Squadron names vs numbers

Started by flyguy06, December 12, 2007, 09:47:28 PM

flyguy06

oh, I get it. Cause I mentioned Ben O. Davis. I didnt really know that was an actual squadron. I was just using a name for an example and his stood out in my mind.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 04:09:57 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2007, 03:17:25 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 12:33:29 AMA unit named after a person such as the Ben O. Davis Cadet Squadron is a differant thing altogether/

That squadron closed down too.  I think anyway.  Or did it turn into a school thing.

Yeah, all the inner city squadrons in DC fell apart, except for the one on Bolling AFB, but still, they never seemed to have quality leadership there either.  Well, this one guy, but he went up to wing.  Then there was the lady who stole all the squadron money....

Oooooook. what does an inner city unit have to do with my post? I was talking about Squadron names versus numbers.

Yes, because you mentioned Benjamin O. Davis Squadron, which was one of the inner city squadrons in DC that failed, thus leaving only one.  Which, was my point about DC only having one squadron inside the city limits.  But then, I thought for a second that maybe the B.O. Davis squadron may have turned into on of the school things.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 02:53:07 AM
All 3 of the squadrons I've been a member of have all been named after the city or county.

Jacksonville Composite Squadron
Fairfax Composite Squadron
Mount Vernon Composite Squadron

In National Capital Wing, all of the Virginia and Maryland located squadrons followed suit.  Only in DC did they stray from this standard.  Tuskegee and Challenger Squadrons.  But of course, there is now only one squadron left in DC propper.  Surprised NATCAP wing didn't get sucked into MD and VA wings.

You mean there is a CAP Colonel in command of one (maybe two)  Squadron(s)?
Reminds me of Clear AFS

And btw: my unit is GLR-IL-328
Our official name is: 328th Composite Squadron
On all correspondance and in conversation we are the 328th CSQ
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Cecil DP

Actually, when I was with HQ MAWG, we used to refer to RIWG as the "RI Group", But we did have a very good working relationship with them and COL Bryan "Thor" Cooper
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyguy06

Cecil DP

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jb512

The RM has never seemed to have a problem with it for their units.  These days a quick google search will give you all the info you need with just the numbers.  Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

RiverAux

Very few do not use geographical names.  Check out the organization table in a capwatch download.  Only about 50 use numbers (105th Composite Squadron, etc.).   Without counting them up exactly, I'd estimate that 10% or less of squadrons use people's names. 

riffraff

Quote from: jaybird512 on December 14, 2007, 10:44:41 PM
Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

I'd prefer not to see anything using "SS" as a suffix. I know it implies Senior Squadron but it certainly conjures up images of those other unsavory SS guys-- the WW2 German type. I think it might be a bit of a PR problem if one starts rambling on about the virtues of the 12th SS up in Bumpkinville  :o

Gunner C

Quote from: riffraff on December 15, 2007, 02:07:54 AM
Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

I'd prefer not to see anything using "SS" as a suffix. I know it implies Senior Squadron but it certainly conjures up images of those other unsavory SS guys-- the WW2 German type. I think it might be a bit of a PR problem if one starts rambling on about the virtues of the 12th SS up in Bumpkinville  :o

How about renaming them "XXX Operations Squadron" or something along those lines?  Perhaps "XXX Emergency Services Squadron"? (replace XXX with charter number)

SarDragon

Quote from: Gunner C on December 15, 2007, 02:26:01 AM

How about renaming them "XXX Operations Squadron" or something along those lines?  Perhaps "XXX Emergency Services Squadron"? (replace XXX with charter number)

Nope. They did away with functional unit names some time ago, and the reg specifically prohibits that style of name. WIWAC, there were many units like Umpteenth Comm Sq, or Doodlieville Aeromedical Sq.

Quote from: CAPR 20-35. How to Obtain Charters for New Units. ... The request must include:

c. A proposed name for the unit. Unit names must include the following elements:

1) Identifying prefix - a short identifier, preferably associated with location (example: Shamrock, Dayton, Hot Springs, Midville, etc.). DO NOT use names such as "Black Sheep," "Flying Tigers," etc., or terms descriptive of major functions such as "Communications," "Jeep," or "Rescue," etc.

2) Type of unit (group, cadet squadron, senior squadron, composite squadron, or flight).

3) If the unit is to be named for an individual, the unit must obtain the individual's permission prior to submitting the charter application. If the individual is deceased, permission will be obtained from the nearest living relative. A statement will be typed on the reverse side of the CAPF 27 indicating that permission has been obtained.

4) In addition to the above, the sponsoring organization (if applicable) and a numerical suffix (if needed because of similarity of names) are permitted. Examples of acceptable names are: "Red Oak Composite Squadron," "Midvale Flight," "Miami Senior Squadron No. 2," "Manhattan Group IV," and "Bay City Optimist Cadet Squadron." NOTE: National Headquarters will edit names that are too long and/or contain undesirable elements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Dave,

National has ignored that regulation for so long it is not even worth brining it up. :)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jb512

Geeze... That hasn't been used in 70 years.