Main Menu

Book suggestions

Started by freeflight, June 28, 2007, 03:49:03 AM

freeflight

I recently finished two books that I thought would fun for others to read.

Alpha Bravo Delta Guide to War Planes
George Larson and Mike Benson
ISBN-10: 1592572324

It has a fair amount of basic information in it.  I did learn some new things from this book. The thing I didn't like was that the authors would mention an aircraft then state in parentheses that they would talk about it later.

Luftwaffe over America: The Secret Plans to Bomb the United States in World War II
Manfed Griehl
ISBN-10: 0760786976

Very interesting book to read. I wonder how advanced Germany was in aviation.

IceNine

I also suggest both Lincoln on Leadership and Powell on Leadership, Both have some great information especially for new commanders
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Flying Pig

Any book by John Maxwell.  He writes leadership books specific to volunteer organizations. 

JohnKachenmeister

I just finished reading "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again," the autobiography of Jimmy Doolittle.  Doolittle was a very unique man and a gift to our nation at a time when he was needed.  He was a blend of scientist, businessman, tactician, and aviator that was able to bring together industry, the aviation community, and the Army to help win a victory over two dangerous enemies in World War II.

The vision and ability of Hap Arnold is legendary, but a lot of what Arnold accomplished he accomplished through Doolittle.
Another former CAP officer

DKruse

My recommendation is "Guests of the Ayatollah" by Mark Bowden.  It's a great account of the takeover of the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979.  Just like "Black Hawk Down" and "Killing Pablo", the book is well-researched and well-written.

Dalen Kruse, Capt., CAP
St. Croix Composite Squadron
NCR-MN-122

Ad hadem cum gloria. Faciamus operum.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 25, 2007, 07:38:17 PM
I just finished reading "I Could Never Be So Lucky Again," the autobiography of Jimmy Doolittle.  Doolittle was a very unique man and a gift to our nation at a time when he was needed.  He was a blend of scientist, businessman, tactician, and aviator that was able to bring together industry, the aviation community, and the Army to help win a victory over two dangerous enemies in World War II.

The vision and ability of Hap Arnold is legendary, but a lot of what Arnold accomplished he accomplished through Doolittle.
Yeah, I read it several years ago, and it's a great book.  I consider it one of my favorites, along with "Ba Ba Blacksheep" the autobiography of Gregory Boyington.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

A.Member

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."