Why did you become a squadron commander?

Started by usafcap1, July 28, 2014, 08:32:07 AM

usafcap1

Why did you become a squadron commander?

Thank you.

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

LSThiker

Some one raise your hand.........Congrats on accepting the commander position.

lordmonar

The previous commander stopped coming to meetings.  I went to his office to get the keys for the building so I could get the cadets in....and he said I need to do a CAPF 42.   He was wrong I needed to do a 27a.  :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Tim Medeiros

I showed up to the squadron a few months prior, with my eServices print-out in hand asking where I could help.  Little did I know that the commander was in their last couple of months.  I should have noticed the desperation in their eyes.  That was August, chats were had with the next higher commander in October, seeing there wasn't someone as qualified or better, nor willing at the time, I said yes.  Jan 3rd 2012 I was given the squadron flag, it's been a journey ever since.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

Eclipse

The "seasoned" current commander was coming up on his term limit (after 17 some years as CC).

It was decided by the Group CC that a new direction was needed and that cadets should be brought back to the unit
after a 10+ year absence.  Unofficial discussions ensued (since then a more formal process for CC selection is in place),
and I stepped up (the field, as usual, was not very deep).

Awesome experience, but I had a great group of people with strong experience who wanted to get things done.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

I was the deputy commander.  The commander decided to quit.  I became the commander.

NC Hokie

The previous commander reached the end of his term and needed to be replaced.  I was Deputy Commander for Cadets, wanted the position (I know, crazy, right?), and had his recommendation for it.

If you're looking for something deeper, I was getting a little bored with CAP and wanted a new challenge.  I definitely got what I was looking for!
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

JeffDG

Quote from: FW on July 28, 2014, 05:44:53 PM
I was the deputy commander.  The commander decided to quit.  I became the commander.

Shhhh...I'm a Deputy Commander right now.  I don't want the Commander to get wind of the option of quitting.

Angus

I'm in the process of taking a command.  Just waiting for a few things to be wrapped up first.  I took it because the opportunity was too good not to take it. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Luis R. Ramos

Previous CC had been there for 5 years...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

dwb

I was the DCC, previous commander wanted to step down.

If I'm being honest, I was excited about the idea of being Sq CC. After a couple of years I'd had enough. It's a really hard job, and I commend anyone who signs up for it.

jeders

I was late to a meeting and got volunteered.  >:D

Actually, I was away working on my Master's degree and serving as the DCC for that squadron, but I kept in touch with my old squadron which I knew I would be returning to once my degree was done. About 8 months or so before my degree was done, my old squadron had a change of command. When the new commander sent out an email soliciting applicants for various staff positions I told him that I would like to work with cadet programs when I returned. So when I finished my degree and moved back home, I became the DCC of my old squadron, which I enjoyed. The commander and I got along well and worked together wonderfully, but he didn't get along with the wing commander (long looooong story involving third parties making false accusations and muddying the waters). So when his 12 months were up (the minimum for the command service ribbon) he wanted to step down and he asked me to do it. After a lot of thought (and a few trips to the psychiatrist  >:D) I stepped up and took the job.

I had the job for about 14 months and had to step down for personal reasons, though I wish that I had stayed for at least a couple of years.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SarDragon

I was in an overseas squadron, and when the AF E-7 commander transferred out, i was the only other senior member eligible for command. I was commander for about 5 months, until I transferred. My replacement was another sailor, and former Spaatz cadet.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

rustyjeeper

Quote from: Angus on July 28, 2014, 07:44:28 PM
I'm in the process of taking a command.  Just waiting for a few things to be wrapped up first.  I took it because the opportunity was too good not to take it.

Big pay raise????
Good luck Angus you will do well :)

TarRiverRat

I was Deputy Commander for Seniors and the Commander was leaving.  I wanted to help out my Squadron and agreed to take it.  It was the best and at time the worst thing that I did.  Still glad that I did take it.  This was back in the late 90's.
Tar River Composite Squadron "River Rats" NC-057

MSG Mac

I was the Deputy Commander for Seniors. Because the National Guard conflicted with the Commanders Call I didn't attend. That evening I was informed that our CC had been canned and I was the new CC.

Second time our Commander wanted to step down and the next in line was sick and couldn't take the job. A few months later he asked me to step down because his MDs said he was healthy. I wanted to move to Maryland so I agreed. Unfortunately he died of cancer within 3 months.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Mitchell 1969

I was a brand new Warrant Officer on Group staff. The new group commander learned that one of her squadron commanders (a somewhat famous author, Lt Col) had been "promoting" people without benefit of notifying anyone and had spun a giant yarn about taking his cadets on an "all expenses paid trip to Taiwan, courtesy of the government of the Republic of China." Also, their financials were a shambles and they were meeting in a couple of sheds without electricity or plumbing. 

She asked me to take it on. I couldn't refuse her.

My first 2-3 meetings consisted mostly of me delivering bucketloads of bad news, both to cadets who were not going to Taiwan and to seniors old enough to be my dad. I was 20. I lasted two years, leaving behind a command structure, several Mitchell Awards, an Earhart and a HQ with lights and flushing toilets. 

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer

brenaud

Well, technically I've never been a Squadron/CC.  But I was Group/CD when my predecessor had to step down due to outside (& frankly, more important) demands.  The Wing/CC pulled me aside at the ensuing Wing Conference and said he'd like to see me as either Group/CC or Wing/DC.  I opted for 8 squadrons instead of 440x120 miles of comm gear/planning/etc.  Though I sometimes wonder what I was thinking (usually right after hearing "Sir, when you have a minute we need to talk") I still stand by my decision.   

...Only 800-something days to go.... >:D

I also see a theme developing... "I was the deputy...".  I often joke with my deputy when new requirements come out by asking "What happens if we don't do it?" at meetings.  So far he's always come back with a quick stare and an emphatic "No!". :)
WILLIAM A. RENAUD, Lt Col, CAP
TNWG Director of Personnel & Administration
GRW #2699

JeffDG

Quote from: brenaud on July 29, 2014, 01:46:48 PM
Well, technically I've never been a Squadron/CC.  But I was Group/CD when my predecessor had to step down due to outside (& frankly, more important) demands.  The Wing/CC pulled me aside at the ensuing Wing Conference and said he'd like to see me as either Group/CC or Wing/DC.  I opted for 8 squadrons instead of 440x120 miles of comm gear/planning/etc.  Though I sometimes wonder what I was thinking (usually right after hearing "Sir, when you have a minute we need to talk") I still stand by my decision.   

...Only 800-something days to go.... >:D

I also see a theme developing... "I was the deputy...".  I often joke with my deputy when new requirements come out by asking "What happens if we don't do it?" at meetings.  So far he's always come back with a quick stare and an emphatic "No!". :)

Those statements about commanders quitting above were under old regulations.  It is no longer permitted for commanders to resign.  :)

And what's with "800-something". You know it down to the minute.

Walkman

When the time came, I was the only one who A) wanted the job and B) had other people express confidence I could do it.

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on July 29, 2014, 02:04:11 PM

Those statements about commanders quitting above were under old regulations.  It is no longer permitted for commanders to resign.  :)

???  Really?  Admitting right of the bat that I haven't read into the subject at all I was surprised to read the comment...unless I'm missing something..?? 

JeffDG

Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on July 29, 2014, 05:28:45 PM

???  Really?  Admitting right of the bat that I haven't read into the subject at all I was surprised to read the comment...unless I'm missing something..??

Inside joke...I'm his deputy.  So, at no time is he permitted to resign. :o

Brit_in_CAP

Quote from: JeffDG on July 29, 2014, 05:42:22 PM
Quote from: Brit_in_CAP on July 29, 2014, 05:28:45 PM

:clap:  Inside joke...I'm his deputy.  So, at no time is he permitted to resign. :o

Quite right too!  I believe I told my boss at my previous employer the same thing.....he did resign, I dodged the bullet, disliked the new guy who also went away and, that time, so did I! >:D

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Luis R. Ramos

Yes, OP.

What is your yuhahahahaHAHAH! (sinister evil laugh) ulterior motivation for this question?

Just to "know."

Or are you making a study for publication?

Squadron Safety Officer

Private Investigator

Being a SQ Commander your Cadets will remember you many years later. Like at the DMV or going to a movie. All Cadets will get a drivers license and work at a movie theater one day and how cool is that  8)

Angus

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 05, 2014, 05:22:48 AM
Being a SQ Commander your Cadets will remember you many years later. Like at the DMV or going to a movie. All Cadets will get a drivers license and work at a movie theater one day and how cool is that  8)

Part of your quote is invalid.  Not all cadets will work at a movie theater, I know many who never did that. 
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

Garibaldi

Quote from: Angus on August 05, 2014, 01:30:54 PM

Part of your quote is invalid.  Not all cadets will work at a movie theater, I know many who never did that.

Me either. Although there was this one kid from high school who started at 15 and was still at it quite a few years later. It was his ambition, he said.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Eclipse

Quote from: Angus on August 05, 2014, 01:30:54 PMPart of your quote is invalid.  Not all cadets will work at a movie theater, I know many who never did that.

Working at a movie theater as a "volunteer" is now required for Phase II - has to be at least 5 screens, offer at least one "healthy" option
at the snack bar, and cadets receive community service ribbon credit at 2x the normal rate as any other service.

"That Others May Zoom"

AirAux

Eclipse, preparing for an IG, I fear you can read the future.  I have never seen so many requirements in all training tracks.  I have seen real jobs that required less micromanagment.  I fear for the future and predict we are a dying beast.  Our Wing has put out a request for UDF or Ground Team for an ELT (non-distress) mission for over 24 hours.  Several of us have been ground team leaders and UDF leaders, but our training is not current.  Ergo no go..  I have prosecuted ELT's for over 30 years, but I am not elgible to go and turn this one off...  It has become so much BS...

Private Investigator

Exactly. Lots of Cadets will never serve in the military either. The prerequisites for a movie theater employment opportunity is quite extensive indeed.  8)

Garibaldi

Quote from: Private Investigator on August 06, 2014, 09:22:34 AM

Exactly. Lots of Cadets will never serve in the military either. The prerequisites for a movie theater employment opportunity is quite extensive indeed.  8)
Gives them experience with being Lt Col popcornmaker
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things