Main Menu

Drinks

Started by usafcap1, January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PM

Eclipse

My dad told me he didn't drink until he was in the Army - just not interested.

He said he came out of the gym one night after basketball and was offered a very cold, very tall beer.  That was that.

For him the experience was less then stellar from there, especially as he got older.  Mom, too, and plenty of
relatives.  That's why I'm not inclined.

"That Others May Zoom"

JeffDG

I think I had my first beer at 12 with my dad after a long day working on the farm.  Regularly had a beer or wine with dinner.

It was never a big deal to me because it was not "forbidden fruit".  Want a beer, it's in the fridge.  No big deal whatsoever.  Heck, last summer I brought a dozen beer back with me from Canada, and I still have some left, so my early exposure obviously didn't turn me into a raging alcoholic.

Personally, I think the 21 age is absurd.  I remember when I was growing up "If you're old enough to die for your country, you're old enough to drink a toast to it too."

MSG Mac

1. wear civilian clothes to the bar. If you must wear a uniform, Polo shirt or G/W (remove the insignia prior to entering the establishment.

2. Set a limit of 2 drinks no more.

3. Designated driver or taxi. If you see the DD drink anything alcoholic, TAXI!

4. Eat before drinking.

5. If you're a Flight Officer, it expires on midnight of the day before. Have your Commander submit your appointment to the appropriate grade. 

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Brad

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 24, 2013, 12:19:15 PMWe would be wearing our BDU's.

Why? Are you guys heading there after a meeting? If so be wary of the 2 hour rule per 39-1, and even then I still advise against it. Like others have said, bring a change of clothes. If you're wearing your BDUs just because you're going out to the bar and want to look cool like the Real Military guys, then that's a big negative ghostrider.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Майор Хаткевич

Drinking with older people is typically 100% different than peers. I enjoy a brewski with some SMs a lot more than some of the bar trips I had with  friends where I had to worry about people getting home.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on January 24, 2013, 05:25:19 PM
Who knows?  Maybe a good example here puts this fine young man on the right path.

"Come on.. no stragglers.  We owe it to Sergeant Hulka to wind up face down in gutter tonight!"
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

BTW, you guys are complete sticks in the mud, but I get where you're going with the "no uniform" thing.

WIWASC, we had our own "Officer's Club." Well, OK, it was the local Legion post that 3-4 of us were members of.  We'd *occasionally* go there after our meeting for our "officer's meeting" (insert copious amounts of "*wink* *wink*" here).

Were we "in public?" Well, sort of.   We were surrounded by other veterans, not really the "general public" like going and getting Margaritas at the local Applebees after the meeting.

And they loved having us there. Plus, you know, $1 drafts were nice.

Several of my officers did not want to participate (various reasons) and that was fine. Nobody was arm twisted, attendance was not "mandatory."  Although one of my officers was an AA member, and he came along every time.  He liked the ginger ale they had on tap there or something. :) 

The funny thing was that one night we were all going and 2-3 of my officers who did not normally visit the "Officer's Club" asked if they could come along (it was, I recall, my deputy for seniors last meeting before moving).  "Heck yes!"   They came along, drank a Coke or whatever, and later said "Wow, we didn't realize that the Officer's Club was quite so... cordial and fun."   Well, of course. We're not getting trashed out and swinging from the chandelier!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Bad behaviour while intoxicated would be just another reason for CAP to get a black eye.

I stopped drinking over a decade ago as a matter of personal choice.  However, I have a sister who has been a bartender since before the days of Billy Beer, including at clubs on Army posts (Fort Ord, Schofield Barracks) and she has not hesitated to eject drunk and disorderly personnel, regardless of rank.

I don't want something similar to happen to any CAP member.

If you're going to have a drink, change clothes and remember that in or out of uniform, your behaviour reflects on CAP as a whole.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Майор Хаткевич

Drinks = implies more than 1
Drinking = implies prolonged event
Drink = implies 1
One or Two = implies 1 or 2
A couple = implies 2.

The first two not ok, the 3rd to 5th? Shouldn't be any trouble.

Flying Pig

And dont forget why DUIs are called a "Deuce".   Because they have always had only two.  Not one, not 3-4, always 2. 

Dad2-4

I'll go ahead and interject here since it seems like I'm in a huge minority. I don't drink and never have. Not one alcoholic drink in my 48 years. Never been to a bar or out with friends who were drinking while I just had a coke. So I have a definite opinion about alcohol. I also have a very dim view of "I'm turning 21. Let's go drink" scenario. It does indeed seem to be an ingrained part of social behavior, unfortunately. Alcohol should never be connected with any sort of right of passage into "adulthood". IMHO, we should be setting the example and teaching our membership about refraining from alcohol and tobacco and the harm they cause to the human body. Spare me the bogus lecture about "having a drink now and then is good for you".

Woodsy

Quote from: Bobble on January 24, 2013, 02:02:53 PM
Personally, I think it's a swell idea.  Just make sure you bring some recruiting materials with you to distribute (in your role as the Squadron's Recruiting and Retention Officer) to the other bar patrons.  What better place to find someone to sign up and be your Ass't. DDR Officer (if you don't already have one).

I've passed out more than a few CAP business cards at my local pub...  It's a great way to meet people!  Several of the people I've met have come to meetings, though I don't think any have joined. 

You'd be surprised how many former CAP cadets I've ran into... 

Keep it under control, don't get hammered, and don't wear a uniform.  Heed Stonewall's advice.  You never think you're not OK to drive. 

ol'fido

My opinion is that there is a difference between a group of senior members going to a place like Hooters, Applebees, or Chilis where alcohol is served in addition to the regular food fare and having a drink with your "bloomin' onion" and going to the local "no-name" honky tonk where the bouncer looks like an extra from "Sons of Anarchy" and the women obviously don't have a dental plan. I see AF guys at the Hooters in Fairview Heights(about 10 miles from Scott AFB) more often than not. Nobody in the Hooters seems to have any problem with it nor do I. If I have my drothers, I'd rather change into civvies to go socialize but I would not be adverse to stopping on the way home from a meeting in uniform at a Chilis or Applebees. I am not going to keep looking at my watch either to make sure I stay under the two hour window.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

Stonewall

Quote from: Dad2-4 on January 25, 2013, 12:00:19 AM
I'll go ahead and interject here since it seems like I'm in a huge minority. I don't drink and never have. Not one alcoholic drink in my 48 years. Never been to a bar or out with friends who were drinking while I just had a coke. So I have a definite opinion about alcohol. I also have a very dim view of "I'm turning 21. Let's go drink" scenario. It does indeed seem to be an ingrained part of social behavior, unfortunately. Alcohol should never be connected with any sort of right of passage into "adulthood". IMHO, we should be setting the example and teaching our membership about refraining from alcohol and tobacco and the harm they cause to the human body. Spare me the bogus lecture about "having a drink now and then is good for you".

I'm 40 and occasionally drink alcohol, am I a bad example to cadets?  I'm physically fit, eat very healthy, and PT 5 to 6 days a week.  THIS IS WHAT THE CADETS SEE.

How about what seems to be the majority of senior members who are overweight, out of shape, and demonstrate unhealthy eating habits, and live sedentary lifestyles?  Just the fact that an obese senior member holding the stop watch while cadets run their mile run is a pathetic demonstration of influence compared to a senior member, who out of sight of the cadets, enjoys a brewski with their mates.

Serving since 1987.

usafcap1

Thank you

Okay so pub is out. A nice diner is in. Drinks are out. Sodas are in with a free slice of pie. (I have free coupon for pie)
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Woodsy

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 25, 2013, 09:09:54 AM
Thank you

Okay so pub is out. A nice diner is in. Drinks are out. Sodas are in with a free slice of pie. (I have free coupon for pie)

Pie?  Dude, it's your 21st...  That's a biggie!

I'd push for steak  >:D

Rick-DEL

<Pressing the like button> Stonewall's post

SJFedor

Quote from: usafcap1 on January 25, 2013, 09:09:54 AM
Thank you

No one is telling you not to enjoy your 21st however you see fit. The general consensus, however, is to leave the uniforms in the closet while you do so.

Happy birthday.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Cool Mace

Heck if you're going to dinner, I don't see a problem with having a beer or glass of wine to go along with it.

Enjoy yourself! Just not too much.  >:D
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Майор Хаткевич

+1.

I personally feel like ol'fido on the issue, but I also don't feel that anyone said you CAN'T have a drink on your 21st. I turned 21 during the middle of a work/school week, so my fiancee and I waited until midnight to go to a local establishment and ordered two drinks each, and went home. Simple as that. No one says you need to get slammed like some of my friends have done on their 21st (well, it was actually all of our friends buying drinks for the bday folks, but still).