26 year old Airline Captain and 19 year old FO

Started by LSThiker, September 27, 2016, 04:11:14 AM

LSThiker

THRAWN

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or worried. The age and experience of flight crews has been a topic of discussion over the past decade or so. Does this pilot have enough experience to fly a regional route? Probably, in conditions with little potential for an in-flight emergency. Does the FO have the experience? Do they have enough combined experience to be operating a passenger aircraft? Mebbe. But it wouldn't be the first time that a carrier handed the keys to someone who then slammed into a maintenance hangar. There is too much flash attached to the "first" or "youngest" or "oldest" or "insert special group here" instead of relying on the safest....
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: THRAWN on September 27, 2016, 02:30:36 PM
I'm not sure if I should be impressed or worried. The age and experience of flight crews has been a topic of discussion over the past decade or so. Does this pilot have enough experience to fly a regional route? Probably, in conditions with little potential for an in-flight emergency. Does the FO have the experience? Do they have enough combined experience to be operating a passenger aircraft? Mebbe. But it wouldn't be the first time that a carrier handed the keys to someone who then slammed into a maintenance hangar. There is too much flash attached to the "first" or "youngest" or "oldest" or "insert special group here" instead of relying on the safest....

As someone as old as the Captain...these were my thoughts as well!

Eclipse

http://www.linkedin.com/pulse/youngest-commercial-airline-captain-jonathan-keith-o-derek

So what happened to Jonathan Strickland?

He's all over the tubes last year as the "youngest airline Captain" at 25, the video below says
as of August this year he's "flying 767s internationally", (of course in Europe "international" flights
can make CAP sorties look long), but his Linked-in indicates "First Officer", and GoJet is a regional out
of Missouri that only has about 5 destinations.  Perhaps since he wasn't working for a "major"
he doesn't count?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m5SsW6u3oE

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Here's a bit of info from a link in the Emergency Landing thread:

QuoteThe captain of the flight was Carlos Dardano. At just 29 years of age, Dardano had already amassed 13,410 flight hours. Almost 11,000 of these hours were as pilot in command.

Having that many hours is one thing. How you are using, or not using the experience is another. Back in '07, a couple of pilots, with a combined 53,000 ours in the air, managed a nighttime CFIT.

ETA: Failing to mention the specific event was intentional. Let's keep it that way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Just to add to the conversation: 

annual salaries

EasyJet
     Captain ~$130k (US)
     Flight Officer ~$60K (US)

Gojet
     Captain ~$60k
     Flight Officer ~$40K

At least in the US, many carriers only pay for flight hours, so while GoJet may
"guarantee" 75 hours a month, there's a lot of unpaid in those numbers as well.

A single guy or gal may be able to couch ride a few years for $40k, but not with a family,
and it's made even harder with 4+ years of college loans, not to mention probably additional
flight training and rentals on your back.

"That Others May Zoom"

grunt82abn

I seen a documentary that showed a lot of UK pilots go and fly Indonesia to build up hours, just to get a job back in the UK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT5gUKJidi0
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

PHall

I don't see a "problem" with a 26 year old Captain. There are lot's of 26 year old Aircraft Commanders in Air Mobility Command.
And they command everything from C-130's to C-5's.

goblin

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2016, 02:04:00 AM
I don't see a "problem" with a 26 year old Captain. There are lot's of 26 year old Aircraft Commanders in Air Mobility Command.

Beat me too it. I was flying crews and pax around the world at 26 as the A-Code.

Майор Хаткевич

Do they move tens of thousands of people around per year?

SarDragon

Certainly thousands, and much more cargo.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on September 28, 2016, 04:03:30 PM
Certainly thousands, and much more cargo.

Sent from my phone.

Cargo isn't really an issue. Much like our ORM, it's about the risk factors. If a Cargo plane goes down, the loss of life is drastically less than if a passanger jet goes down.

SarDragon

A heavy is a heavy. Any pilot who isn't covering his own ass, regardless of what he is carrying, probably shouldn't be in the cockpit.

Flying cargo has its own hazards - composition, tie-down security, etc, things he has little control of.

Sent from my phone.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Luis R. Ramos

Another thing with cargo. If a cargo plane hits the ground in an uncontrolled manner, it may kill people like a passenger plane crashing.

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Quote from: grunt82abn on September 28, 2016, 01:12:55 AM
I seen a documentary that showed a lot of UK pilots go and fly Indonesia to build up hours, just to get a job back in the UK.

Outstanding video - thanks for sharing!  I had not heard of the show & thoroughly enjoyed it.

grunt82abn

Quote from: 754837 on September 28, 2016, 05:47:32 PM
Quote from: grunt82abn on September 28, 2016, 01:12:55 AM

Outstanding video - thanks for sharing!  I had not heard of the show & thoroughly enjoyed it.
Glad you enjoyed it! I heard about it last semester at the school I was flying at. Several of the graduates actually applied there to build up hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

Flying Pig

We have fighter pilots that age if not younger and honestly... who cares?  Why are people still writing articles about female pilots like its somehow an anomaly ?

Flying Pig

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 28, 2016, 03:28:38 PM

Completely irrelevant

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 28, 2016, 08:10:43 PM
Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on September 28, 2016, 03:28:38 PM

Completely irrelevant

Disagree.

Luis R. Ramos

Grunt-

Thanks for the Indonesia video. Entertaining and eye opener...
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer