What states require fire extinguishers in CAP vans?

Started by Holding Pattern, April 25, 2018, 05:54:10 PM

Holding Pattern

In one of my more extreme cases of insomnia, I read the SUI KB documents.

2 things caught my eye:
1. Discrepancy is spelled wrong repeatedly in the KB.
2. I don't know how to check my state laws for the following issue (part c):

THRAWN

Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 25, 2018, 05:54:10 PM
In one of my more extreme cases of insomnia, I read the SUI KB documents.

2 things caught my eye:
1. Discrepancy is spelled wrong repeatedly in the KB.
2. I don't know how to check my state laws for the following issue (part c):

Call the DMV.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Sadly, calling the DMV means that some random person will give me advice that may or may not be accurate. I'd prefer to know the correct method of researching the state laws.

THRAWN

Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 25, 2018, 06:07:03 PM
Sadly, calling the DMV means that some random person will give me advice that may or may not be accurate. I'd prefer to know the correct method of researching the state laws.

So call a cop, a fire marshal, any representative of the state. Want to research state laws? They're all online. Identify your state motor vehicle laws and open the book.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: THRAWN on April 25, 2018, 06:11:35 PM
Quote from: Holding Pattern on April 25, 2018, 06:07:03 PM

So call a cop, a fire marshal, any representative of the state. Want to research state laws? They're all online. Identify your state motor vehicle laws and open the book.

My initial searches through state law are giving me rules on logging trucks, dump trucks, assistance vans, and other various items... but if there is no law I'm going to have trouble finding a negative.

Spam

Suggest your friendly Wing Legal Officer would be the person to ask.

As lawyers presumably licensed in your state, they'd have the expertise to look it up, they may be happy to be contributing to the ES mission in a small but significant way, and this sort of thing is why they've stepped forward to help as legal officers.

R/s
Spam

THRAWN

Quote from: Spam on April 25, 2018, 06:17:38 PM

As lawyers presumably licensed in your state, they'd have the expertise to look it up, they may be happy to be contributing to the ES mission in a small but significant way, and this sort of thing is why they've stepped forward to help as legal officers.

R/s
Spam

Or the wing LG, or the wing Lo or whatever they are calling themselves this FY...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

EMT-83

Quote from: THRAWN on April 25, 2018, 06:21:12 PM
Or the wing LG, or the wing Lo or whatever they are calling themselves this FY...

That's crazy talk, with all the anonymous folks available right here on the interwebs.

arajca

Quote from: THRAWN on April 25, 2018, 06:21:12 PM
Quote from: Spam on April 25, 2018, 06:17:38 PM

R/s
Spam

More correctly, your wing transportation officer.

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on April 25, 2018, 06:42:38 PM
More correctly, your wing transportation officer.

+1 They are the one responsible for equipping the vehicles, not a local unit, and also for making the decision
regarding removing anything.

Moreover, whomever is the unit PIC, ought to already know that as a matter of course when they
do their portion of the SUI.

"That Others May Zoom"

etodd

What kind of paperwork is in your CAP van? What does the driver have to use?

In our Wing there is a book with checklists the driver uses everyday. From checking oil, tires and much more. Checkboxes for all required equipment.

Does your Wing do this? Is the fire extinguisher on the checklist? Whoever wrote the checklist and had it approved through Wing would have known, or should have. ;)

"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

arajca

Quote from: etodd on April 27, 2018, 03:40:08 AM
What kind of paperwork is in your CAP van? What does the driver have to use?

In our Wing there is a book with checklists the driver uses everyday. From checking oil, tires and much more. Checkboxes for all required equipment.

Does your Wing do this? Is the fire extinguisher on the checklist? Whoever wrote the checklist and had it approved through Wing would have known, or should have. ;)
1. Registration, Ins, CAPF 73, Tax Exempt letter, maintenance records
2. CAPF 73. Hopefully the driver should never have to use the registration and insurance.
3. We use the CAPF 73, which is SUPPOSED to be filled out each time the vehicle is used.
4. Fire extinguisher is not.
5. We used to have a separate usage log that a long ago former wing transportation officer implemented. Its use became a matter of "we have to fill the form out because we have the form" despite the only use it had at wing was "Did the unit fill out the form". When I took over Logistics, the form went away.

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

arajca

etodd

Letter C in the Supplemental Box:  If its not required by state law then it MUST BE REMOVED????

Can anyone give me a good reason why Wing doesn't think having EXTRA safety gear is a good thing?

Why be minimalist?  Imagine a Cadet getting hurt in a van fire. The parents' lawyer discovers the van originally had a fire extinguisher, but the Wing demanded its removal.

Hmmmmm.

Eclipse

Fire extinguishers become projectiles when improperly mounted, need to be maintained which is not free,  and far too
often were / are found damaged rolling around on the floor in COVs.

Their value in a CAP context is also debatable in the same way as Nomex in COAs.

Bottom line they are a hassle, a frequent CI ding, and not worth the trouble.

"That Others May Zoom"

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on April 28, 2018, 11:59:05 PM

Letter C in the Supplemental Box:  If its not required by state law then it MUST BE REMOVED????

Can anyone give me a good reason why Wing doesn't think having EXTRA safety gear is a good thing?

Why be minimalist?  Imagine a Cadet getting hurt in a van fire. The parents' lawyer discovers the van originally had a fire extinguisher, but the Wing demanded its removal.

Hmmmmm.
Is that a local unit form to fill out or does Wing handle this? If local, why is the above comment regards Wing being responsible relevant? (Not yours - another poster?)

etodd

Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2018, 12:52:22 AM
Fire extinguishers become projectiles when improperly mounted, need to be maintained which is not free,  and far too

Their value in a CAP context is also debatable in the same way as Nomex in COAs.

So in my lawsuit example above, you are saying the CAP/AF lawyers would say the fire extinguisher was a hassle and not worth the trouble?  >:D

No need to reply. I understand and agree. I just think its funny. I've been involved in thousands of hours of legal depositions and have seen/heard it all.

OldGuy

Quote from: etodd on April 29, 2018, 01:07:14 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on April 29, 2018, 12:52:22 AM

So in my lawsuit example above, you are saying the CAP/AF lawyers would say the fire extinguisher was a hassle and not worth the trouble?  >:D

No need to reply. I understand and agree. I just think its funny. I've been involved in thousands of hours of legal depositions and have seen/heard it all.

See https://www.responsibleag.org/compliance-assistance-library/Fire_Extinguishers,_Commercial_Motor_Vehicles-20140922.pdf

Think what an attorney might do with that?

Eclipse

?

COVs aren't commercial carriers, don't transport haz mat, nor "power units".

"That Others May Zoom"