Main Menu

Budget Cuts!!

Started by usafcap1, March 16, 2013, 05:01:51 PM

Stonewall

Quote from: Devil Doc on March 18, 2013, 11:32:04 PM
Budget Cuts. I pay 12 Bucks for my Cut. Old Style Barber, Chairs are like 30 years old, buidling barely standing. There is also a old TV atop a fridge. What I like about them They know what i want, they shave your neck with the old school razor, no BS. I always tip them 2 dollars. You know what the coolest part is. The one that cuts my hair, is an Old Army Vet, always nice to give back to the Veterans.

My stylist barber in DC (McLean, VA) did the whole warm shaving cream and straight razor on the back of the neck, sideburns, and around the ears, too.  My current girl doesn't offer that, but she's too pretty and sweet to be concerned with it.

Growing up (as a cadet needing a military cut), my fellow cadets and I all went to Central Barbershop, with a retired Filipino Master Chief who spent an entire career in the Navy as a cook.  We called him Kamikaze Eddie, because no matter what, you walked out with the same haircut as everyone else, a "quarter pounder", i.e. a buzz cut.  But, he did the whole warm shave thing and gave you a neck and shoulder massage for about 5 minutes.

Baddest part of it was that it was a true military barber shop.  You couldn't see an inch of the actual wall because the entire place was covered with military posters, pictures, banners, and plaques.  Posters signed by the Golden Knights, Blue Angels, Leap Frogs, and a handful of generals and admirals.  You know, the place is still open and across from the airport we meet at.  I wonder if his son took his place.  I'm too scared to walk in because I'd walk out with a buzz cut no matter what.
Serving since 1987.

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on March 18, 2013, 11:42:19 PMI'm too scared to walk in because I'd walk out with a buzz cut no matter what.

And that's a bad thing? Pffft.  Action figure, indeed.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Devil Doc

Yup, mine does the Warm Cream, Neck, Sideburns, Everything. There was a time when I was broke, I wne to get a haircut, they offered to do it for free, as long as i pay them next time. I declined, but it was nice to know they trust me.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Stonewall on March 18, 2013, 11:42:19 PM
You know, the place is still open and across from the airport we meet at.

If I come up for the SAREX, you've got to show me the place.  :)

Stonewall

Quote from: JoeTomasone on March 19, 2013, 01:03:20 AM
You know, the place is still open and across from the airport we meet at.

If I come up for the SAREX, you've got to show me the place.  :)

Central Barber Shop
1651 St Johns Bluff Rd
Jacksonville, FL 32246
(904) 645-3314

Southeast corner of St. Johns Bluff & Atlantic Blvd, same strip mall as Larry's Giant Subs, a squadron favorite during missions.
Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

Growing up (as a cadet needing a military cut), my fellow cadets and I all went to Central Barbershop, with a retired Filipino Master Chief who spent an entire career in the Navy as a cook.  We called him Kamikaze Eddie, because no matter what, you walked out with the same haircut as everyone else, a "quarter pounder", i.e. a buzz cut.  But, he did the whole warm shave thing and gave you a neck and shoulder massage for about 5 minutes.

That is the kind of place I like to go to. Stack of Playboy magazines from the 1980s and lots of military memobilia   8)

J2H

I do my own hair until I find a decent place that does a good high and tight.. the Asians on base... not the best
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Stonewall

Quote from: J2H on March 19, 2013, 01:46:03 PM
I do my own hair until I find a decent place that does a good high and tight.. the Asians on base... not the best

Security Forces and their high n' tights...

Had a couple of SFS Airmen at our squadron last month TDY from Tyndall who had some really bad self-inflicted high n' tights.  Man they look bad, i.e. unprofessional.  That was the one thing I didn't like when I was active duty Army, my unit required high n' tights.
Serving since 1987.

RRLE

Quote from: Stonewall on March 18, 2013, 02:22:16 AM
Oh yeah, I write off my haircuts each year during tax time.  I'm required to meet certain grooming standards in the Air Guard, i.e. it is a requirement of my job. I've been doing it since my second year in the Army when I was required to have a fresh high n' tight for first formation every Monday morning.

Not sure if you can get away with it for CAP since its volunteer duty, but I'll be looking into it when I retire.

You have been improperly deducting those haircuts since day 1 and I don't care if you tell me all your Guard buddies do it. Haircuts, whether required by an employer or not, are a personal expense and not deductible.

See US Tax Court T.C. Summary Opinion 2008-101 Cottrell v Commissioner. The petitioner in what follows is the Commissioner of the IRS - he wins this point.

Quote6. Haircuts
Petitioner claimed a deduction in 2004 for the cost of maintaining a haircut for his State job. Grooming remains an inherently personal expense and is not deductible, regardless of whether an employer requires a particularly neat appearance. Hynes v. Commissioner, supra at 1291-1292. Petitioner may not deduct the cost of his haircuts. Respondent's determination is sustained.

One year before the case above, the Tax Court had decided the issue involving a military member. And it didn't even matter that the petitioner's tax pro told him he could deduct the expenses.

White, Petitioner v. Commissioner of IRS, Respondent. The Commish wins again.

QuoteHaircuts
Petitioner claimed a deduction of $215 for haircuts in 2003. Petitioner testified that he paid $60 per month for haircuts and that his return preparer advised him that, since DHS and the military require petitioner to be well groomed, his weekly haircuts were deductible. Grooming remains an inherently personal expense and is not deductible, regardless of whether an employer requires a particularly neat appearance. Hynes v. Commissioner, supra at 1291-1292. Respondent's determination as to the claimed haircut expense deduction is sustained.

And what you are supposed to do now, now that you know the truth, is to go back and amend your prior year returns and remove the improper deduction. How far back you go is up to you but the IRS generally will not go back more than 10 years. If it is a small change somewhere between 3 and 6 years is probably good enough.

Stonewall

I'll get right on that, immediately.

I haven't done my own taxes in over 10 years.  I'll make sure to follow up wih my accountant to make sure she knows not to write off my haircuts and to ensure I pay back my dues to the government.
Serving since 1987.

Private Investigator

Quote from: J2H on March 19, 2013, 01:46:03 PM

If you want a 'great' high and tight you need to get one on Okinawa. CONUS is just good. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: Stonewall on March 19, 2013, 11:59:07 PM
I'll get right on that, immediately.

I haven't done my own taxes in over 10 years.  I'll make sure to follow up wih my accountant to make sure she knows not to write off my haircuts and to ensure I pay back my dues to the government.

I am going to have my accountant get right on it too.

J2H

Don't need a "great one", but one that looks normal, like when I was in Iraq.... the spouses in Charleston butchered me, so I started cutting my own
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031