Squadron Operating Instructions (OIs)

Started by Pylon, August 23, 2005, 02:27:47 AM

Pylon

I've recently been given charge over a squadron of cadets in an area adjacent to where I live.  The unit has been in considerable disrepair and neglect for sometime, and the Group sent me there to turn it around, make it productive and worthwhile for the cadets, and find and train a replacement DCC (just a small task to do by yourself, right?)

One of things I need to do is write a new Squadron OI.  From scratch.  The old OI had nothing in it but a bad "demerit" system for how to punish various infractions and that was about it.  There's nothing I'd want to salvage from it.

I'm looking for ideas on what areas I should be covering in my OI.  I know that I want to list out my expectations as far as attendance, military bearing, and list out the standard monthly uniform schedule.    I'm also including a positive point-earning system towards a Cadet Airman of the Quarter program.  What other things should I be including?

Does anybody have their unit's OI (often referred to by the antiquated term SOP, or Standard Operating Procedure) they'd be willing to share?   Many thanks in advance.  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

BlueLakes1

My unit doesn't have any additional SOP/SOG/OIs, but here are some from another local unit.

http://inwg.cap.gov/falcon/sop/sopindex.htm
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

MIKE

Quote from: MCreedKY214 on August 23, 2005, 02:33:48 AM
My unit doesn't have any additional SOP/SOG/OIs, but here are some from another local unit.

Quote from: FCSOP 005 ATTENDANCE1)      A suspension from 1 week's meetings, training, or other activities

Suspending someone from regular meetings for lack of attendance seems counterintuitive to me.  ???
Mike Johnston

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Pylon on August 23, 2005, 02:27:47 AM
I've recently been given charge over a squadron of cadets in an area adjacent to where I live.  The unit has been in considerable disrepair and neglect for sometime, and the Group sent me there to turn it around, make it productive and worthwhile for the cadets, and find and train a replacement DCC (just a small task to do by yourself, right?)

One of things I need to do is write a new Squadron OI.  From scratch.  The old OI had nothing in it but a bad "demerit" system for how to punish various infractions and that was about it.  There's nothing I'd want to salvage from it.

I'm looking for ideas on what areas I should be covering in my OI.  I know that I want to list out my expectations as far as attendance, military bearing, and list out the standard monthly uniform schedule.    I'm also including a positive point-earning system towards a Cadet Airman of the Quarter program.  What other things should I be including?

Does anybody have their unit's OI (often referred to by the antiquated term SOP, or Standard Operating Procedure) they'd be willing to share?   Many thanks in advance.  :)

Demerit and punishment system.  Jeez, that is a sure way to encourage membership growth and retention.  "Hey come join us and we'll punish you."

I agree, scrap the whole thing and start anew.  You know the whole drill;  set attainable goals for them based upon the CAP Cadet Program.  Reward them along the way for achievements;  motivate and encourage them. 

Sorry that I don't have any OI's to reference for you, all I can provide is suggestions and I'll keep my eyes out for anything that may float by.

-CC
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Pylon

Quote from: MIKE on August 23, 2005, 02:52:31 AM
Quote from: MCreedKY214 on August 23, 2005, 02:33:48 AM

Quote from: FCSOP 005 ATTENDANCE1)      A suspension from 1 week's meetings, training, or other activities

Suspending someone from regular meetings for lack of attendance seems counterintuitive to me.  ???

It does to me as well.  That was something that was in my "new" unit's old OI.  I don't like it one bit and I think it's just a lack of leadership skill to not find out why the member isn't attending and try to address that instead.

As an alternative method, I'm using a positive points system to award cadets points for attending weekly meetings, and an extra point or two if they arrived to that meeting on time.  If cadets have something to work for (such as Cadet Airman of the Quarter, with tangiable rewards on the line), they will probably be more likely to want to show up and be on-time.  At least, IMHO.

Greg

I'm currently working on writing my unit's Cadet Programs OI, if you want i'll send it to you when I'm done.
C/Maj Greg(ory) Boyajian, CAP
Air Victory Museum Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: Greg on August 24, 2005, 03:25:10 AM
I'm currently working on writing my unit's Cadet Programs OI, if you want i'll send it to you when I'm done.

That'd be cool.  Thanks.  :)

Does anybody else have any OIs from their units or Cadet Programs side they'd like to share?

Schmidty06

I believe that my squadron has a decent SOP, however it's not online in any way, shape or form.  I'll see what I can do for you, though.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Schmidty06 on August 25, 2005, 01:20:16 AM
I believe that my squadron has a decent SOP, however it's not online in any way, shape or form.  I'll see what I can do for you, though.

The cadet aspect of my composite squadron needs help... can we revisit this area? Anyone got anything online I can take a look at?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

jimmydeanno

I don't know exactly what parts you're looking for, but I found this one online...

http://www.vawg.cap.gov/langley/lcsp-01.pdf

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

A point system sounds fair.  How about sorta-kinda mimicking the Reserve point system?  1 point for each 2 hours of participation, provided that the participation is satisfactory and in proper uniform?

The drawback would seem to be setting up a fair and consistent accounting system for the points, not so much for meetings, but for activity outside the squadron, such as field trips and missions.

Another former CAP officer

jimmydeanno

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 14, 2007, 01:37:57 PM
A point system sounds fair.  How about sorta-kinda mimicking the Reserve point system?  1 point for each 2 hours of participation, provided that the participation is satisfactory and in proper uniform?

The drawback would seem to be setting up a fair and consistent accounting system for the points, not so much for meetings, but for activity outside the squadron, such as field trips and missions.

[redirect]My old squadron WIWAC had a Cadet of the Month(COM) program.  A specific cadet (usually C/Sgt (That's not a typo) -> C/TSgt) was given the responsibility of "running" the program.  Everything a cadet did was recorded.  Everything was assigned a "point" value.  For instance and example;

1. If you scored a 90% or better on a test, you got 20 points.
2. If you got an 80% to 89% you got 10 points.
3. If you passed you got 5 points. 
4. If you showed up for an activity, you got 10 points.
5. If you have a perfect uniform inspection you got 10 points.
6. If you showed up for a weekly meeting, you got 10 points.
7. If your CAPF 50 "score" was above a certain level, you got X points...etc.
8. Get a new ES qual...X points...

So everything was recorded, the person with the most points at the end of the month was awarded the COM (we had a cord too  8) )  This then transpired into the Cadet of the Year (COY) (this wasn't point based, it was deliberated among the cadet programs staff and the Sq CC so they could look at attitude and such), and to be in the running for COY you had to be a COM at least once during that year.  No chord for that, but if the person was a C/NCO we'd get the AFSA Outstanding Cadet NCO award if the person was a C/Officer they'd get the AFA Outstanding Cadet Award. (We prayed we were a C/NCO when we got it, the AFA award in our opinion was hideous.)
[/redirect]

So I guess if I were putting a COM or COY portion in the Cadet OI, I wouldn't put the details of the program in the OI, just that we had one and to see how it was run, see another pub. Something to the effect of "The squadron has implemented a Cadet of the Month program to award those individuals who consistently demonstrate their dedication to the CAP Cadet Program.  This program is run by the Cadet of the Month NCO, for details about the program, please refer to Squadron Pamphlet 52-X."  That way you can change the details of the program without having to publish a new OI every time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt Rivera

Thank you everyone for sharing... Been having some issues in the cadet aspect of our squadron and trying to find ways to help facilitate things going better. Any and all suggestions are helpful.

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org