Whats required for cadets to wear the oval ES patch?

Started by xray328, August 21, 2015, 06:44:52 PM

xray328

Total noob to ES here, go easy  :)

From what I can tell it's completing the technician level requirements in the CAPP 213? 

Is there a NCSA that would allow for all that training in one shot? NESA I'm assuming (which course?),  maybe LESA?  Blue Beret?

Does anyone wear the circle patch with the dog anymore?  I see its either or in the 39-1.

Alaric

Quote from: xray328 on August 21, 2015, 06:44:52 PM

From what I can tell it's completing the technician level requirements in the CAPP 213? 

Is there a NCSA that would allow for all that training in one shot? NESA I'm assuming (which course?),  maybe LESA?  Blue Beret?

Does anyone wear the circle patch with the dog anymore?  I see its either or in the 39-1.

GES and 1 ES Qualification (MSA, GTM3, etc)

Some do

xray328

Thank you sir.  Sounds like any of the above would meet those requirements.

winterg

There is no patch for the BDUs for the Technician ESO. The two ES patches (plane and BirdDog) are for anyone who has at least one ES qualification other than GES.

Some of my uniforms have the plane, some have the BirdDog.  I see both fairly regularly.

[Edit: Alric beat me to it. ]

Al Sayre

Just to be clear, the two requirements for both patches are the same. Complete the General Emergency Services qualification AND 1 additional Emergency Services qualification such as UDF, MSA, MRO, Mission Scanner etc. (NOTE: ICS courses are NOT considered an ES Qualification).  See CAPR 35-6 for the full information.

It's the wearer's choice which patch they want to put on their uniform.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

xray328

Ok thanks. I'm trying to encourage our cadets to get ES training. I was hoping if I got my two cadets the patch it might spark an interest. Not trying to just add patches, thought I'd clarify that.

winterg

For cadets, the posibility of adding a patch or bling  that other cadets don't have can be a strong incentive to get them involved in an aspect of the program. Napoleon said, "With such baubles, men are led."  Or something like that. We can hope that they take a genuine interest in ES after they get their feet wet. But don't feel bad about dangling the patch in front of them if they complete an ES specialty.

Storm Chaser

Completing a Technician Rating in ES earns you the Basic ES Qualification Badge, which has nothing to do with the ES Patch. As was mentioned on a previous post, GES plus another qualification (GTMe, UDF, MSA, MRO, etc.) is all needed to earn the ES Patch.

Yes, all of these NCSAs can lead to completing one or more qualifications.

Some people do. Both the round dog patch or the oval airplane patch are equivalent and members can choose which one to wear, at their discretion.

One thing to keep in mind is that the ES Patch, just like the Ground Team Badges, IC Badges, Aeronautical Ratings, and ES Qualification Badges, require a separate approval in Ops Quals.

JC004

The red ES badge, which is separate, can only be worn on the service uniforms.  It takes a cadet at least a year to earn the metal badge. 

The Comm badge is the only one that cadets can earn which they can wear as a patch, or as a metal badge.  That takes at least half a year.

Spam

"A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon"
- Napoleon, 15 July 1815, to the captain of HMS Bellerophon, on being carried into exile en route to St. Helena.

A better one, and less crass in my opinion but no less true in its way, is his statement, "A man does not have himself killed for a half-pence a day or for a petty distinction. You must speak to the soul in order to electrify him".

V/R,
Spam

Edk

Quote from: winterg on August 21, 2015, 07:26:59 PM
For cadets, the posibility of adding a patch or bling  that other cadets don't have can be a strong incentive to get them involved in an aspect of the program. Napoleon said, "With such baubles, men are led."  Or something like that. We can hope that they take a genuine interest in ES after they get their feet wet. But don't feel bad about dangling the patch in front of them if they complete an ES specialty.

Don't think twice about it. I was DoD Senior Level equal to a Lt Col, did 33 years.. I working a combatant command, during a major campaign in 2002, had a conversation with a navy type, who was counting off the months and days when he would be in theater before he could qualify for the GWOT medal, and that would give him his third or fourth row.  Anyone who does not count ribbons or rows in my opinion is either an under-achiever or being disingenuous. 
Your rack is your resume, never apologize for building your rack. CAP / USAF AUX in many way mirrors the military many good things happen, also screwups too!!
Ed

almostspaatz

Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 21, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Some people do. Both the round dog patch or the oval airplane patch are equivalent and members can choose which one to wear, at their discretion.

Except the dog patch looks better.... >:D
C/Maj Steve Garrett

THRAWN

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 18, 2015, 03:12:19 AM
Quote from: Storm Chaser on August 21, 2015, 09:53:18 PM

Except the dog patch looks better.... >:D

Better than the plane? You need new glasses.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

almostspaatz

That plane was one of the worst SAR platforms IMHO...
C/Maj Steve Garrett

Chappie

I have both patches for my collection...but wear the oval/plane on my BDUs.   Like the look of it better.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

jeders

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 18, 2015, 07:01:02 PM

That may be, but it's a better looking patch.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

PHall

Quote from: almostspaatz on December 18, 2015, 07:01:02 PM

Seemed to work okay for me. And I have a bunch of hours as an Observer in the back seat of a T-34.

almostspaatz

Quote from: Chappie on December 18, 2015, 08:21:18 PM
I have both patches for my collection...but wear the oval/plane on my BDUs.   Like the look of it better.

Since we can wear either it doesn't matter...they are both pretty cool its just preference

In our squadron we like to see who can convince the new cadets doing ES training to take one patch over the other (we are split about 50/50 plane/dog, with our ES personnel)...

"So after you complete another qual besides GES you can wear the ES patch...now obviously you will want to go with the one I am wearing instead of Cadet Whatshisname over there, since mine is way cooler"
C/Maj Steve Garrett