App for Mission Scanners/Observers

Started by ProdigalJim, August 15, 2011, 09:39:21 PM

ProdigalJim

So maybe I'm the last one to the party on this app, but I downloaded an iPad app (there's one for iPhone as well) that mimics a surveyor's theodolite range-finder and plops lat/long, range, bearing/azimuth, time and date, etc., right on to whatever image you've taken with your device. There's a button on the screen that lets you email the image, with the overlay, wherever it needs to go. And in the iPad2, at least, it's HD.

I'm still playing with it, but it seems in some ways to be the ideal "first pass" shooting option for MS/MO aircrew. Yes, it's not the full-up professional camera, but it would seem to offer the following advantages --

1) Ease of use: it's literally point and shoot
2) Ease of transmission: no fumbling around with cables, connectors, thumb drives; you just click the email button and it goes wherever you need it to go (IC, mission base, end customer, etc.)
3) Small file sizes: with most of the mission stuff I've done, the request from the customer has been explicit and specific that we supply only small-scale images, so as not to clog the limited bandwidth available.
4) Compact and ergonomic in flight: your kneeboard on one side, an iPad2 (or iPhone) in one hand, and that's literally all you need.

Has anyone else out there used it? Thoughts?

Oh, and here's a link

http://hrtapps.com/theodolite/
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Майор Хаткевич

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

Quote from: Eclipse on August 15, 2011, 09:49:54 PM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 15, 2011, 09:41:43 PM
I run Android.

Ditto.  As does the majority of those running smartphones.

Regardless, taking the OS portion out of the conversation, I think the app has its merits. I am sure a Droid app of similar function is lurking somewhere to be found.

This type of app will at least allow non "Airborne Photographer" rated members take some sort of decent picture that is useful for the overall mission.

I'd use it as a back up in case the CAP issued Nikon SLR goes bad for whatever reason.

Eclipse

Quote from: vento on August 16, 2011, 09:31:57 PMThis type of app will at least allow non "Airborne Photographer" rated members take some sort of decent picture that is useful for the overall mission.

Joking aside, how does this help take better photos?   It seems to provide a lot of data about the photo, but the best camera to date in an iOS product is only 5MP and has no zoom capabilities - not much good for airborne use unless you're looking to capture the curvature of the earth.

"That Others May Zoom"

vento

I wasn't joking.   >:D
The corporate issued Nikon SLR coupled with the GPS unit is not the most user friendly equipment for the mission for members without any training or familiarity with SLR. It takes a few hours of practice to take good pictures deliverable for actual missions.

Note, I said regardless of OS (not iOS specific), this type of apps can help. Because it does provide all required data like Lat/Lon and heading without having to connect to a PC and transmit. Even for your "beloved" <sarcasm> iOS device, the picture can still be useful since the pics are taken from 1000 ft AGL, you will see some curvature of the earth I suppose... I've seen pictures taken using both iPhone 4 and Droid in actual SAREXes, not the greatest, but still useful.

ProdigalJim

The last three times I was asked to take a picture, the IC specified, and repeated, no high-Rez imagery. Just take a normal picture that can be uploaded with the CAPF104.

And with the initial ID pass happening at 500AGL and the HD in the iPad2, the result isn't half-bad.
VAWG/CV

Eclipse

Quote from: ProdigalJim on August 16, 2011, 10:11:23 PMAnd with the initial ID pass happening at 500AGL and the HD in the iPad2, the result isn't half-bad.

iPad2's cameras are .3 and .7 Mp's respectively, hardly HD, despite the "size" of the image.

I can't begin to guess why anyone would specify "no high res", that doesn't make any sense.  If the files are too large for Juno, Netzero, down-size them at the base, don't reduce your master image.  Document systems worth their logos stopped having attachment limitations years ago, though I will grant that there are practical realities to email, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

^^^ Really!  The resolution should only be limited by the amount of memory in the camera and the expected number of images you need to take on a sortie (yea, you can download to a laptop or swap memory chips...).  Get it on the ground then do whatever magic you need to do to make the customer happy.

If the IC was telling you not take just close up high-res shots, then that is a different issue.  When you get a high-res photo of a very very small piece of ground, it really doesn't tell you much unless you have an area shot to put things in perspective.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

ProdigalJim

Quote from: Short Field on August 18, 2011, 05:14:54 AM
^^^ Really!  ... If the IC was telling you not take just close up high-res shots, then that is a different issue.  When you get a high-res photo of a very very small piece of ground, it really doesn't tell you much unless you have an area shot to put things in perspective.

Nope. Remote mission base, connectivity was an issue, so they really didn't want big fat files, regardless of distance, etc. I agree, my instinct would have been to get nice, detailed imagery, but we asked for clarification and that was their answer. I saluted smartly and said, "yes sir."

VAWG/CV

Eclipse

Then you take the high-res shots, but process them down before sending them.  I'm not suggesting you use RAW, but I'm not setting an 8Mp camera
to "Barbie Mode" for AP work.

"That Others May Zoom"

Short Field

^^^ What he said.  We have customers we send a few key low-res photos to on the day of the mission and then follow up with a cd full of high res photos later.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640