Main Menu

Recruiting advert

Started by usafcap1, February 11, 2013, 07:56:27 PM

Flying Pig

I have always thought that if you tried to join and were 18, you had to be a Senior?  Personally, as an SQCC I wouldnt allow an 18 yr old to join as a cadet.  Something a little odd about an 18 yr old who wants to stand in formation as a C/B learning to drill. 

a2capt

We've had a few over the years, join during their 18th year. Yeah, that encampment is .. kinda hard. :)

No, it's not changed .. as has been recently shown here.

There's been mis-information going around on that forever.

Eclipse

Quote from: Flying Pig on February 13, 2013, 04:32:29 PM
I have always thought that if you tried to join and were 18, you had to be a Senior?  Personally, as an SQCC I wouldnt allow an 18 yr old to join as a cadet.  Something a little odd about an 18 yr old who wants to stand in formation as a C/B learning to drill.

It presents challenges, but there's a lot of opportunities open to cadets that aren't available for seniors, not the least of which
is E3 for the USAF (easily doable at 18), encampments, NCSAs, scholarships, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2013, 06:32:08 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on February 13, 2013, 04:32:29 PM

It presents challenges, but there's a lot of opportunities open to cadets that aren't available for seniors, not the least of which
is E3 for the USAF (easily doable at 18), encampments, NCSAs, scholarships, etc.

How much of a difference is E1/E2 compared to E3 in pay?

E1 = 1516.20
E2 = 1699.80
E3 = 1787.40

So we're looking at a monthly spread of $271.20 or $3,254.40 / year.

It's going to take someone at least 18 months (probably at least 2 years) to get the Mitchell, making no money.

So in that time as an E1 they would have made 27,291.60 - 36,388.80 in 18-24 months. Of course I believe promotion to E2 and E3 would happen somewhere in between there, so what are you really saving/making if your goal at 18+ is to become an AF E3?

a2capt

If you still have a "free-ish ride" at home, if you're still attending school/college, and go for a couple years and get an AA in something, while advancing in the Cadet Program, then what does that E3 on joining, plus that AA that you may even need for some advanced billets, get you?

Eclipse

So people can't work and hold jobs when they are in CAP?

Plus, I don't think you can compare an 18 year old looking to join CAP as a cadet to one who has already joined the military, since they
are in different places in their lives, not to mention that a good experience in CAP might be the catalyst to a military career, or
the indicator that its not a good idea.

Remember that E3 puts you ahead of your class in "rank" as well, that might mean something down the line as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 13, 2013, 07:11:14 PM
How much of a difference is E1/E2 compared to E3 in pay?

E1 = 1516.20
E2 = 1699.80
E3 = 1787.40

So we're looking at a monthly spread of $271.20 or $3,254.40 / year.

It's going to take someone at least 18 months (probably at least 2 years) to get the Mitchell, making no money.

So in that time as an E1 they would have made 27,291.60 - 36,388.80 in 18-24 months. Of course I believe promotion to E2 and E3 would happen somewhere in between there, so what are you really saving/making if your goal at 18+ is to become an AF E3?

Not to mention contributed to your 20 years (if that's the goal), thus retiring when you're 38 vs. 40+.
Serving since 1987.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on February 13, 2013, 07:52:47 PM
So people can't work and hold jobs when they are in CAP?

Fine, they can work, and probably make more than they do in the AF as an E1. CAP also has costs I chose not to look at.

Plus, I don't think you can compare an 18 year old looking to join CAP as a cadet to one who has already joined the military, since they
are in different places in their lives, not to mention that a good experience in CAP might be the catalyst to a military career, or
the indicator that its not a good idea.

That's exactly what I'm talking about however. You mentioned it as the benefit, which we all agree it is, but it should most definitely NOT be the primary reason for joining as an 18+months old, because they can probably get e2 for something else, and if they sign a 6 year, I believe they get E3 as well.

The E3 is a nice benefit if you joined before 16, and enlist out of school. Taking time out of your life to get the Mitchell to make an extra 3K / year two years down the road makes little sense. But that's just me thinking as a finance major again. NPVs and all.

Remember that E3 puts you ahead of your class in "rank" as well, that might mean something down the line as well.

I'm not sure how it works, but I suppose a lower TIS with a higher E doesn't hurt. But again, I think a 6 year hitch will give you the same stripes.

johnnyb47

if you were born in january and held back in Grade School you could potentially be 18 years old for 1.5 years of your highschool career.
During that 18 month period you could find yourself 9/10ths of the way to the Mitchell, earning it by the end of summer following your senior year.
It'd take drive but it's been done in that short of time before.
If you are going to give ONE that opportunity then you need to give ALL that opportunity.

Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: johnnyb47 on February 13, 2013, 09:00:21 PM
if you were born in january and held back in Grade School you could potentially be 18 years old for 1.5 years of your highschool career.

I don't think that's how calendar years work.  >:D

If you are going to give ONE that opportunity then you need to give ALL that opportunity.

I wouldn't stop someone from joining if they want to, but I would seriously lay out the economics of it if their goal is E3.

johnnyb47

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 13, 2013, 09:26:30 PM

I don't think that's how calendar years work.  >:D

I wouldn't stop someone from joining if they want to, but I would seriously lay out the economics of it if their goal is E3.
Oops. 18 years old or OLDER for 1.5 years.
You got my point..
I'm at work... dont ask me to do two math problems at once AND ignore my incoming phone calls!
:D
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Tim Medeiros

Quote from: usafaux2004 on February 13, 2013, 08:34:23 PM
But again, I think a 6 year hitch will give you the same stripes.
You do indeed get the stripes, however it is dated the date you graduate BMT, as well you don't wear them at tech school.  Compare this to someone like me with JROTC/CAP/College, I was getting paid as an E-3 all during BMT and wore those stripes on what so far is the best Friday morning of my life.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

jimmydeanno

You have to remember that the advanced grade is a benefit beyond just getting paid a bit more for a year or so.  Coming in as an E-3 gives you a better shot at SrA below the zone, and practically guarantees that you'll be eligible to test for SSgt within the first four years of your enlistment.  It may only be a small amount in pay at first, but being a MSgt sooner gets you even more quicker and increases your chances of making in to E-9.  So, a good start at E-3 could yield much higher retirement pension, and a faster rate of promotion (in terms of years) than those who came in as an E-1.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

That Anonymous Guy

CAP racecar? God, who's idea was that? Let's take that money and spend it on a 30 second commercial on some popular "teen" channels.

SarDragon

That money's long gone, about ten years or so ago. It was a publicity/recruiting effort that didn't get us many new members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret