Main Menu

Military Discounts

Started by usafcap1, May 04, 2012, 07:48:05 AM

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on May 06, 2012, 03:08:38 PM
I must admit that it is nice to get offered a military discount, I still tend to get them because people see my Army Id in my wallet, yes I still carry it with me, I just can't bring myself to take it out.
snip..snip..
You might be violating federal law by having that military ID in your possession and displaying it, even if expired unless you are authorized as a military member in active/reserve/guard status to retain the ID card.
RM     

RogueLeader

Might be, or are?  If violation, cite please. Because I got out on a Sunday, I could not turn my is in.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Persona non grata

Take a red marker to your ID card and that should satisfy  JKA........Dont know of any federal law...... ???
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

RogueLeader

I asking RM as he made the assertion.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

MSG Mac

If he was discharged they should have taken the ID period! If he was released from Active duty with a remaining commitment, he keeps the ID until his actual Discharge date whenever it may be.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

RogueLeader

Quote from: MSG Mac on May 06, 2012, 08:37:30 PM
If he was discharged they should have taken the ID period! If he was released from Active duty with a remaining commitment, he keeps the ID until his actual Discharge date whenever it may be.

Say I clear, and get my final clearing stamp and dd214 on Friday 24 Apr 10, but I can not sign out until 26 Apr. How am I to give them my id before I get out, and how can I give it to them when the office is closed?
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

HGjunkie

If I see the word "civil" highlighted one more time..  :-X
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: RogueLeader on May 06, 2012, 08:13:32 PM
Might be, or are?  If violation, cite please. Because I got out on a Sunday, I could not turn my is in.

Please Refer to:
http://www.cac.mil/common-access-card/managing-your-cac/

http://www.af.mil/shared/media/epubs/afi36-3026(i).pdf See chapter 9

[urlhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120114093308AApH4SX][/url]

As you see the ID card is the property of the DOD/issuing military service and must be turned in.  Surely, there might be some people who got out of the military service and still have their ID card and this part of of their memories display in the privacy of their home.  HOWEVER, if you have it in your wallet and you are displaying it, I think you are asking for a problem.  IF the expired card is seen on a military base it is normally confiscated by security forces (likely at the gate) and the individual is denied entry.   IF any services were obtained (likely only the BX, Commissary, Class 6, or Gas Station) than it would be considered theft of service, and a decision would have to be made by the local federal prosecutor on whether to take this to court. 

The bottom line is IF you aren't authorized to have a military ID card (even expired, most just put their thumb/finger over the expiration date) you shouldn't be running around town flashing it to unsuspecting good businesses in the local community to get a military discount.  Got to wonder if there was an actual current or retired military member who observed this, what the end result would be for the impostor ??? >:D   IF you are a CAP member doing this you should be thrown out of the program.
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 06, 2012, 09:04:59 PM
As you see the ID card is the property of the DOD/issuing military service and must be turned in.  Surely, there might be some people who got out of the military service and still have their ID card and this part of of their memories display in the privacy of their home.  HOWEVER, if you have it in your wallet and you are displaying it, I think you are asking for a problem.  IF the expired card is seen on a military base it is normally confiscated by security forces (likely at the gate) and the individual is denied entry.   IF any services were obtained (likely only the BX, Commissary, Class 6, or Gas Station) than it would be considered theft of service, and a decision would have to be made by the local federal prosecutor on whether to take this to court. 

Is this part of your daily gate briefing to the guards?

"That Others May Zoom"

manfredvonrichthofen

Yeah... It's not displayed... It is in a card slot, never taken it out, unless i was asked about it, and I don't flash it around. My drivers licence is displayed and my CAP ID is displayed. I have just never been able to bring myself to take it out. But reading the regulation, that I was not aware of, I will take it out and put it away. But I was told I could and should keep the ID, if anything happened and I didn't have a copy of my 214, that could be used to trace my record to get a new one, it just makes it easier, but as well I guess I should send it back.

I don't show it to get discounts or anything of the sort, i dont show it for anything unless asked about it, that is just flat wrong, and unless you know me, don't make assumptions that I do. I also get asked about the CIB on my hat, and that shows my combat duty, so I guess I should take tht off too huh?

There are butt loads of people who get out and still have their IDs, every one that I know who got out still have theirs. No one forces you to hand them in. I have been back to Fort Campbell a few times since getting out and have not been asked once to hand it over.

But that aside, I will comply with the regulation and return my ID.

The CyBorg is destroyed

IF you are a CAP member doing this you should be thrown out of the program.
RM

And there we have it...a summary court-martial, except that we can't be subjected to that, since we are not military.

Are you a lawyer/paralegal?

If not...well, I remember way back to BMT what was said about "barracks lawyering."

Quote from: HGjunkie on May 06, 2012, 08:52:48 PM
If I see the word "civil" highlighted one more time..  :-X

It's just a fixation friend RM has, for whatever reason.  I studied psychology at university-level for a couple of years, but I never saw "fixation with a word" in the DSM-IV.

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on May 06, 2012, 03:57:07 PM
I enjoy being a member of the CIVIL Air Patrol and am an active contributing member to my unit and also assist my wing within my personal limitations.  I have achieved wing level yearly awards in more than one functional area of CAP.  I produce results just wearing a golf shirt with appropriate grey pants, etc :angel:   

And I know a lot of members who produce results wearing the AF type uniform.  What point are you trying to prove?  Is it somehow more of an honour producing results just with the golf shirt setup?

BTW I do understand why there are wanna bees in the organization.  .

I don't think so, because I don't think you understand what a "wannabe" is outside of your personal definition.

From my Oxford Dictionary:

wannabe n. slang often derogatory a person who tries to emulate a particular celebrity, follow the lifestyle of a particular group, etc. (also attrib.: all those wannabe guitar heroes).

Now, if someone in CAP and/or the Armed Forces comes up to me and calls me a wannabe...if they are senior in rank to me, they'll be told "it's not up to you to make that call, Sir/Ma'am, and I request you not insult me."  If they're equal/junior in rank to me, they'll be told to gag it.

An example of a "wannabe" (as I see it) is to cobble together an RAF officer's uniform from items easily available on Evilbay, play dress-up and actually present myself as an RAF officer, complete with bad Midlands accent:

Image from What Price Glory, stockists and suppliers to military reenactors

"I say, so jolly good to be back in the Colonies again, attached to the American Air Force.  Flight Lieutenant Cyrus Borg here; can't wait to get stuck into the cockpit of one of those F-22's of yours!"

(Not only would that make me a wannabe, but it would also show me as a can or two shy of a six-pack, not to mention violating Federal law for impersonating an officer of an allied nation!)

IF you or anyone else don't like what I post, than don't read it. :angel: Surely anyone reading these forums can formulate an opinion on the dynamics that are going on with some members here. :-X

Then why post it to begin with?

The bottom line is Civil Air Patrol members are not in the military and are not entitled to any discounts or benefits that have been set aside for military members.

When in doubt, restate the obvious.

It's surprising that National HQ, via a standards of conduct, doesn't reemphasize this to the field on a regular basis.

Maybe the chaps and chapesses with egg on their caps have more pressing concerns?

HOWEVER, in the end it's up to every CAP member to do the "right thing" if an inappropriate benefit/discount is offered.

I stated how I handle it and that's how I will continue to handle it.  However, if the "right thing" means to apologise for being in an organisation administered by the United States Air Force and for, when in uniform, looking somewhat like a member of that service...ain't happening.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

BillB

At encampments, the encampment commander, deputy commander or Wing Director would go talk with the Base Commander to get an OK for a CAP officer to be authorized BX, commissary privledges and all CAP members could purchase gas for corporate and private vehicles. Only class 6 was not authorized. The authorization for all except gas was limited to one person with a letter from the Base Commander to purchase things like snacks and cans of coffee for the encampment offices. Any Base Commander has authority to allow CAP the use of those facilities.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

PHall

Quote from: BillB on May 06, 2012, 10:47:26 PM
At encampments, the encampment commander, deputy commander or Wing Director would go talk with the Base Commander to get an OK for a CAP officer to be authorized BX, commissary privledges and all CAP members could purchase gas for corporate and private vehicles. Only class 6 was not authorized. The authorization for all except gas was limited to one person with a letter from the Base Commander to purchase things like snacks and cans of coffee for the encampment offices. Any Base Commander has authority to allow CAP the use of those facilities.

That's what MSA's are for. Why reinvent the wheel?

Eclipse

Even that isn't necessary - the language is already in the AFI.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

I never have even (to date) had privileges that extensive with on-base shopping.

I've never had Commissary or gas station privileges...nor have I ever asked for them.

I've had limited BX/Shopette privileges during CAP activities.

Other than that, just the standard MCSS privileges that all CAP members get.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Cliff_Chambliss

Quote from: Eclipse on May 06, 2012, 09:07:43 PM

Is this part of your daily gate briefing to the guards?

Actually yesterday my wife and I did our monthly shopping trip to the commissary at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama.  As we normally do, as we entered the gate I presented my retired Army Id Card and my wife's dependent ID Card.  The Security Guard looked them and then:
"Sir your wife's card is expired, please pull over to the holding area and wait".  A few moments later he gave us a temporary visitors pass and told us the MILPO (Military Personnel Office) would be open Monday.  He kept her card.  Btw her card expired 30 April 2012 and this all took place 6 May 2012. 
So YES, the secuirty folks do check dates and YES they will confiscate an expired card.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

abdsp51

Any gate guard worth their salt will check experation dates on IDs.  That being said depending on the branch it is unlikely that someone in posession of an ID either expired or they are not suppose to have will ever wind up in court.  I have never recieved a mil discount wearing CAP uniform.  And where and what CAP is allowed to do on at least an AF installation is upto the wing king.   Class 6 has always been off limits and gas well you can plug your CC into the reader to pay for it and be good to go. But we as CAP shoukdn't ask for any discounts and if a buisness offers then that is on them.

SarDragon

Quote from: usafcap1 on May 06, 2012, 02:37:56 PM
Spelling does not matter!!!!

I beg to differ. Bad spelling reflects negatively on you. It goes with a bad attitude, and a lack of attention to detail. As you progress through CAP, your writing skills will come into play, and bad ones will get you nowhere. Nor will that lack of attention to detail.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

^ Wow, that's just sad.  Ease of access to the medium does not relieve you from using it properly.

What apparently is lost to many people is that when a message contains grammatical errors or incorrect spelling, the reader
gets hung on those words or phrases, and will miss the actual message.

Not to mention that the credibility of the writer becomes suspect as well.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

yes of course....but also....it is not the end of the world either.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP