Main Menu

MIKE the moderator

Started by Capt Rivera, May 12, 2007, 08:05:01 PM

shorning

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 11:54:19 PM
Well I'm glad you feel you can speak for everyone here and the owners...

Rhetorical question, but what's going on in your personal life that is causing you to vent here?  Something has got your shorts in a bunch and you're using this as your outlet.  The affect is that you're getting the "conflict" you strive for, even if it didn't originate here.  Personally, I think your energy is misdirected.

Trust me, if the mods or admin had felt the need to chime in, they would have.  Instead, they are letting the community handle it for now.  "Self moderation" is a lot better than totalitarianism.

My recommendation is that you:

1) Review the Membership Code of Conduct.  Heck, everyone could benefit from a glance at it.  How many people have ever read it?  Just because one can access this forum, does not give one the right to post anything they want.

2) Take a break from the forum for a while.   If it's getting you that riled up, you might want to look at your priorities.  Maybe turn off the computer and get outside for a while.  Go for a run, take a scenic drive, just get outside.  I've heard that there is life beyond the internet (crazy, I know!).

3)  Keep in mind that you're never as anonymous as you think.

Smokey

Lt Rivera,

Folks here have been very tolerent of your comments.  Please try to conduct yourself in the same manner.   We are after all, the CIVIL Air Patrol. 
Mature discussion is welcomed.  We may get heated, but "old timers" carry weight here because they have conducted themselves in a worthy manner, even in adversarial situations. Making your point in a skillful manner without attacks only goes to support your position. Those whose arguement is without merit often resort to mud slinging, name calling etc.

Trust me, a mature calm approach will garner more support.  So, with all due respect...take a chill pill.  We will welcome your well reasoned opinion even if we don't agree with it.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

JohnKachenmeister

Lieutenant Rivera:

Sir, I did not read your comments in the locked thread.  I offer this comment to you only as advice, one officer to another.

Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

Just as in a club, when an officer's conduct enters into an area where gentlemen find it reproachful, you will be so informed.  Either by other officers, as has happened here, or by Mike, the Club Manager.

So, remember the Golden Rule of Being an Officer:  "All of the brothers are valiant, and all of the sisters are virtuous."

Now pay your tab, go home and think about it, and come back when you've calmed down.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 14, 2007, 02:11:23 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

ha.....are you buying the first round?
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Buy?  What ees thees word "Buy?"  I don' speek so good Eenglish!
Another former CAP officer

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 14, 2007, 04:45:07 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

mikey...
Your experience may have been more pleasurable than mine; but I've found e-beer to be not only less filling, but also to possess less taste than the real thing.  Sooo, when it comes to sharing the Murphy's/Guinness/Moosehead/Heineken/etc., *that's* when I hope the virtual crosses to the real!!  ;D

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 14, 2007, 04:31:54 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 14, 2007, 04:45:07 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

mikey...
Your experience may have been more pleasurable than mine; but I've found e-beer to be not only less filling, but also to possess less taste than the real thing.  Sooo, when it comes to sharing the Murphy's/Guinness/Moosehead/Heineken/etc., *that's* when I hope the virtual crosses to the real!!  ;D

V/R,

I'll take one of each please.  So you're saying that these great beers would taste like Bud light?!  BLAST!   :'(

mikeylikey

^^ Worse than that.....WARM Bud Light!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Hmmm....water recycled....through a horse. LOL
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pylon

Mike did the right thing.  If I wasn't away at the McGuire Air Expo, I would have locked such a thread.

I could go into lengthy detail, but what NIN posted above matches my sentiments.  To add to it, when you don't act like adults and professionals, I see no reason to let you all carry on with your antics.

Nobody argues like this around the water cooler at their office or squadron, and people don't talk to each other like this when discussing issues of a professional nature.  So don't expect just because this is an internet forum that we're going to give you all a free pass to talk to others however you wish.  I don't care if you're new to the boards, new to CAP, or you've been around CAPTalk or Civil Air Patrol since the dawn of time.    You're all bound by our Code of Conduct, though I wish we could have people here who were more professional that we wouldn't need to remind adults to behave like such.

If you have any such future issues with moderator actions, send me or Jerry a message directly.  Since this thread has turned into another fine example of the problems we get to deal with, I'm locking this one, too.

Knock it off, or we'll knock it off for you. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP