Tested: What the FAA Thinks of RC Aircraft, and Why it Matters...

Started by Eclipse, August 27, 2014, 08:43:13 PM

Eclipse

http://www.tested.com/tech/concepts/463976-what-faa-thinks-rc-aircraft-and-why-it-matters/

"The past few weeks have witnessed developments that could spell the end of radio-control aeromodeling as we know it. In short, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has claimed jurisdiction over certain RC activities. This move comes as part of the FAA's attempt to grasp control of the rapidly expanding presence of Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) in the national airspace. What was once a relaxing pastime could soon be a punishable offense."

"In June of this year, the FAA released a memo indicating its interpretation of Section 336. Not only was this memo produced absent of any coordination with the AMA, its wording is contrary to previous statements made by the FAA. Taken at face value, the FAA's memo-defined stance on aeromodeling would have drastic and far-reaching implications to the hobby as well as the small industry that it supports."

"That Others May Zoom"

nomiddlemas

I guess that in certain places at certain times it can be harmful.  The amount of radio control planes and real aircraft near misses are increasing alot.  But if its not in a heavy traffic area I can see where it would be just fine.  It will be interesting to see where this will go. 

Майор Хаткевич

We used to launch model rockets under the approach of an airport...Chances of us hitting something? Very low. I don't think we used the larger engines to reach the altitude that they planes were coming in at overhead. But we were 14, and not really thinking about such things. I wonder though, could we have gotten Surface-to-Air Badges if we got a hit?

sarmed1

The just I got from that is nothing against "hobby" use, its when you use the same "hobby" equipment for a more "commercial"-esque purpose.  Like to fly around the park watching and enjoying the plane-no problem.  Like to fly around the hollywood country club and take pictures to sell to the enquirer-not a "hobby" at that point.  It can be the exact same equipmnet, but the intention/use is completely different.

MK
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

THRAWN

Quote from: Eclipse on August 27, 2014, 08:43:13 PM
Not only was this memo produced absent of any coordination with the AMA, its wording is contrary to previous statements made by the FAA. Taken at face value, the FAA's memo-defined stance on aeromodeling would have drastic and far-reaching implications to the hobby as well as the small industry that it supports."

Horse hockey. Guess I missed the part where the AMA became a regulatory body, and they missed the part where the FAA isn't imposing anything that's really all that new. If anything, it puts a dent in the purse of people who had been, literally, flying under the radar and using these things to make money. It's not going to damage or destroy the hobby RC industry.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023