Main Menu

Dogtags

Started by usafcap1, April 25, 2012, 12:38:52 AM

johnnyb47

Quote from: bflynn on April 25, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 25, 2012, 12:44:41 AM
Why do you need dog tags?

In case you get killed, shot or blown up, they can identify the body for the next of kin.  There's two you see.  You take one so you can use it to report someone KIA and the other you leave with the body in a secure location - depending on the wound, that could be inside the chest cav...

Oh, you mean why does CAP need them?  So they can be military pretenders.  There's no other reason.
Heh.
The Uniforms, drill, ribbons, medals, rank structure, C&C's and ES gear are all ok... BUT YOU DOG TAG GUYS ARE WANNA-BEES!
Sorry.... just got a chuckle out of that.
:)
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 25, 2012, 12:55:12 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on April 25, 2012, 12:44:41 AM
Why do you need dog tags?
In case SM bagodoughnuts dies valiantly making more coffee.

Even a minor coffee accident would probably melt the CAPID card. 8)

Major Lord

Hey, you guys should sell them as a SQ fundraiser! Note, don't wear DogTags when traveling on airlines: The TSA won't get it, but when Achmed the terrorist is walking down the aisle of the aircraft looking for someone to decapitate on Youtube, you are pretty much volunteering. Also, the metal ball-chains can lead to snagging and accidental electrocution, and substituting Paracord can leave you as well hung as Judas Iscariot. They make excellent toe-tags and patient care bracelets, so make sure that no one guesses at their blood type- if they list the wrong type, a transfusion reaction could kill them.

This is probably moot, since I read yesterday that the Obama administration had declared the war on terror over. I did not get the Memo; Does anyone know who won?

Put me down for a set. I would like one each  for my three mini Australian shepherds too! Blood type: "Dog", Religion? "Catlick"!

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: Major Lord on April 25, 2012, 02:11:18 PM
Hey, you guys should sell them as a SQ fundraiser! Note, don't wear DogTags when traveling on airlines: The TSA won't get it, but when Achmed the terrorist is walking down the aisle of the aircraft looking for someone to decapitate on Youtube, you are pretty much volunteering. Also, the metal ball-chains can lead to snagging and accidental electrocution, and substituting Paracord can leave you as well hung as Judas Iscariot. They make excellent toe-tags and patient care bracelets, so make sure that no one guesses at their blood type- if they list the wrong type, a transfusion reaction could kill them.

This is probably moot, since I read yesterday that the Obama administration had declared the war on terror over. I did not get the Memo; Does anyone know who won?

Put me down for a set. I would like one each  for my three mini Australian shepherds too! Blood type: "Dog", Religion? "Catlick"!

Major Lord
You are sick and dark... Thank you for the laugh, nice start to the day.

Major Lord

You are sick and dark... Thank you for the laugh, nice start to the day.
[/quote]

I just like to encourage Squadrons to do anything! An object at rest tends to remain at rest, said my old pal Ike. Or to quote another great thinker ( Ned Flander's Dad from "the Simpson's) " We tried nuthin!....and we're all out of ideas!"

I bet we could sharpen one edge of the dog tag and wear it on our key chain in a rubber anti-jingle sleeve. This way, we could sleep well knowing that we pulled something over on the TSA! (Note, please don't tell them I said this.....)

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Major Lord on April 25, 2012, 02:11:18 PM
Also, the metal ball-chains can lead to snagging and accidental electrocution, and substituting Paracord can leave you as well hanged as Judas Iscariot.

FTFY

commando1

Why is it, that every time a cadet wants to do something the military does, it makes them a wannabee? I have worn dog tags every day since I was 11. It is an excellent identification marker. We see accidents all the time where the body is mutilated or disfigured. If I want to make sure my remains are correctly identified, whats that to you? Or if I pass out drunk at some party and want to make sure they know who I am, whats that to you? Why does that make me a wannabee? I do not understand this.  :-\
Non Timebo Mala

jimmydeanno

Quote from: commando1 on April 25, 2012, 03:34:44 PMOr if I pass out drunk at some party and want to make sure they know who I am, whats that to you?

Wait, is this the joke about why the Navy sews their name on the back of their pants?
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on April 25, 2012, 03:36:32 PM
Wait, is this the joke about why the Navy sews their name on the back of their pants?

Wait, doesn't everyone?

"That Others May Zoom"

SAR-EMT1

Just the Navy...

And isn't that so that their clothing can be identified on laundry day ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

manfredvonrichthofen

I don't think anyone is dogging on the cadet. It's fine to wear dog tags, we are just sharing our experiences with dog tags. And making some rather hilarious jokes.
I carried my dog tags in myback pocket when I was deployed. Those suckers could get hot... But it wasn't a recruiting commercial wearing a t-shirt and ruck with my dog tags flopping around my neck through the desert being chased by an Apache... I wish...

ColonelJack

For what it's worth, I wear dog tags too.  CAP-specific ones, with my CAPID in place of the SSN.

And I'm not any kind of "wannabe" ... I'm a "has-been."  (Wait, that didn't come out right.)  I mean, I'm a "BTDT."  Yeah.  That's what I meant.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 25, 2012, 03:51:52 PM
And isn't that so that their clothing can be identified on laundry day?

No, it's so you can identify your troops from the rear, though not sure if they still do that with the NWU, as the "above the right rear pocket" area
is no longer visible.

"That Others May Zoom"

68w20

Quote from: Eclipse on April 25, 2012, 03:59:08 PM
And isn't that so that their clothing can be identified on laundry day?

No, it's so you can identify your troops from the rear, though not sure if they still do that with the NWU, as the "above the right rear pocket" area
is no longer visible.

It's still there, I saw a few recruits wearing them at NAVSTA GL this weekend.  The tape was in the same place on BDU/DCUs as well, so it carried over to the NWU.

Cliff_Chambliss

Just took a look at mine from the Vietnam era:
1st Line: Last Name
2d Line:  First Name M.I.
3d Line:  Service Component - RA (Regular Army) and Serial #
4th Line: Blood Type and Social Security #
5th Line: Religous Preference
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

Flying Pig

Just the Navy...

The Marines do it too

vento

Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 05:17:00 PM
Just the Navy...

The Marines do it too

Some Navy guys in our squadron never fail to argue that the Marines are part of the Navy, and they always get the "stare" from the retired Marines. (I am almost sure that those stares can really burn a hole)  >:D :angel:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: vento on April 25, 2012, 07:37:32 PM
Quote from: Flying Pig on April 25, 2012, 05:17:00 PM
Just the Navy...

The Marines do it too

Some Navy guys in our squadron never fail to argue that the Marines are part of the Navy, and they always get the "stare" from the retired Marines. (I am almost sure that those stares can really burn a hole)  >:D :angel:

Insert obligatory, "yeah, the men's department" joke here.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

SarDragon

Just the Navy...

Actually, the laundry mark goes inside the waist band, or on the tail of the shirt.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SarDragon

In my unit, the majority of the former military folks are Navy, but the commander was a Marine. We have at least one inter-service rivalry joke at every meeting.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret