How to become a GTM-3

Started by Stonewall, August 15, 2019, 01:39:49 AM

Stonewall

Quote from: NEBoom on August 16, 2019, 05:00:01 PM
Stonewall, Would like a Word format copy of this please!  Check your PM.
Thanks much, great work!

On the road. Will send later this evening.
Serving since 1987.

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Holding Pattern on August 16, 2019, 06:52:02 PM
180 days for the time limit.

That time limit was removed in latest revision of CAPR 100-1.

Stonewall

Quote from: wacapgh on August 16, 2019, 06:27:45 PM
I may have missed the reference to it in the document, but doesn't ICUT have two parts? The online videos and quizzes followed by the in-person evaluation with actual CAP radios.

There is a time limit between passing the last quiz and completing the practical evaluation - Isn't it 90 days?

If your unit does not have a radios issued to it, your unit will have to arrange to borrow some or visit another unit to use theirs.

I was thinking a hands-on portion would be required. In fact, it should. I'd rather spend an hour or so teaching radio ops, procedures, and protocols than having people do the online videos and quizzes.  However, we've had three cadets complete the online training this past week and as soon as they finished, it showed up as "green" (accomplished) in their SQTR. That tells me no practical training is required, or at least is not required as far as the SQTR is concerned.

I started with having to get my FCC restricted radio operator permit before I was allowed to touch a CAP radio. Then, I had to memorize all the prowords and phonetic alphabet. Then, go through two hours of training. Then, CAP moved to the ROA, then BCUT and ACUT. Now, ICUT.
Serving since 1987.

Ozzy

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2019, 02:37:26 AM
Quote from: wacapgh on August 16, 2019, 06:27:45 PM
I may have missed the reference to it in the document, but doesn't ICUT have two parts? The online videos and quizzes followed by the in-person evaluation with actual CAP radios.

There is a time limit between passing the last quiz and completing the practical evaluation - Isn't it 90 days?

If your unit does not have a radios issued to it, your unit will have to arrange to borrow some or visit another unit to use theirs.

I was thinking a hands-on portion would be required. In fact, it should. I'd rather spend an hour or so teaching radio ops, procedures, and protocols than having people do the online videos and quizzes.  However, we've had three cadets complete the online training this past week and as soon as they finished, it showed up as "green" (accomplished) in their SQTR. That tells me no practical training is required, or at least is not required as far as the SQTR is concerned.

I started with having to get my FCC restricted radio operator permit before I was allowed to touch a CAP radio. Then, I had to memorize all the prowords and phonetic alphabet. Then, go through two hours of training. Then, CAP moved to the ROA, then BCUT and ACUT. Now, ICUT.

That is weird. There is supposed to be a hands-on portion tested by the comms officer or something like that.... here is from the online ICUT:

"Upon completion of this program you will have 180 days to complete a hands-on evaluation. For information on evaluators please refer to your Squadron Communications Officer, Commander, Wing DC or the new CAP Regulation 100-1 par 5.2 Subsection "

CAPR 100-1 states:
"5.2.3. Communications staff member recorded in eServices at any level, including cadets, may
serve as mentors/evaluators. All mentors/evaluators must have completed ICUT and Skills
Evaluator Training (SET) before they may supervise performance of skills and procedures of ICUT
students. The mandatory standardized checklists and guidelines for mentors/evaluators may be
found by qualified evaluators in the Communications section of eServices.
5.2.4. Students completing online ICUT instruction or classroom instruction must demonstrate
required skills to a qualified evaluator, IAW paragraph 5.2.3, above. When a student has performed
the required skills and procedures satisfactorily, the student may enter the training approval in OPS
QUALS, similar to conventional ES training. Although a separate section of OPS QUALS is
provided for Communications training, the training will cross-reference into ES training SQTRs.
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

SarDragon

I've been doing ICUT SET since its inception, and I've never seen someone go all green without completing the practical portion.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NIN

Quote from: Stonewall on August 17, 2019, 02:37:26 AM
Then, CAP moved to the ROA, then BCUT and ACUT. Now, ICUT.

ROA? New guy.

ROP FOREVER!

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on August 17, 2019, 07:53:05 AM
I've been doing ICUT SET since its inception, and I've never seen someone go all green without completing the practical portion.

Well, that's what should happen...
CAPR 100-1, Page 14: https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/R100_001_162D77B8183A1.pdf

"5.2.4. Students completing online ICUT instruction or classroom instruction must demonstrate
required skills to a qualified evaluator, IAW paragraph 5.2.3, above. When a student has performed
the required skills and procedures satisfactorily, the student may enter the training approval in OPS
QUALS, similar to conventional ES training. Although a separate section of OPS QUALS is
provided for Communications training, the training will cross-reference into ES training SQTRs.
5.2.5. Local mentors/evaluators may deliver a "live" version of the ICUT course, showing the
training videos in a classroom setting, administering the written test and following the instructor's
guide found in the downloadable ICUT materials in the Communications section of eServices.
Any unit/wing/region/national Communications staff member recorded in eServices who has
completed ICUT, may serve as mentor/evaluator for the live ICUT classes. In live instructional
settings, the Instructor's Guide must be followed faithfully."

The practical is a full set of instructions available to ICUT SETs that basically has the operator
assemble an HT and/or Mobile radio and perform some common functions. then moving into passing messages
and some other related skills. Takes about 10-15 minutes for someone prepared.

I found the document online, but it's from a typical CAP "you're not supposed to post this online" website, so
I'll let Google be the leaker here.

However, for those who had A-Cuts (not likely too many left at this point) a practical wasn't / isn't required.
As I recall wasn't there a deadline of 1 year from April 2016 when 100-1 was pub'ed?

"5.2.6. Members who previously held a valid ACUT qualification, documented in eServices, are
required to take only the OP1 section of the ICUT course, which is an orientation to the 21st
Century CAP Communications system; however, they have the option of not taking the ICUT
sections about operation of VHF-FM radios (T1) and radio operating procedures (OP2). The
Learning Management System, used for online ICUT instruction, and OPS QUALS are structured
to reflect this option. It is recommended that all communicators take all sections of ICUT in order
to be familiar with the training received by newer members."

With both the above said, CAP still has plenty of Commanders who think Level 1 is online as well.
The system requires input, but nothing stops an inclined person with the mouse who has this idea
from just clicking.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Just went back to eServices to look at the SQTR of two cadets that just completed their ICUT online WITHOUT any hands-on training or assessment and they are both green on ICUT. It was automatic as soon as they completed the online training.

Not agreeing with it at all. Just saying it's what is happening.
Serving since 1987.

Eclipse

Assuming no integrity issues, then something is broken,
as it's always required the SET to manually enter
the practical.

"That Others May Zoom"

Ozzy

Quote from: Eclipse on August 18, 2019, 12:40:06 PM
Assuming no integrity issues, then something is broken,
as it's always required the SET to manually enter
the practical.

There was the change of doing ICUT over to Axis... maybe that is the issue? Wasn't coded right?
Ozyilmaz, MSgt, CAP
C/Lt. Colonel (Ret.)
NYWG Encampment 07, 08, 09, 10, 17
CTWG Encampment 09, 11, 16
NER Cadet Leadership School 10
GAWG Encampment 18, 19
FLWG Winter Encampment 19

NovemberWhiskey

Quote from: Ozzy on August 18, 2019, 03:13:01 PM
There was the change of doing ICUT over to Axis... maybe that is the issue? Wasn't coded right?

I would think it would be possible to verify whether the T1/OP2 practical portion was entered (and by whom) by the appropriate Communications Officer checking in Ops Quals.

An issue we recently saw was that you can retake ICUT theory in Axis and it will update your qualification dates in Ops Quals so it looks like the ICUT practical was done before the theory portion was completed.