Main Menu

Drinks

Started by usafcap1, January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

Rick-DEL

Nothing wrong with having a drink. Just use common sense. And remember that while in uniform, you represent the whole. So, with that, public intoxication in uniform ultimately reflects negatively on the organization as a whole, as well as our parent organization (for those in the public that know of our auxiliary status). Safest route is civies. My 21st was in Hawaii at Wheeler AFB...needless to say I'll keep that story to myself :-)

Have fun, enjoy, and watch your 6. Be a good wing man.

Cool Mace

You may also refer to the regulations for this. Drinks are allowed at certain CAP activities while in uniform.
I would venture to guess you're more than OK to have one while at dinner after a meeting.

But civvies are always the safest.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

stillamarine

My 21 came while I was stationed in Okinawa. The drinking age for service members stationed there at the time was 20. So it was never a big deal for me.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

ol'fido

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 25, 2013, 03:01:13 PM
Nothing wrong with having a drink. Just use common sense. And remember that while in uniform, you represent the whole. So, with that, public intoxication in uniform ultimately reflects negatively on the organization as a whole, as well as our parent organization (for those in the public that know of our auxiliary status). Safest route is civies. My 21st was in Hawaii at Wheeler AFB...needless to say I'll keep that story to myself :-)

When were you at Wheeler? I was assigned to Schofield from 88 to 92.I think the AF gave Wheeler to the Army right about the time I left.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Private Investigator

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM
My 21th birthday is coming up and a few SM's want to take me out for a drink at a local pub. Would that be okay or no? We would be wearing our BDU's.

Just want to check to be on the safe side. I see a lot a Navy guys in uniform out there, I just want  to check. Don't worry I don't plan to get drunk as a skunk.

Thanks

NO !!! In a bar, in a military uniform, with people who are drunk and some of them are Navy guys.

My first bar fight, San Diego, I am in Marine uniform and a drunk in bib overalls says he is a Navy man and the fight is on. I must have insulted his boyfriend. Atlanta airport for no apparent reason, NJ just because, TX why not.

Your mother will be upset when you are missing a front tooth but she'll get use to it. Of course 40 years later you'll still have dental problems, just a FYI.

P.S. a nice meal with the guys is the best answer

Pump Scout

Quote from: Cool Mace on January 24, 2013, 02:36:32 PM
Welcome to the dark side. Make sure you apply for your cookies through EServices. They are a little backed up with orders right now, so give it some time to get to you.

I always thought cookies were acquired through Vanguard....  8)

Devil Doc

Ahh, back in my Drinking Days. Uhmm well lets not go there  :P. Long Long time ago, when I  was in the service, Me and 4 or 5 other Marines were entering a Bar, in civvies of course. The so called "Door Man/Bouncer" told us at the door to not cause any trouble and they will let us in. Im assuming they have had some bad relations in the past. We agreed, and as we all pass him, we say "We wont Start anything, unless somebody starts it with us". The doorman was not happen with our statement. Nothing happened we left after a few hours to go to the next bar. Marines must have kicked to many Rich Cali Kids butts and they were tired of it i guess.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Private Investigator

In Tokyo the bouncer was yakuza and he said, "NO". So we continued on ... When those guys say, no, they mean it   ;)

Rick-DEL

Quote from: ol'fido on January 25, 2013, 10:05:44 PM

When were you at Wheeler? I was assigned to Schofield from 88 to 92.I think the AF gave Wheeler to the Army right about the time I left.

I was at WAFB from FEB 86 to NOV 88. Yes, we gave WAFB to the Army who are still there. I have some buddies who have gone back on vacations and stopped by the base. Pretty much looks the same except for some bigger trees and signage changes. That was a great assignment.

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Stonewall on January 25, 2013, 01:25:53 AM
I'm 40 and occasionally drink alcohol, am I a bad example to cadets?  I'm physically fit, eat very healthy, and PT 5 to 6 days a week.  THIS IS WHAT THE CADETS SEE.

How about what seems to be the majority of senior members who are overweight, out of shape, and demonstrate unhealthy eating habits, and live sedentary lifestyles?  Just the fact that an obese senior member holding the stop watch while cadets run their mile run is a pathetic demonstration of influence compared to a senior member, who out of sight of the cadets, enjoys a brewski with their mates.

Wow! I don't even know where to start on this one.

I guess it would be better to tell the cadets no PT test for you (and therefore no promotions) because I'm too overweight to hold the stop watch.

Core Value of Respect? Clearly missing.

Understanding of the differences between the Cadet and Senior programs? Lacking

Or maybe you're right and I should call my bank and cancel the payment for renewal of my dues hang up my gray and whites and call it quits after 15 years of service to CAP. NOT!

Stonewall

Quote from: phirons on January 28, 2013, 06:33:22 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on January 25, 2013, 01:25:53 AM
I'm 40 and occasionally drink alcohol, am I a bad example to cadets?  I'm physically fit, eat very healthy, and PT 5 to 6 days a week.  THIS IS WHAT THE CADETS SEE.

How about what seems to be the majority of senior members who are overweight, out of shape, and demonstrate unhealthy eating habits, and live sedentary lifestyles?  Just the fact that an obese senior member holding the stop watch while cadets run their mile run is a pathetic demonstration of influence compared to a senior member, who out of sight of the cadets, enjoys a brewski with their mates.

Wow! I don't even know where to start on this one.

I guess it would be better to tell the cadets no PT test for you (and therefore no promotions) because I'm too overweight to hold the stop watch.

Core Value of Respect? Clearly missing.

Understanding of the differences between the Cadet and Senior programs? Lacking

Or maybe you're right and I should call my bank and cancel the payment for renewal of my dues hang up my gray and whites and call it quits after 15 years of service to CAP. NOT!

Of course my post was a hypothetical response as a counter argument to someone basically saying that drinking is evil, unhealthy, and demonstrates bad habits to the cadets (although not in the presence of cadets).  My argument being, that unhealthy eating habits, sedentary lifestyles, and obesity is equally, if not, more so, a bad example for cadets to witness.

How is respect violated here, BTW?  I did not call anyone a bad name or poke and make fun.  Obesity and all the other issues with unhealthy lifestyles are in fact genuine issues America faces today.  I guess we could ignore this subject, as well as alcoholism, suicide, or drug use for fear someone may be offended or feel disrespected.

Quote from: phirons on January 28, 2013, 06:33:22 PMI guess it would be better to tell the cadets no PT test for you (and therefore no promotions) because I'm too overweight to hold the stop watch.

I'm certainly not saying that and although I am a HUGE advocate for the fight against obesity in the US, with 1/3 of adults being obese, I think it's only fair that we do our best (which requires a lot of effort) to set the example for young people.

The topic/argument of weight always ruffles feathers, but that won't deter me from talking about it.
Serving since 1987.

ol'fido

Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 01:08:43 PM

I was at WAFB from FEB 86 to NOV 88. Yes, we gave WAFB to the Army who are still there. I have some buddies who have gone back on vacations and stopped by the base. Pretty much looks the same except for some bigger trees and signage changes. That was a great assignment.
You were leaving about the time I got there. My main memories were of the SPs having a coniption fit if we walked on the grass near the base headquarters(and along the whole road there) on our way out to East Range.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: ol'fido on January 29, 2013, 12:37:36 AM
Quote from: Rick-DEL on January 28, 2013, 01:08:43 PM

You were leaving about the time I got there. My main memories were of the SPs having a coniption fit if we walked on the grass near the base headquarters(and along the whole road there) on our way out to East Range.

Not so much the grass by HQ, but more so cutting the corner by the south ramp. The Army boys walking along that bend in the road on the way to their bivouac were determined to shave off about 100 yards from their trek. Problem was that the area was an extended ECP to the south ramp for engine run-ups, and clearly marked with a red line and signs. Nothing like seeing USAF SPs fire up the lights on the pickup and screech off in the direction. Almost made you want to pull up a lawn chair  ;D

That bend was on the road between the south ramp and the firing range down in the gulch. You remember that road?

ol'fido

Not really. We mostly came across the road from Schofield on Lyman, hit Wright Ave and followed it around to where Santos Dumont went under the highway and became Higgins Rd. along the golf course out to E. Range. Never went down to that firing range. We usually used Area X out towards KoleKole.

Rick-DEL

Quote from: ol'fido on January 29, 2013, 11:48:13 PM
Not really. We mostly came across the road from Schofield on Lyman, hit Wright Ave and followed it around to where Santos Dumont went under the highway and became Higgins Rd. along the golf course out to E. Range. Never went down to that firing range. We usually used Area X out towards KoleKole.

Ah, yes. Straight under 99 and H2. Got it. I was hoping you weren't one of the 'grass eaters' along south ramp, I would have felt bad  ;)

okeecap

Reading through this brought me back to the 2007 Florida wing conference in Orlando.......Nothing more funny as a cadet than sitting around at a banquet table watching a bunch of captains majors ETC getting a little inebriated.  There was a station serving the adult beverages and just about all of the senior members including a general ( heard we are not supposed to say his name).  But going to a bar in uniform well As a law enforcement officer I would have to say it looks pretty bad, like hey look at me im trying really hard not to get a ticket here.

NIN

Quote from: okeecap on January 30, 2013, 07:39:43 PM
Reading through this brought me back to the 2007 Florida wing conference in Orlando.......Nothing more funny as a cadet than sitting around at a banquet table watching a bunch of captains majors ETC getting a little inebriated.  There was a station serving the adult beverages and just about all of the senior members including a general ( heard we are not supposed to say his name).  But going to a bar in uniform well As a law enforcement officer I would have to say it looks pretty bad, like hey look at me im trying really hard not to get a ticket here.

Years ago, when I was a 1Lt or maybe a new captain, I went to a Wing Conference where they had a hospitality area set up outside the banquet area.  Never one to pass up a social opportunity, I made a beeline for the bar and got a nice mixed drink.

I turned around and there were 3-4 of my cadets staring at me open mouthed like "holy crap, the LT drinks?"

I looked around, found a place to set my drink down on the bar and backed away from it.

That freaked me out. I didn't realize the impact it would have on the cadets, and I kind of forgot that cadets would be in this lobby area, too, waiting for the banquet.

Never mind that MI Wing's "Maverick & Goose" dynamic duo got pretty tore up at the hospitality and provided literally HOURS of entertainment to cadets and seniors alike. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

^ What you learn quick as a parent is that most of the things you teach your kids happen between the planned moments, and has as much to do
with attitude, Karma, and aura as it does with direct instruction.

"That Others May Zoom"

johnnyb47

Quote from: Eclipse on February 04, 2013, 08:53:25 PM
^ What you learn quick as a parent is that most of the things you teach your kids happen between the planned moments, and has as much to do
with attitude, Karma, and aura as it does with direct instruction.
Partaking in the occasional drink is a perfectly cromulent exercise under the right social circumstance.
Knowing when not to drink, such as in the presence of your cadets, shows you've been embiggened by your nobility.
;D
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NIN

Quote from: johnnyb47 on February 04, 2013, 09:13:51 PM
Partaking in the occasional drink is a perfectly cromulent exercise under the right social circumstance.
Knowing when not to drink, such as in the presence of your cadets, shows you've been embiggened by your nobility.
;D

I'm embiggened by my scrumtrulesence...
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.