Main Menu

Safety Pee Chart

Started by RADIOMAN015, May 22, 2010, 05:37:01 PM

HGjunkie

Same rules for hydration apply in cold weather, I remember having to drink a lot of water at my basic winter encampment. It's actually easier in my opinion to dehydrate in cold weather because you're not sweating like in the heat, so you think you don't need as much water, but you do.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

ol'fido

The unofficial motto of the 2010 Illinois Wing Summer Encampment: "Don't Pee Cheddar!" Thanks, Joe!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

notaNCO forever

When I was at BMT the medic told me the pee charts posted everywhere were useless and even if your urine is clear you can still be dehydrated. Apparently it's important to sip water because if you chug it your body won't absorb it and it will just pass through you. As far as drinking to much water I've drank eleven canteens in a day and still survived.

SarDragon

I gotta disagree with both of those ideas.

The body will absorb water at whatever rate needed and available. If you chug it, it goes through your system, as necessary, and the rest leaves as sweat and/or urine. Today, I drank 38 ounces of water, in 9.5 ounce increments, in about ten minutes, consuming each portion as fast as I could pour it in my mouth and refill the container. (There's an irrelevant story in there.)

I probably only peed out less than a single portion. My body needed water. It took what it needed, and got rid of the rest. This whole evolution took place in air conditioning, after some time outside in 97 degree heat.

Eleven canteens is 5.5 quarts. That is likely too much water for one day.Yes, you survived, but a cavalier attitude about water consumption could catch up with you when you least expect it. Hero to zero is too easy in this arena. That's why there are rules and recommendations on dehydration, and fluid and electrolyte replenishment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_poisoning
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_balance
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

1LtNurseOfficer

The Mayo Clinic

QuoteHow much water do you need?
Every day you lose water through your breath, perspiration, urine and bowel movements. For your body to function properly, you must replenish its water supply by consuming beverages and foods that contain water.

So how much water does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? In general, doctors recommend 8 or 9 cups. Here are the most common ways of calculating that amount:

-- Replacement approach. The average urine output for adults is about 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) a day. You lose close to an additional liter (about 4 cups) of water a day through breathing, sweating and bowel movements. Food usually accounts for 20 percent of your total fluid intake, so if you consume 2 liters of water or other beverages a day (a little more than 8 cups) along with your normal diet, you will typically replace your lost fluids.

-- Eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day. Another approach to water intake is the "8 x 8 rule" — drink eight 8-ounce glasses of water a day (about 1.9 liters). The rule could also be stated, "Drink eight 8-ounce glasses of fluid a day," as all fluids count toward the daily total. Although the approach really isn't supported by scientific evidence, many people use this easy-to-remember rule as a guideline for how much water and other fluids to drink.

-- Dietary recommendations. The Institute of Medicine advises that men consume roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day and women consume 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.

Even apart from the above approaches, if you drink enough fluid so that you rarely feel thirsty and produce 1.5 liters (6.3 cups) or more of colorless or slightly yellow urine a day, your fluid intake is probably adequate. If you're concerned about your fluid intake, check with your doctor or a registered dietitian. He or she can help you determine the amount of water that's best for you.

blkhwk

Quote from: SarDragon on August 20, 2010, 03:10:26 AM

Eleven canteens is 5.5 quarts.....

I don't know about that....a standard canteen is a quart. There also two-quart square shaped ones, that you can carry in a pouch like a purse, or attach to a ruck. The only half-quarts I have ever seen are that little-bitty aluminum boy scout ones. 

SarDragon

Oh, I thought a canteen held a pint. So 11 canteens is WAY too much.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

A British Pint..  maybe. ;-)