Main Menu

Bed Roll, inflatable?

Started by AngelWings, June 15, 2012, 03:34:13 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: AngelWings on June 15, 2012, 04:39:19 PM
Just to make sure this is clear, I am making this a display for a family day/fundraiser event where my squadron and I were hoping to display CERT gear and GTM gear so families can see what we pack and how it feels if they so choose to pick it up. I am used to not having to carry a tent or sleeping bag, but for this event I want people to feel the weight of what we pack and get the just of why we have it. I usually never use my 72 since I am personally a CERT team member and just got qualified as a MSA.

I wouldn't even bother with the 72.  Just display the 24.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I use ccf pad because I have it from my army days, and I'm too cheap to buy another one.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2012, 06:20:51 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on June 15, 2012, 04:39:19 PM
Just to make sure this is clear, I am making this a display for a family day/fundraiser event where my squadron and I were hoping to display CERT gear and GTM gear so families can see what we pack and how it feels if they so choose to pick it up. I am used to not having to carry a tent or sleeping bag, but for this event I want people to feel the weight of what we pack and get the just of why we have it. I usually never use my 72 since I am personally a CERT team member and just got qualified as a MSA.

I wouldn't even bother with the 72.  Just display the 24.
I was going to do just do the 24, but I promised a full 72, so I have to follow through.

SarDragon

Quote from: bflynn on June 15, 2012, 12:48:21 PM
The thing to think about with an inflatable bedroll is insulation.  The main purpose of the bedroll is to keep you warm from the ground, not to make the ground soft.  Air is not a very good insulator, so an inflatable bedroll is inferior.

Not true. Air, when kept from circulating, is actually a pretty good insulator. It is the primary insulator in most clothing. The fabric traps it, and prevents the circulation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

The full ride includes skivvies and socks, but who would know what's in a closed duffle?
Pack it with a couple blankets and print a nice list of what should be in there.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on June 15, 2012, 08:59:18 PM
The full ride includes skivvies and socks, but who would know what's in a closed duffle?
Pack it with a couple blankets and print a nice list of what should be in there.
That's a great idea!

lordmonar

If you want to simulate the weight....find out how much your gear weighs...then chuck in a couple of water bottles, bricks, or dead weights to simulate the full load.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ol'fido

Actually the two blankets would be the definition of a bedroll. Before there were store made sleeping bags, campers used bedrolls. These were two-three blankets folded together so that they mimicked a sleeping bag type shape. They were held together with "blanket pins", overlarge safety pins made for the purpose. You can still find them sold at mountain man rendezvous and F&IW encampments.

The old GI sleeping bags are great until they get wet as they are mostly down. The trick is to be very careful and try to roll them as tight as possible. I would suggest that unless you are getting into serious backpacking and camping, that you go to Walmart or Target and buy a Coleman mummy bag rated to about 20* F. That will be good to about the mid-30*s. Always add 10*F to the rated temperature of the bag to get the real rating at which the bag will be comfortable. You can add 10-20* to a bag by buying an inexpensive fleece bag and use it as a bivy sack.

The Thermarests are  good. i would stay away from an regular air matress unless you are sleeping in a building somewhere. Just don't fill it up all the way. Leave a little give so that your body can form to the mattress.

If you can't figure out how to attach this bag to your pack, I would suggest that you find somebody who is field savvy and have them inspect your gear. i say this because it sounds like you may be carrying too much weight just from what you've said.

My .02. YMMV.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

AngelWings

Quote from: ol'fido on June 15, 2012, 10:55:57 PM
Actually the two blankets would be the definition of a bedroll. Before there were store made sleeping bags, campers used bedrolls. These were two-three blankets folded together so that they mimicked a sleeping bag type shape. They were held together with "blanket pins", overlarge safety pins made for the purpose. You can still find them sold at mountain man rendezvous and F&IW encampments.

The old GI sleeping bags are great until they get wet as they are mostly down. The trick is to be very careful and try to roll them as tight as possible. I would suggest that unless you are getting into serious backpacking and camping, that you go to Walmart or Target and buy a Coleman mummy bag rated to about 20* F. That will be good to about the mid-30*s. Always add 10*F to the rated temperature of the bag to get the real rating at which the bag will be comfortable. You can add 10-20* to a bag by buying an inexpensive fleece bag and use it as a bivy sack.

The Thermarests are  good. i would stay away from an regular air matress unless you are sleeping in a building somewhere. Just don't fill it up all the way. Leave a little give so that your body can form to the mattress.

If you can't figure out how to attach this bag to your pack, I would suggest that you find somebody who is field savvy and have them inspect your gear. i say this because it sounds like you may be carrying too much weight just from what you've said.

My .02. YMMV.
It's a little heavy. If I took a picture and showed it with everything attached/packed on/in it, do you think you could point out where to put it? The bag is relatively small, and I am trying to make it work so I don't have to have a huge backpack on me.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006