Terrorist Might Use Small Aircraft to Attack US Targets

Started by RADIOMAN015, September 04, 2011, 11:39:23 PM

RADIOMAN015

Just heard on the news about this
- U.S. officials say terrorists could try to use small aircraft in attacks, but have no specific information that such a plot is in the works, according to a new notice distributed by federal officials.

See the news story at:  http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/09/04/terror.planes/
RM

JC004

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on September 04, 2011, 11:42:27 PM
This is not new.  Someone is recycling.

Well with the 10th Anniversary of "9/11" upon us, there's always more security during this period, and it just hasn't been CNN (which was the easiest website to find) but also NBC ran a segment this evening on their news, some others have also.

When someone rents a plane, they have exclusive use of that plane and generally tell the rental folks where they will be going.  I personally think the company that rents the  planes should consider a GPS tracking device and monitor from time to time where the aircraft actually is.  There's plenty of different tracking device types, including SATCOM to track anywhere in the world.
RM     

Flying Pig

- U.S. officials say terrorists could try to use _______________ in attacks, but have no specific information that such a plot is in the works, according to a new notice distributed by federal officials.

Here, I changed it.  Not as catchy as the other headline, but you get the idea. 

Added later
You know....the more I read that, the funnier it gets.  That some federal bureaucrat actually thought this announcement accomplishes anything.

Flying Pig

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 05, 2011, 12:24:12 AM

Well with the 10th Anniversary of "9/11" upon us, there's always more security during this period, and it just hasn't been CNN (which was the easiest website to find) but also NBC ran a segment this evening on their news, some others have also.

When someone rents a plane, they have exclusive use of that plane and generally tell the rental folks where they will be going.  I personally think the company that rents the  planes should consider a GPS tracking device and monitor from time to time where the aircraft actually is.  There's plenty of different tracking device types, including SATCOM to track anywhere in the world.
RM     

And what would that do to stop an attack?  You get to watch it fly into a building on the internet real time?  Because flying isnt expensive enough as it is, now we have to pay for LOJACK.

blackrain

You know they could sow far more terror using a truck or car bomb at a mall. You can stack far more explosive power in a van or truck. Now a small nuke in a plane would be something but if they get one of those a small plane is the least of our worries.

The Shiite Militias in Iraq love rocket attacks with 107mm and a few 122mm and 240mm rockets off improvised launchers thrown into the mix. Any large open air gathering of people would be an inviting target and they never have to breach any close in security.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

ol'fido

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on September 05, 2011, 12:24:12 AM

RM     

"Hi, this is Gloria from OnStar. Your getting a little to close to that nuclear plant so I am going to shut your engine down now. Have a nice day."

"Thank you, OnStar."
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

fyrfitrmedic

...could always make 'em were something red so we can tell they're terrorists  ;D
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Spaceman3750

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on September 05, 2011, 01:17:18 PM
...could always make 'em were something red so we can tell they're terrorists  ;D

I thought red was for wannabes? Maybe orange for terrorists... Wait, don't we wear that too sometimes? Let's let the terrorists have orange and we can change our vest color to purple polka dot. >:D

ol'fido

Well, if they are flying a Cessna at 2000' AGL, they could be nekkid for that matter. I use that spelling "nekkid" for a reason. According to the late humorist, Lewis Grizzard, if you are "naked" it means you don't have no clothes on.

If you are "nekkid", it means you don't have no clothes on and you're up to something.

Happy Labor Day, ya' all.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

PhotogPilot

Quote from: ol'fido on September 05, 2011, 11:42:20 PM
Well, if they are flying a Cessna at 2000' AGL, they could be nekkid for that matter. I use that spelling "nekkid" for a reason. According to the late humorist, Lewis Grizzard, if you are "naked" it means you don't have no clothes on.

If you are "nekkid", it means you don't have no clothes on and you're up to something.

Happy Labor Day, ya' all.

RIP Lewis...."let me tell you about France. Once you've been to one or two art museums, and have been insulted by the head waiter in some over priced restaurant, you've had about enough of France."

N Harmon

"Society is doomed for one very simple reason: it takes dozens of men working months with millions of dollars in materials to build a building, but only one dumbass with a bomb to bring it down."

or in this case, airplane apparently.  ::)
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

spacecommand

Nothing new here, just another generic notice with no specified source.  Why don't we see notices in the news about federal officials warning truck rental agencies (I'm sure they exist, it just doesn't get much press coverage as airplanes do).  It's far more easier for a terrorist to load up the trunk of a car, van, truck with explosives, drive it right into a tunnel and wham.   All of that does not take much to do (and has been done in the past), and no worries about weight calculations, taking flying lessons, getting an airplane, flying in bad weather conditions etc. 

JeffDG

Quote from: spacecommand on September 06, 2011, 06:46:48 PM
Nothing new here, just another generic notice with no specified source.  Why don't we see notices in the news about federal officials warning truck rental agencies (I'm sure they exist, it just doesn't get much press coverage as airplanes do).  It's far more easier for a terrorist to load up the trunk of a car, van, truck with explosives, drive it right into a tunnel and wham.   All of that does not take much to do (and has been done in the past), and no worries about weight calculations, taking flying lessons, getting an airplane, flying in bad weather conditions etc.
Yeah, you can carry more explosives in the cab of a U-Haul than you can in a stripped down 182 flying so far over gross that you can barely nurse it off the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcGv8t_nusg

a2capt

"You can fly a plane?!"

"Why, yes, I can."

"What kind of plane do you fly?"

"Hmm.. lets, see, oh, look- look at that, see that, that is a C-130.. "

"....."

"I Fly a C-150"

"Wow"

Al Sayre

The big problem is that people who make these pronunciations generally have no clue about airplanes in general and even less about small aircraft.  They think that its like a car, - if you can stuff it inside (or tie it on the roof) you can fly with it.  Weight and balance is a completely foreign concept to them.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787