Main Menu

Over the age

Started by usafcap1, June 26, 2012, 05:26:21 AM

usafcap1

I recently found out that if you are a cadet and over the age of 18 you can not do encampments or fly via O-rides why is that?
|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

lordmonar

You can go to encampment....but you can't do CAP AFAM O-rides...because the USAF says no one over 18.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

AngelWings

Quote from: usafcap1 on June 26, 2012, 05:26:21 AM
I recently found out that if you are a cadet and over the age of 18 you can not do encampments or fly via O-rides why is that?
To make you want to go to the dark side, which supposedly has cookies.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Walkman

Quote from: AngelWings on June 26, 2012, 12:41:41 PM
To make you want to go to the dark side, which supposedly has cookies.

Not cookies, donuts.

EMT-83

I hate to see cadets turn 18 and not have taken all their O-flights.

We start reminding them months in advance, but they often never get around scheduling any flights. Then suddenly, it's too late.

MSG Mac

Because the AF sees them as adults.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Huey Driver

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 26, 2012, 01:31:04 PM

We start reminding them months in advance, but they often never get around scheduling any flights. Then suddenly, it's too late.

That is unfortunate, but how often is it the cadet's fault that they didn't schedule O-Flights?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Months in advance of the 18th birthday, or months in advance of the flights?  Most cadets are in CAP 3-5 years by 18, if they haven't gotten
a ride in by then, they aren't likely to care.

Assuming there are plans and a functioning program, my experience is that if they don't fly the first year, they probably won't fly, as they probably
aren't interested.

"That Others May Zoom"

Struts

On the matter of encampment; section 9-3 in CAPR 52-16 doesn't say anything about having to be under 18.

On O-Flights; section 8-5 in CAPR 52-16 says that you cadets over 18 can not participate in cadet O-flights, but they can still participate in military O-flights.

Майор Хаткевич

Joined May 2003.

Flight Date
6   30 Apr 2005
9   08 Oct 2006
6   10 Oct 2004
99   10 Oct 2004
7   11 Dec 2005
99   11 Dec 2005

spacecommand

Flying opportunities still exist though, cadets 18 years + can  start training as mission scanners and observers.

Offtopic, but you're a C/A1C and a skills evaluator?

EMT-83

Quote from: JerseyCadet on June 26, 2012, 03:38:12 PM

That is unfortunate, but how often is it the cadet's fault that they didn't schedule O-Flights?

Well, there's always one plane out on the ramp, and often two. At every squadron meeting an announcement is made as to which pilots are available that week.

Quote from: Eclipse on June 26, 2012, 03:47:14 PM
Months in advance of the 18th birthday, or months in advance of the flights?  Most cadets are in CAP 3-5 years by 18, if they haven't gotten a ride in by then, they aren't likely to care.

Assuming there are plans and a functioning program, my experience is that if they don't fly the first year, they probably won't fly, as they probably aren't interested.

Very true, some cadets simply aren't interested in flying. Then there's the "my birthday is Thursday, can I do three O-flights by then" cadets.

Maybe because O-flights are always available, it's no big deal. Cadets that come over from non-flying squadrons are definitely more excited about going up.