Anyone know how to contact the Maryland Defense Force?

Started by NAYBOR, May 06, 2007, 04:44:18 AM

NAYBOR

I know this is not a CAP-sepcific question, but since it's the lobby, I figured I'd ask: Is there anyone here in the Maryland Defense Force (MDDF), or know how to contact the MDDF?  I've attempted to contact them via email, but have heard nothing back in a while.  All that is listed is an email address for the "Recruiter" and "Webmaster" on their website.  I have been unable to find any phone number for anyone on their official website, or any other site.  I have called Military Affairs, but they refer me back to the website.  I've searched the 'net--no phone numbers, but a few more emails (which I tried).  Anyone know if the MDDF is still interested in recruiting people?  I am particularly looking for commissioning in their medical services corps.

DNall

Don't know anything about them, but I'd call back the AG's office & figure out how close the relationship is with the guard there. If they're not that tight then you're just going to end up sitting in a meeting room doing nothing in another uniform.

Becks

BBATW

RiverAux

There is a former CAP guy in the MDDF that posts fairly regularly over on the CAP board and SDF board at military.com

KFreeman

Naybor,

Go to http://www.mddefenseforce.org to see what's up. There is a "Contacts" button.

Regards,
Ken
Authentic Antique Aviator

ddelaney103

DNall

How old are you, and how much prior-service? Can you just come back in the guard? I think it's 46yo for medical personnel PLUS however many years of military service. I think there's waivers to cause I've seen some senior docs come in. And the signing bonus starts & 20grand on up to 50, plus some other stuff for further education.

My sister is getting 20k up front & 30 more over 3 years to come in as 68W (enlisted medic - EMT). Meanwhile they're giving me 10 as a combat arms officer & I don't see that for 18months.

SDFSoldier

Did you find a email for the MDDF?

If not, please contact me, and I can direct your questions to the right person...

Sorry for the problems.

rscott@mddf.us

NAYBOR

Thank you all for the help!  Not too long after I posted this, many people from MDDF contacted me.  I was put in touch with the Colonel in charge of the 10MEDRGT of the MDDF, and am in the process of joining.  The colonel thought there was no residency requirement, but apparently there is, but is seeking a waiver.  Thanks, too,  for posting this over on vajoe.com, RiverAux!

Dnall, you can join the MDDF up until 70 without waiver.  I'm 33 presently, and will be joining the mental health corps of the 10MEDRGT if all goes well.  I have a graduate degree in Psychology, with years of experience in the field.

We'll see what happens!

Thanks again, everyone!  I really appreciate it!

DNall

Quote from: NAYBOR on May 12, 2007, 12:23:54 AM
Dnall, you can join the MDDF up until 70 without waiver.  I'm 33 presently, and will be joining the mental health corps of the 10MEDRGT if all goes well.  I have a graduate degree in Psychology, with years of experience in the field.
Yeah, why don't you just take a direct commission in the national guard instead? Two weeks & you're a real officer with a paycheck (small tho it be), and get to make a bigger impact, pretty dang good benefits & such. Check into it anyway. PM me & I'll put you on some contacts.

RiverAux

He will be a real officer in the MDDF.  Surprised to see such a comment from you.

ddelaney103

Quote from: RiverAux on May 12, 2007, 03:13:44 AM
He will be a real officer in the MDDF.  Surprised to see such a comment from you.

Yes, but all the comments about pay and benefits are true.

RiverAux

The MDDF medical unit has quite a lot of opportunities to make a difference.  While I don't like a few things that they've done (outside the scope of CAPTalk), they did send a big group of people down south after Katrina and also sent a group over to Kosovo as part of a NG deployment. 

ddelaney103

Don't get me wrong - I think the MDDF is a great org.  If I was a med pro, or if one came to me for advice I'll tell them to choose MDDF over CAP any day.  In the MDDF, a pharmacist will do pharmacist stuff: in CAP, the best they can hope for is doing "Prevention of Heat Stress Injuries" PPT's for some sqdn.

However, it is not the real military.  The pay, benefits, and opportunities are all much greater in the RC.

RiverAux

yes, it is the real military in all legal senses of the word.  Pay and benefits do not a soldier make.....I'm not up on the MDDF, but depending on the state, some State Defense Force members do get paid at the same rate as the NG while on State Active Duty and get the same job protection benefits and may also get educational benefits. 

wingnut

Did anyone pay attention to the fact that a Maryland Defense Force medical unit was activated, Sworn on to active duty as a National Guard Unit, and federalized to assist with Katrina.

Go to their web site.

RiverAux

Uh, I think you're overstepping the known facts a bit unless you have details beyond what is on their web site.  We do know they went along with the NG to Kosovo but I will bet you quite a bit of money that they were not sent as a National Guard unit. 

They were not "federalized" for Katrina either -- they were sent along with the NG-- which itself was not federalized for the mission -- they went under state orders too.

ddelaney103

Quote from: RiverAux on May 12, 2007, 03:50:52 AM
Uh, I think you're overstepping the known facts a bit unless you have details beyond what is on their web site.  We do know they went along with the NG to Kosovo but I will bet you quite a bit of money that they were not sent as a National Guard unit. 

They were not "federalized" for Katrina either -- they were sent along with the NG-- which itself was not federalized for the mission -- they went under state orders too.

I can confirm the last - all the ANG types I know that went to Katrina got State Active Duty Medals for their troubles.  From the write up on the web site I'm guessing they didn't go federal for Kosovo, either.

Many states have agreements between each other to share NG/SDF resources in case of disaster.  With Iraq sucking the Guard dry, they may need it.

DNall

Quote from: RiverAux on May 12, 2007, 03:13:44 AM
Whatever man, federal recognition is what makes you a soldier & that's it. Due respect to SDFs (the decent ones), but they aren't the same thing as the reserve component of the US Armed Forces.

The guard IS the real military, comes with a paycheck, real benefits, including paid for advanced education, comes with real mil officer training that's very useful back on the CAP or civilian sides, and down the road it comes with a retirement package.

RiverAux

"Federal recognition"...  Federal law authorizes states to form SDFs which is all the recognition state militias had for over half the history of this country.  There was no "federal recognition" prior to the formation of the modern NG system.  Are you saying the state militia units that fought in the War of 1812, Mexican War, Civil War and other various conflicts were not military?