U.S. Air force auxiliary base

Started by usafcap1, October 30, 2014, 09:15:52 PM

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

RiverAux

The Air Force has been using that term forever.  Never has had anything to do with us.

Luis R. Ramos

I didn't see the author trying to make a connection with CAP.

As a matter of fact, I wonder what made him post this link to the base as I do not see a connection with CAP, any events happening to us, or anything happening in the Air Force resulting in this base having acquired any notoriety!
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

jeders

My guess is that the OP saw the headline and read it as USAF Auxiliary Airfield instead of USAF auxiliary airfield. Nonetheless, this makes a great teaching moment for the OP. An auxiliary airfield is just that, an auxiliary or secondary operating location for aircraft and is attached to a primary operating location.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FW

Just as an interesting side note; the state of PA granted PAWG CAP the use of KPSB (Mid State Airport)  and exclusive use of the terminal as an air base.  It was the closest thing we had to a real CAP Air Base.  Unfortunately, the wing found it a bit too expensive after a few years of operation and, closed the "base" down.  It was nice while it lasted though.

Garibaldi

There's a website I occasionally peruse, which deals with old and forgotten airports. What I've seen are those USAAC/USAAF fields that were used for training. They may have been CAP fields from when we trained pilots way back when, but the designators were clearly marked on aero charts as an auxiliary field. I'll see if I can't dust off a link or two as examples.

This is what I was thinking of...
http://www.airfields-freeman.com/NM/Airfields_NM_Roswell.html
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Luis R. Ramos

Actually the auxiliary air fields are titled as [Place Name] Air Force Auxiliary Field or [Place Name] Air Force Auxiliary Air Field.

You may be trying to say he saw it as United States Air Force Auxiliary airfield?[/i]
Squadron Safety Officer

AC

I just returned from a reunion at Hurlburt Field, FL. Back in the day we used to call it Field 9, as it was Auxiliary Field 9.

The real reason I posted in this thread is...  I used to be stationed at the Gila Bend Gunnery Range early in my AF career!

Terence Maroste      "We're Paratroopers, Lieutenant. We're
Maj, CAP                   supposed to be surrounded."
AEO
SWR-TX-293                  -Captain Richard Winters

RiverAux

Quote from: Luis R. Ramos on October 30, 2014, 09:30:02 PM
I didn't see the author trying to make a connection with CAP.

Well, when all they do is post a link on a CAP board without any other comment, a guy has to make some assumptions.

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^I agree with my esteemed colleague.

I know that the Air Force has several "auxiliary bases," some of which are probably used for training as simulated FOL's.

The Navy has NOLF's (Naval Outlying Fields) that they use, and I would guess Marine and CG aircraft use them too.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

sarmed1

Especially FL

Eglin has a number of Aux fields in addition to Hurlbert. Duke field (field 3) is still in active use... the others are also "active" but, most are not used as airfields. (Ranger school...Camp Rudder, is actually field 6)

When I lived at DM as an aggressor guy most of out E&E exercises with the SERE guys were held out at Gila Bend.  A number of the small airports around DM are either DM or Marana aux fields as well

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

Nuke52

Quote from: RiverAux on November 03, 2014, 09:13:43 PM
Well, when all they do is post a link on a CAP board without any other comment, a guy has to make some assumptions.

Has to?   ???
Lt Col
Wilson Awd

Luis R. Ramos

My feelings exactly when I read it, but wanted to leave it alone. Now I cannot!   >:D

I guess if he does not assume something, rivers will overflow.

...something, there will be earthquakes.

...something, CAP will stop meeting and swallowed into the ground!

...something, we will never have Spring!

...something, the moon will become a Swiss cheese ball!

...something, in short the world will stop turning!

:-\   >:D
Squadron Safety Officer

RiverAux

I consider it his punishment for just posting a link without saying why in the world he thinks its relevant to CAP