Main Menu

MIKE the moderator

Started by Capt Rivera, May 12, 2007, 08:05:01 PM

Capt Rivera

Respectfully, I would like to know EXACTLY why you locked the topic: Help on Sr Program?

http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=1491.0

Other moderators feel free to comment on weather you would have or not and why?

Members if the forum is for the community.... and the issues I brought up affects the CAP community do you feel at this point it should have been locked? why or why not?

[And the possibility that it MIGHT get out of control is NOT a good reason, something tells me no one here is enlightened so much that they know exactly what will happen and when.]
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Quote from: riveraj on May 12, 2007, 08:05:01 PM
Respectfully, I would like to know EXACTLY why you locked the topic: Help on Sr Program?

Members if the forum is for the community.... and the issues I brought up affects the CAP community do you feel at this point it should have been locked? why or why not?

[And the possibility that it MIGHT get out of control is NOT a good reason, something tells me no one here is enlightened so much that they know exactly what will happen and when.]

He locked it because your behavior was uncalled for, unprofessional, and immature. There is a code of conduct here. Personal attacks and threats violate this code. You were WAY out of line. There is a proper way to disagree and still facilitate discussion without being offensive. You're new on here and perhaps you need a little more time reading rather than posting to see what is acceptable behavior and what is not. While you are at it, you might want to learn how to spell check your posts as well. If you have to ask why the thread was locked then perhaps you don't belong on here.

FOR the record, DNALL is liked and respected by many on here. Myself being one of them.

LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Major Carrales

DNALL and I have, at times over various forums, had a difference of opinion that sometimes has gone to the point of HEATED DISCUSSION.  However...

He is a man of extreme character who, when my unit needed help, came through for us.  This showed me that he is also a man of action willing to help out even distant units.  He is not limited to merely making profound empty statements; but is a man with strong opinions about CAP.  In many ways, he is much like myself...although our visions for CAP are a bit different.

I regret that he did not attend the WING conference...I would have like to have spoken to him in person.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Capt Rivera

Quote from: LtCol White on May 13, 2007, 03:03:57 AM

He locked it because your behavior was uncalled for, unprofessional, and immature. There is a code of conduct here. Personal attacks and threats violate this code. You were WAY out of line. There is a proper way to disagree and still facilitate discussion without being offensive. You're new on here and perhaps you need a little more time reading rather than posting to see what is acceptable behavior and what is not. While you are at it, you might want to learn how to spell check your posts as well. If you have to ask why the thread was locked then perhaps you don't belong on here.

FOR the record, DNALL is liked and respected by many on here. Myself being one of them.

1) My time on the board means nothing. I'm not new to CAP or the military.
2)How long he's on means nothing
3) The fact that you like him is irrelevant
4) many people dislike him, - proven in that many have contacted me in agreement
5)you defend him and make no valid points. you call me names, criticize my spelling and suggest I don't belong here. You completely ignore what he is quoted saying.
By ignoring the point of the original post and not being able to prove the facts i presented wrong or what i said was wrong.... you've accomplished nothing.
6) you want to say maybe i should handle issues with more tact? maybe, but i don't believe someone of his displayed caliber deserves that so it wont be given. I respect those worthy of it and the 2 points I commented on display that he deserves none.

come back and talk to me when you have something worth me listening to.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

Capt Rivera

Quote from: Major Carrales on May 13, 2007, 03:34:28 AM
DNALL and I have, at times over various forums, had a difference of opinion that sometimes has gone to the point of HEATED DISCUSSION.  However...

He is a man of extreme character who, when my unit needed help, came through for us.  This showed me that he is also a man of action willing to help out even distant units. He is not limited to merely making profound empty statements; but is a man with strong opinions about CAP.  In many ways, he is much like myself...although our visions for CAP are a bit different.

I regret that he did not attend the WING conference...I would have like to have spoken to him in person.

I'm glad he does more then make empty statements. It's great he helped your squadron.

The white house was built by slaves. Their masters probably gave the government a good deal on the labor.

My point? Just because he acts on some things dose not make him a good man or a man of great character & for sure not a pattern for cadets to fallow.

Are you saying that the things I pointed out are wrong or irrelevant?

I quoted him accurately, and made my points. I said that what he is representing has no place in CAP. Do you feel that it does?

Apparently at least one person thinks that my willingness to open eyes is worthy of not belonging to this group... is it not a greater crime for someone with closed eyes to be a leader in CAP?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

CAP428

I am no moderator, but I read over the thread you linked to and I can provide several, specific reasons why it was (and should be) locked.

I quote the Membership Code of Conduct, found on the Announcements and Feedback board:

Quote from: Membership Code of Conduct
Code of Conduct

The  discussion boards are intended to be an open community where all Civil Air Patrol members can participate freely.  However, keep in mind that a certain level of professionalism must be maintained on the discussion board.  Therefore, we have a code of conduct which all members will adhere to.

Members will refrain from using profanities, coarse language, or sexually based or suggestive materials.  Members will neither knowingly post links to web pages that contain these materials.

Members will not engage in libel, slander, name-calling, or personal attacks.  Members will not post any hateful material about any person, unit, or organization.  There is a line between leadership examples and scenarios, or having constructive discussions about problems without naming names, and attacking others outright.  Personal threats are also strictly prohibited.

All members will respect the opinion and dignity of other members, whether or not they may be present.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and certainly discourse on varying opinions is excellent. However, members will not attack others based on their opinions and beliefs, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Members violating the code of conduct may be subject to any number of sanctions, including but not limited to: warnings, temporary suspension of posting privileges or account, temporary restrictions from certain forums, public admonition, alteration of post count and/or user rank, account deletion, and permanant ban from the discussion boards.

Members are solely responsible for the content of their own posts and hereby release the discussion board, its administrators, moderators, staff, superiors, subordinates, affiliates, officers, employees, workers, family members, executors, and other associated persons from any liability and hold them harmless from any claim or demand, regardless.

The bolded text was emphasized by me, because that is where most of the evidence can be found to support the locking of the thread.

Might I also mention that some of these points apply simultaneously for the posts of both you, riveraj as well as DNall.

I won't try to explain every single reason why it was locked, but I can provide a few reasons/examples:

First of all, the first point in the Code of Conduct states that a certain level of professionalism must be maintained.  I don't believe there is any way anybody could argue that your posts maintained any sort of level of professionalism.  You made off-topic attacks against DNall's character which were unwarranted.  I have no idea what DNall's character is like, but it doesn't even matter on this board, so bringing that up in a discussion is off-topic and unprofessional.

The second point is that the Code of Contact prohibits posting sexually based material.  While your post was not outrageously inappropriate, I don't really see how your inclusion of a description of the conditions of and attacks against slaves in the 19th century helped the discussion at all.

The last point I will make regarding your posts deals with the point in the Code of Conduct which states that all members will respect the opinion and dignity of others.  Because you openly admitted to disrespecting DNall, your post was automatically in violation of this point and therefore could warrant a locked thread.

It is my opinion that a portion of DNall's post(s) were also questionable on this point.  I am not sure his "anonymous" descriptions of some members of his squadron respected the dignity of those persons, and I don't think the fact that he would be on active duty and therefore fairly immune from them "slapping him" around really justifies such descriptions of people.  Everybody has feelings and I believe his extensive descriptions of the members were over the line, but it is the opinion of the moderators, not mine, that really matters on that issue.

I am not trying to stir things up here, I am simply answering your direct question as to why the thread was locked.

As with everything, discussions are a two-way street with no party being perfectly right and no party being completely in the wrong.  I think multiple sides in that discussion could have handled it differently.

I will not be surprised if this is locked as well, but that is my answer, riveraj.

**Note:  To riveraj and anyone else:  I am not interested in arguing the above points.  It is my answer to your question and will remain so.  I will not argue over any portion of it.  I will only respond again if another direct question is raised.  Any further discussion about my points will be read, but not responded to by me.  I wrote this as something to be read and thought about, not to be picked apart and argued about.

NEBoom

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM

Excuse me?

You want to criticize DNALL for being a poor example for Cadets, and yet this is how you talk to a Lt Col?  :o

Man... ::)
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

JC004

CadetProgramGuy

4) many people dislike him, - proven in that many have contacted me in agreement
5)you defend him and make no valid points. you call me names, criticize my spelling and suggest I don't belong here. You completely ignore what he is quoted saying.
By ignoring the point of the original post and not being able to prove the facts i presented wrong or what i said was wrong.... you've accomplished nothing.
6) you want to say maybe i should handle issues with more tact? maybe, but i don't believe someone of his displayed caliber deserves that so it wont be given. I respect those worthy of it and the 2 points I commented on display that he deserves none.

I don't know you, I don't care to know you, but your actions are on the verge of suspension, according to the Code of Conduct.

lordmonar

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM1) My time on the board means nothing. I'm not new to CAP or the military.

Yes it does....you got to be around a while before you can start attacking the old guys.

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM2)How long he's on means nothing

Again...yes it does

Then why did you bring it up?

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM4) many people dislike him, - proven in that many have contacted me in agreement

I thought that was irrelevant.  A lot of people may "dislike" DNall.  I am on of them....by dislike...I mean that I disagree with his politics, his vision for CAP and some of his ideas of leadership style.  But....I still respect him.  I would shake his hand if I ever met him, I would work with him on anything related to CAP and I certainly would not attack him in the manner that you did.  Even if the Pope himself E-mailed you that he disliked DNall, it still does not give you the right to be so disrespectful.

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM5)you defend him and make no valid points. you call me names, criticize my spelling and suggest I don't belong here. You completely ignore what he is quoted saying.

You took most of what he said out of context and you were disrespectful.  I can't see anywhere that Lt Col White called you a name....are you maybe thinking about someone else?  Lt Col White may have accomplished nothing...but he was trying to educate you on how to make posts and present arguments on this and other forums.  That he failed is as much if not more your fault. 

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AM6)you want to say maybe i should handle issues with more tact? maybe, but i don't believe someone of his displayed caliber deserves that so it wont be given. I respect those worthy of it and the 2 points I commented on display that he deserves none.

Well opinions are like butts....we all got one and they all stink.  Disrespect breeds disrespect.  Even in war you must respect your enemy.  Take a few minutes to think about that.

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 03:51:15 AMcome back and talk to me when you have something worth me listening to.

And the final and most adult sort of comment you could have made. :D  If you want us to take you seriously...you have to take us seriously.  Obviously you are not capable of that.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eagle400

If I were a mod, I'd lock this thread.  It serves no constructive purpose.  It's not even living up to its name.  If it was, everyone would be talking about MIKE rather than riveraj.   

There are better things to talk about than the conduct of a person who has highly embarassed himself.  The last thing riveraj needs to do is bring more attention to himself.  Hopefully, he is reflecting on his conduct so he can be a better member of this online community.

So let's just leave him alone and let this thread die out, unless there's some way of saving it from being locked (i.e. talking about something positive that has to do with the actual name of the topic).   

LtCol White

Quote from: LtCol White on May 13, 2007, 03:03:57 AM

And as stated above you prove my point.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

NIN

OK, I read thru that thread (and won't get that 5 minutes back, thanks)...

I'm certainly not a moderator here, but I play one on TV and at another very popular website for Cadet Programs.  And I know Mike personally.

Your comments in that thread, right out of the box, were inflammatory and either borderline disrespectful or utterly disrespectful (I try to read things online as "neutrally" as possible when trying to figure out if someone has just a bad translation filter from brain to keyboard, or whether they're really, really PO'd about something.  On a neutral read, I got "borderline," and on a "not trying to be neutral" read I got "utterly"...YMMV)

I would guess Mike locked the thread because your comments were unnecessarily harsh and he was doing it to forestall yet another flamewar.   Moderators get a slightly freer hand at the "doctrine of preemptiveness" (is that a word?) here, and rightly so.  They've seen how these things go on a long term basis and recognized when commentary moves from "productive" to "non-productive." That's why they're called "moderators" and not "administrators" or "helpless bystanders."

Quote from: riveraj on May 12, 2007, 08:05:01 PM[And the possibility that it MIGHT get out of control is NOT a good reason, something tells me no one here is enlightened so much that they know exactly what will happen and when.]

I've been involved in CAP internet forums of one flavor or another (first email mailing lists back in the old "majordomor@ca0408.cap.gov" days, and later in online web-based forums like this) for about 14 years now.  Its not hard to see the train wreck that's about to occur when someone new comes on board and "makes a splash."  Like an air traffic controller, a moderator doesn't have to wait for the planes to actually collide before doing something about it.  Thats why over at CadetStuff we pick our moderators usually from folks who have been around the forums for awhile.

That being said, I think Mike did the right thing.  And I think you should think a little more clearly before you type things like you did. 
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

mikeylikey

Lock???  Anyway.....I too have had heated conversations with DNALL......but that is common on a forum like this.  However, enough with the bashing.  Jeez.  Riveraj....you link to articles about Hayden, it makes me wonder ARE YOU MR. HAYDEN.....back to cause trouble and advertise the mess that is his website?

I thought we got rid of him and his lies long ago.  Perhaps we should have a ban on everything HAYDEN.  You know.....like when I want to type the F word, it actually posts as FARG.  Perhaps when someone tries to post the word Hayden....it will actually posts as POS,Lying,SOB! 

Just a thought
What's up monkeys?

Capt Rivera

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 13, 2007, 01:03:51 PM
Lock???  Anyway.....I too have had heated conversations with DNALL......but that is common on a forum like this.  However, enough with the bashing.  Jeez.  Riveraj....you link to articles about Hayden, it makes me wonder ARE YOU MR. HAYDEN.....back to cause trouble and advertise the mess that is his website?

I thought we got rid of him and his lies long ago.  Perhaps we should have a ban on everything HAYDEN.  You know.....like when I want to type the F word, it actually posts as FARG.  Perhaps when someone tries to post the word Hayden....it will actually posts as POS,Lying,SOB! 

Just a thought

No, I'm not Mr. Hayden... but I do find it funny that linking and wondering about something he brought pisses you off so much....

you call for a lock... based on what I've done that others have pointed out above.... and then after reading all their concerns... you do pretty much the same as me towards Hayden.... I'll just assume this is another version of the 'good ol boys' club and like so many others in the world who want nothing to do with that mindset, ill deal with it as best i can.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

mikeylikey

^^  Sorry!  I take back what I said about you being Mr Hayden.  Clearly you are not.  I also take back my Lock comments.  Clearly we can just bash whomever we want.  I hope this thread stays open and active FOREVER!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 08:42:25 PM

Just a thought

No, I'm not Mr. Hayden... but I do find it funny that linking and wondering about something he brought pisses you off so much....

you call for a lock... based on what I've done that others have pointed out above.... and then after reading all their concerns... you do pretty much the same as me towards Hayden.... I'll just assume this is another version of the 'good ol boys' club and like so many others in the world who want nothing to do with that mindset, ill deal with it as best i can.

Its not a good ol boys club. Everyone is welcomed and included PROVIDED they abide by the code of conduct. Remember, these forums are not just read by those posting. NHQ, USAF, and the general public has access to read. Comments and behavior here not only reflect on the individual who posts it but on the entire organization. Especially to those outsiders.

If you will read the many threads around here, you will find lots of disagreement and heated debates. However, it is done within limits that facilitate INTELLIGENT discussion. When a member resorts to name calling, personal attacks, or abusive posts, they are called on it. If the behavior continues, the thread is locked by the moderators.

If you are willing to abide by these guidelines (as required by CAPTALK), then we invite to you remain on here and post away. If you are not willing to abide by these guidelines, then we invite you to GO away.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Capt Rivera

Quote from: LtCol White on May 13, 2007, 10:16:31 PM
Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 08:42:25 PM

Just a thought

Its not a good ol boys club. Everyone is welcomed and included PROVIDED they abide by the code of conduct. Remember, these forums are not just read by those posting. NHQ, USAF, and the general public has access to read. Comments and behavior here not only reflect on the individual who posts it but on the entire organization. Especially to those outsiders.

If you will read the many threads around here, you will find lots of disagreement and heated debates. However, it is done within limits that facilitate INTELLIGENT discussion. When a member resorts to name calling, personal attacks, or abusive posts, they are called on it. If the behavior continues, the thread is locked by the moderators.

If you are willing to abide by these guidelines (as required by CAPTALK), then we invite to you remain on here and post away. If you are not willing to abide by these guidelines, then we invite you to GO away.

Well I'm glad you feel you can speak for everyone here and the owners... be that as it may...

Ill do what i do... you do what you do... You answered the question so i don't see why your still talking.... i didn't debate you... yet you seem to have more... that goes against what you said... but again... OK...

My OPINION which you MUST respect per the previous posts is that the 'good ol boy' mentality is strong here.... and like i said... i'll deal with it as much as i can, like many people do in all facets of life.

I'm done... are you?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

LtCol White

Apparently so since you don't seem to get the point. Perhaps you should try losing that chip on your shoulder.

You say I MUST respect your opinion but clearly, you don't do the same. Wreaks of hypocracy for one who claims to be so principled.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

shorning

Quote from: riveraj on May 13, 2007, 11:54:19 PM
Well I'm glad you feel you can speak for everyone here and the owners...

Rhetorical question, but what's going on in your personal life that is causing you to vent here?  Something has got your shorts in a bunch and you're using this as your outlet.  The affect is that you're getting the "conflict" you strive for, even if it didn't originate here.  Personally, I think your energy is misdirected.

Trust me, if the mods or admin had felt the need to chime in, they would have.  Instead, they are letting the community handle it for now.  "Self moderation" is a lot better than totalitarianism.

My recommendation is that you:

1) Review the Membership Code of Conduct.  Heck, everyone could benefit from a glance at it.  How many people have ever read it?  Just because one can access this forum, does not give one the right to post anything they want.

2) Take a break from the forum for a while.   If it's getting you that riled up, you might want to look at your priorities.  Maybe turn off the computer and get outside for a while.  Go for a run, take a scenic drive, just get outside.  I've heard that there is life beyond the internet (crazy, I know!).

3)  Keep in mind that you're never as anonymous as you think.

Smokey

Lt Rivera,

Folks here have been very tolerent of your comments.  Please try to conduct yourself in the same manner.   We are after all, the CIVIL Air Patrol. 
Mature discussion is welcomed.  We may get heated, but "old timers" carry weight here because they have conducted themselves in a worthy manner, even in adversarial situations. Making your point in a skillful manner without attacks only goes to support your position. Those whose arguement is without merit often resort to mud slinging, name calling etc.

Trust me, a mature calm approach will garner more support.  So, with all due respect...take a chill pill.  We will welcome your well reasoned opinion even if we don't agree with it.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

JohnKachenmeister

Lieutenant Rivera:

Sir, I did not read your comments in the locked thread.  I offer this comment to you only as advice, one officer to another.

Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

Just as in a club, when an officer's conduct enters into an area where gentlemen find it reproachful, you will be so informed.  Either by other officers, as has happened here, or by Mike, the Club Manager.

So, remember the Golden Rule of Being an Officer:  "All of the brothers are valiant, and all of the sisters are virtuous."

Now pay your tab, go home and think about it, and come back when you've calmed down.
Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on May 14, 2007, 02:11:23 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

ha.....are you buying the first round?
What's up monkeys?

JohnKachenmeister

Buy?  What ees thees word "Buy?"  I don' speek so good Eenglish!
Another former CAP officer

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 14, 2007, 04:45:07 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

mikey...
Your experience may have been more pleasurable than mine; but I've found e-beer to be not only less filling, but also to possess less taste than the real thing.  Sooo, when it comes to sharing the Murphy's/Guinness/Moosehead/Heineken/etc., *that's* when I hope the virtual crosses to the real!!  ;D

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

JC004

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on May 14, 2007, 04:31:54 PM
Quote from: mikeylikey on May 14, 2007, 04:45:07 AM
Consider this discussion board as an on-line officers' club.  Discussions, disagreements, sarcasm, and passion are clearly allowed.  Ungentlemanly conduct is not.

mikey...
Your experience may have been more pleasurable than mine; but I've found e-beer to be not only less filling, but also to possess less taste than the real thing.  Sooo, when it comes to sharing the Murphy's/Guinness/Moosehead/Heineken/etc., *that's* when I hope the virtual crosses to the real!!  ;D

V/R,

I'll take one of each please.  So you're saying that these great beers would taste like Bud light?!  BLAST!   :'(

mikeylikey

^^ Worse than that.....WARM Bud Light!
What's up monkeys?

LtCol White

Hmmm....water recycled....through a horse. LOL
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Pylon

Mike did the right thing.  If I wasn't away at the McGuire Air Expo, I would have locked such a thread.

I could go into lengthy detail, but what NIN posted above matches my sentiments.  To add to it, when you don't act like adults and professionals, I see no reason to let you all carry on with your antics.

Nobody argues like this around the water cooler at their office or squadron, and people don't talk to each other like this when discussing issues of a professional nature.  So don't expect just because this is an internet forum that we're going to give you all a free pass to talk to others however you wish.  I don't care if you're new to the boards, new to CAP, or you've been around CAPTalk or Civil Air Patrol since the dawn of time.    You're all bound by our Code of Conduct, though I wish we could have people here who were more professional that we wouldn't need to remind adults to behave like such.

If you have any such future issues with moderator actions, send me or Jerry a message directly.  Since this thread has turned into another fine example of the problems we get to deal with, I'm locking this one, too.

Knock it off, or we'll knock it off for you. 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP