H.R.1333 : To amend the Homeland Security Act of 2002....

Started by Capt Rivera, May 07, 2007, 10:41:45 PM

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

wingnut

Your Behind on this, Gen P. testified before Congress last month (see CAP NHQ web site), the bill is in the Transportation Comittee (it may die there)

Capt Rivera

Quote from: wingnut on May 08, 2007, 04:31:58 AM
Your Behind on this, Gen P. testified before Congress last month (see CAP NHQ web site), the bill is in the Transportation Comittee (it may die there)

Why do you think it might die?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JC004

Quote from: riveraj on May 08, 2007, 05:22:22 AM

Committee is where things go to die in Washington.   >:D

DNall

It's probably going to die. It's just grandstanding.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: JC004 on May 08, 2007, 05:40:40 AM

Is there nothing we can do? Get more co-sponsors or write our congressmen to at least support it?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JC004

Quote from: riveraj on May 08, 2007, 05:54:54 AM

Is there nothing we can do? Get more co-sponsors or write our congressmen to at least support it?

40, 50, 60 co-sponsors isn't uncommon on "oh, sure" legislation, in what I've seen.  This could be that, but this could hold unintended (and yet unknown) consequences as well.  We shall have to see about that.  In the meantime, we can ask our representatives to cosponsor it.  Of course, I think there still isn't a Senate version as was supposed to be coming.  The CAP addition to the Public Safety Officers Benefit Act had a good number of cosponsors, but never went anywhere, though.  That was a big deal with NHQ for a while.

Capt Rivera

Quote from: JC004 on May 08, 2007, 06:01:35 AM
Quote from: riveraj on May 08, 2007, 05:54:54 AM

40, 50, 60 co-sponsors isn't uncommon on "oh, sure" legislation, in what I've seen.  This could be that, but this could hold unintended (and yet unknown) consequences as well.  We shall have to see about that.  In the meantime, we can ask our representatives to cosponsor it.  Of course, I think there still isn't a Senate version as was supposed to be coming.  The CAP addition to the Public Safety Officers Benefit Act had a good number of cosponsors, but never went anywhere, though.  That was a big deal with NHQ for a while.

Anyone want to write a letter for co-sponsorship that everyone could send to their respective reps?... I'm not good at such things.
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

JC004

Quote from: riveraj on May 08, 2007, 06:12:01 AM
Anyone want to write a letter for co-sponsorship that everyone could send to their respective reps?... I'm not good at such things.

It should basically be something like this -

Dear Bottom-Feeding, Lying Scum: (did I put that?!)  >:D

I am writing to you in order to ask your support of H.R. 1333.  <insert very brief description, main reason of support here>

H.R. 1333 will benefit the country because: <bullet points here>

<conclusion here>

Sincerely,

John ImVotingAgainstYouNextElection

--------------

You can get your Congress Critter's info here.

Electronic Frontier Foundation has some good tips here.

Congress.org has some good stuff too.

*Note: I'm not sure that I would follow my format exactly.   >:D

Another note (forgot to mention this): E-mail is an eh way of contacting them, but sending a letter to the D.C. office is the Pony Express way of contacting them (due to heavy mail security).  My recommendation is to drop it off at the local office, in person.  That's what I've always tried to do.  It also helps for their local staff to get to see your smiling face. 

fyrfitrmedic

If the problems surrounding the PSOB and fire/EMS personnel are any indication, don't count on much support for CAP if that amendment ever resurfaces. At last count DoJ has shoveled over 200 fire/EMS claims into limbo...
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

JC004

Quote from: fyrfitrmedic on May 08, 2007, 06:54:13 PM
If the problems surrounding the PSOB and fire/EMS personnel are any indication, don't count on much support for CAP if that amendment ever resurfaces. At last count DoJ has shoveled over 200 fire/EMS claims into limbo...

Not likely to pass at the moment.  The red tape was a given.  If you don't have enough, buy some from the National Archives.   :D

DNall

We already do a lot of work for DHS via 1AF. We fly the border now for both agencies plus states... this is meaningless legislation by people that want to be seen doing something even though it doesn't.

The reason we don't get more work is cause we don't offer the capability they want or need. They also aren't goig to pay for us to add that capability (things like FLIR) when they have so equipped planes & crews & don't want competition for those funds. Fact is we could fly 5000 hrs a day over the border & it wouldn't change anything. If there is spare money to be had, there's better places to spend it if you're trying to get the mission accomplished.

wingnut

Capt Rivera

//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

ColonelJack

Quote from: riveraj on May 11, 2007, 12:51:00 PM
Quote from: wingnut on May 11, 2007, 06:15:29 AM
I think we can take over S.E.T.I.

Search For Extra Terrestrial Intelligence?

Heck, you can't really prove Terrestrial intelligence sometimes!!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Capt Rivera

Heck, you can't really prove Terrestrial intelligence sometimes!!

Jack

HAHA
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

RiverAux

I don't think MG Pineda's testimony had the first thing to do with this bill.  I'm fairly sure it didn't mention it at all and in fact was given to a committee other than the one where the bill currently sits. 

wingnut

AH GRASSHOPPA follow the link and see the truth, Open your eyes :o

http://dent.house.gov/pr-042507.shtml

This was the Press release from Congressman Dent, on his bill and de Generals testimony

Capt. BOB

RiverAux

Technically I was half-right as his written testimony doesn't talk about the bill, but obviously there was a question about it as indicated by the press release (good catch).  However, you were wrong earlier and so was I as the bill is actually in front of TWO committees -- the Homeland Security Committee where MG Pineda testified as well as in front of the Aviation Committee. 

JC004

Quote from: wingnut on May 12, 2007, 03:27:20 AM
AH GRASSHOPPA follow the link and see the truth, Open your eyes :o

http://dent.house.gov/pr-042507.shtml

This was the Press release from Congressman Dent, on his bill and de Generals testimony

Capt. BOB

"Civil Air Patrol endorses..."  Sounds like we're acting as a federal corporation there, cuz I don't see anything about "SECAF endorses..."  Soooo...where does CAP lobbying Congress directly begin/end?   ???