thing of the past?

They can wear the beret but only if authorized by the Wing CC.

Spam

... In writing, via a Wing (or higher) Supplement to 39-1, which is approved by National HQ, and is posted on the national web site.

kwe1009

Quote from: Spam on June 14, 2018, 08:35:32 PM

... In writing, via a Wing (or higher) Supplement to 39-1, which is approved by National HQ, and is posted on the national web site.

The "approved by NHQ and on the national website" is the part that many Wings and Regions seem to forget.  No supplement is valid unless it is on the national website.

abdsp51

Quote from: kwe1009 on June 15, 2018, 01:16:12 PM
Quote from: Spam on June 14, 2018, 08:35:32 PM

The "approved by NHQ and on the national website" is the part that many Wings and Regions seem to forget.  No supplement is valid unless it is on the national website.

And no supplement overrides the parent instruction.  Not to mention that in the ICLs covering ABU wear it is specifically mentioned that berets and red hats are not authorized with ABUs.

Eclipse

Just going to leave this here...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on June 10, 2018, 07:35:43 PM
I think the practice of calling NBB graduates "Berets" derives from a certain military group founded in 1952. The United States Army Special Forces are colloquially known as the Green Berets due to their distinctive service headgear. I acknowledge the difference between the two organizations, so let's stay off that path.

I called a Special Forces soldier a "Green Beret" one time, he quickly educated me that he was not a hat. Out of curiosity, I did the same thing with another one that was not around for the previous conversation. Got the same response.

The people that call them "Green Berets," usually have nothing to do with them.

That being said, I'm a little averse to the idea of referring to graduates of the NBB activity "Berets." It sounds odd, and can be very off-putting. I think it's a practice that needs to be discontinued.

You can call someone a "beret wearer" all day, no issue there. But, labeling them as a "Beret" is weird.  It also strikes me as lazy. Instead of "they have a blue beret," or "they were awarded a blue beret," or "they wear a beret;" someone is saying "they're a beret." Laziness in communication causes miscommunication. And, as has someone has said before, it sounds cultish, or could be misconstrued as artificial elitism.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 04, 2018, 02:44:05 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on June 10, 2018, 07:35:43 PM
I think the practice of calling NBB graduates "Berets" derives from a certain military group founded in 1952. The United States Army Special Forces are colloquially known as the Green Berets due to their distinctive service headgear. I acknowledge the difference between the two organizations, so let's stay off that path.

I called a Special Forces soldier a "Green Beret" one time, he quickly educated me that he was not a hat. Out of curiosity, I did the same thing with another one that was not around for the previous conversation. Got the same response.

The people that call them "Green Berets," usually have nothing to do with them.

That being said, I'm a little averse to the idea of referring to graduates of the NBB activity "Berets." It sounds odd, and can be very off-putting. I think it's a practice that needs to be discontinued.

You can call someone a "beret wearer" all day, no issue there. But, labeling them as a "Beret" is weird.  It also strikes me as lazy. Instead of "they have a blue beret," or "they were awarded a blue beret," or "they wear a beret;" someone is saying "they're a beret." Laziness in communication causes miscommunication. And, as has someone has said before, it sounds cultish, or could be misconstrued as artificial elitism.

Just as "SEAL" is a function, not a title (i.e., "SEAL Team Leader," "SEAL Team Member"). "SPECWAR" is the colloquial designation (i.e., "I was SPECWAR").

Now go around and tell the general public "Don't call them that. That's not their title." Good luck.

The ridiculous of where this thread went is astounding.

Pace

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on July 05, 2018, 01:30:11 PM
The ridiculous of where this thread went is astounding.
I agree. See y'all for the next one.
*click*
Lt Col, CAP