CAP Motorola Programmers

Started by GaryJSO, November 24, 2011, 05:40:21 AM

GaryJSO

I'd like to start a thread to link up folks that have the cables and CPS software needed to program Motorola SABRE/XTS3000/XTS5000 VHF portables, and the blessing from the CAP chain to do so.  Not sure which hurdle is higher, but I know I'm not willing to shell out more than my very lightly used XTS3000 cost just forr the programming software, then run the risk of bricking it out of ignorance.

I've searched the forums and saw a couple folks indicated they had the technology and were working on getting the authority.  Is there anyone out there that has broken the codes to legal program Motorolas for CAP use?

Gary

PHall

Have you talked to your Wing Comm folks? They may already have the answer for you.

arajca

Quote from: GaryJSO on November 24, 2011, 05:40:21 AM
I'd like to start a thread to link up folks that have the cables and CPS software needed to program Motorola SABRE/XTS3000/XTS5000 VHF portables, and the blessing from the CAP chain to do so.  Not sure which hurdle is higher, but I know I'm not willing to shell out more than my very lightly used XTS3000 cost just forr the programming software, then run the risk of bricking it out of ignorance.

I've searched the forums and saw a couple folks indicated they had the technology and were working on getting the authority.  Is there anyone out there that has broken the codes to legal program Motorolas for CAP use?

Gary
You idea of "breaking the codes" indicates to me, at least, that you do not plan to follow CAP rules regarding radio programming. As a former wing DC, I would have some issues with providing the information to someone who is looking to break the codes.

The cables are available on EvilBay and the software is available online from various sources. No, I will not provide that info.

Generally, if a member has a compliant radio, the wing comm staff will work with the member to help them get the radio programmed.

EMT-83

JetDriver777

Its not very hard to do.

I have all the equipment / Software to program just about any radio known to man, and am  "Cleared" to program and have access to CAP freq's (Even though they are publicly available on the net).

I am willing to help out any CAP member and program a radio or two for them.

The issue is where you got the radio from.  Most of the Motorola's on Ebay are more than likely stolen. If not stolen they are illegally flashed with a home brew flashcode that could 'Brick' the radio. You must do ample research to make sure a second hand radio is legit.  Batlabs has quite a few resources to help you in that area. 

Since I am affiliated with a Govt radio shop if i was to come across one of the above mentioned radios then I would have to report it to Motorola / LE.

Anyone can purchase the CPS from Motorola for a few hundred dollars, and cabled and RIB on ebay for about the same.

Spaceman3750

Colonel,

Good to hear from you again (I was in your GTL class at NESA).

Check with the FLWG DC. My wing already had an XTS3000 plug and the programming capability - with the XTS radios being as prevalent as they are, I wouldn't be surprised to find they already have the capability.

If your wing doesn't have the capability, PM me and I will see about passing along the contact info of one of my wing's comm engineers who does.

Ryan

GaryJSO

Thanks fir all the feedback.  I had already tied to work this through our wing DC.  He replied "To the best of my knowledge, there was no individual who has gone forth with this issue. We are currently swamped with other issues pressed upon us and have few to none of these radios in our inventory."  I understand Guy's position; FLWG staff generally has far more work to get done than they have resources to put against the taskers, hence this call to the field.

[/quote]
You idea of "breaking the codes" indicates to me, at least, that you do not plan to follow CAP rules regarding radio programming. As a former wing DC, I would have some issues with providing the information to someone who is looking to break the codes.

The cables are available on EvilBay and the software is available online from various sources. No, I will not provide that info.
[/quote]

arajca, my "breaking the codes" comment was in reference to the incredibly convoluted LEGAL process CAP has put in place to be approved to receive the freqs and tones for the CAP VHF band.   Maybe it's changed since I researched it with our previous wing DC a year and a half ago, but it sure sounded like the mother of all bureaucratic processes.  Heck, I had to ask the question three times before anyone would admit there even WAS a process to get a third party programmer approved to get access.  I found out that a city govt employee prgrammimg encrypted radios for federal law enforcement has to get vetted and approved just like the guy that dioes programming on the side to augment his cas stereo business.  And I have yet to find the process written down anywhere readily accessible to CAP members.  From where I'm sitting, looks like going the legal way demands that the member do a lot of code-breaking.

As to ebay, the russian site, pirate bay, etc., I tripped over all that in <45 mins of googling for legal alternatives to buying my own copy of CPS from Motorola On-line, a RIB, a cable, etc.  I found the current VHF bands and tones listed on two different websites.  I'd like to say my strength of character kept me from pursuing these options, but it didn't rise to that level of temptation: there probably are dumber stunts than pirating software from a company with a well-deserved reputation for tireless pursuit of individual violators in civil court, in order to program a radio with data you are prohibited from having, all in order to use a radio you bought out of pocket to operate openly on a network monitored by the owners of the frequency data you aren't supposed to have, all in the furtherance of a job you don't even get paid for.  Oh yeah, and if you don't do it right, your $300+ radio can easily become a paperweight.  But I'd be hard-pressed to think an example off the cuff...

I've got one local offer and one back-up offer from helpful CAP friends to legally program my radio in full compliance with CAPR 100-1.  If there are others out there willing to help a member in need, please pipe up for the benefit of future googlers.  Thanks!

Gary

GaryJSO

I gotta stop writing these things after midnight.  "Thanks fir..." "I had already tied"... ouch.  But aside from failing to run a grammer check, "I found out that a city ... stereo business." was supposed to come out something like:

I was told by our previous wing DC that my local city govt employee who is authorized to program and even encrypt Motorola radios for federal law enforcement (in addition to the city police, fire and other public service functions) has to get vetted and approved thorough exactly the same process (Wing DC, then Region DC then on to a National Comm panel) as some guy that does programming on the side to augment his car stereo installation/used computer sales and repair "business".  And no indication as to how long it would take in either case, or what the boards were looking for in deciding whether or not to approve the application.

Then I was told that this third party would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement that included a penalty for failing to comply (I think it was $10,000).  Who's going to take that on for the sake of doing a favor for a CAP member?  So I dropped that line of inquiry, and started waiting for a CAP member who had all the right permissions to come along.

Sorry for the long answer.  I did try to keep it short and to the point in round one....

Gary

DH

Gary,
It sounds much more complicated than it is. 1st, any government radio tech that would do the programming is going to understand the required non diclosure agreement so if you have a particular individual in mind it shouldn't be an issue. Contact the Wing DC again via email with the radio model number and the name of the individual you want to ask to do the programming and ask him to request the authorization to release information to the technician through "commpermissions".

Also, remember that the Wing DC (per CAPR100-1) is required to "authorize" any radio in the communications system. In our Wing, that means submitting the radio's serial number and model number. After verification that it is compliant and the owner has ACUT, we generally have no problem authorizing the radio for use in our Wing.

Buzz

Quote from: JetDriver777 on November 25, 2011, 12:59:21 AMThe issue is where you got the radio from.  Most of the Motorola's on Ebay are more than likely stolen. If not stolen they are illegally flashed with a home brew flashcode that could 'Brick' the radio. You must do ample research to make sure a second hand radio is legit.  Batlabs has quite a few resources to help you in that area. 

I dunno about that.

I can point to a dozen agencies which have bought Moto equipment at batch-buy pricing, then sold off the extras that they didn't need.  I was at a hamfest in California last month where a guy had a table full of Ma Batwing's latest, plus the various accessories, having bought thm from an agency which had bought 100 for less than the cost of the 80 that they actually needed.  The funny part was that the guy was selling better gear than was carried by the cop who thought he'd caught a thief and was verifying all of this.

The Sabers are long out of inventory for nearly everyone, and the Astro Sabers are on their way out. 

The point is that I have rarely seen stolen gear on Fleabay.  I've seen a few that got bricked, but that's a different issue, often related to the crummy software having problems with the computer or OS version, or someone's 15-generation copy of the CPS.