Main Menu

CAP Cell Phones?

Started by mikeylikey, April 23, 2007, 11:04:24 PM

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: NYWG Historian on April 25, 2007, 04:36:08 PM
IMVHO, I think members are leaving because we don't give them meaningful jobs to perform, don't help them get the training for the activities they're looking to participate in; don't mentor them along the way, and we expect them to work their tails off without a lot of support from above.  Instead, they look up and see backstabbing/infighting/politics/VERY public allegations of fraud.

Interesting topic idea--do we do exit interviews to find why folks are really leaving?

As I read this, I'm inclined to agree that what you say has some validity...sadly.

As for perks, I haven't counted, but I think I still get more perks from AARP...  ;D

[soapbox mode ON]

As someone has said elsewhere, as if to take the words right out of my mouth, the squadron is where the rubber meets the road.  It's where the bulk of the bodies reside that actually accomplish the mission.  Wing/region most certainly are *not* queen ants for which the colony exists only to feed and nurture *them.*

Wing 'x', region 'x' and NHQ *may* sometimes need to be reminded that they really are support entities for the people that actually produce the work.  When wing serves only to stonewall equipment, promotion and award requests, when region serves only as a place to slow-roll paperwork, and when national institutes policies that work to discourage people from joining, participating, staying and working, they do nothing for the organization as a whole, and in the eyes of a specific member, or a specific squadron, they individually or collectively appear as a disincentive to further participation.

Now, I'm *not* saying that all wings and regions are 'guilty' of that, or that national is always guilty of that.  But I'm also reminded of the trite phrase "perception is nine-tenths of reality."  If the only 'pay' that a member gets is awards and promotions, and it takes wings or region *months* to "get around" to approving them, you're sending the message that you really couldn't care less if that person participates, or how you make them feel by your inaction.  If you're a staff officer, and someone sends you an email, and you don't answer it, or takes *weeks* to do so, you're telling that person that their question or issue is of no importance, and neither are they.  If a squadron needs resources, assets or support, submits the request and all they ever get from wing is seventeen reasons why something can't be done, or why they don't need what they've asked for, or the moral equivalent of 'shut up and go color' you send the message to an entire squadron that they don't "deserve" support, and that they don't contribute to the mission.

We all need to think about what our actions or our inactions say to the person/unit asking for our help, and what it says about us as individuals and staff members and officers..

[soapbox mode OFF]

'Back in a sec.. There's a black van out front playin' 'Ride of the Valkyries' full blast....

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

ELTHunter

I renewed my plan with Verizon last December, but I was thinking the other day, when I had about 12 minutes left with two days to go in the month, that it would be nice if NHQ could set up some cell phone plan for members.  I was hoping they would negotiate a discount with a couple different carriers and then when I had to call all the CAP people I have to call on a regular basis, it would be "in plan" and I wouldn't need to use my minutes or pay extra because I used up all my personal minutes for CAP business.

My company only has 1500 people, and I'm sure only a fraction of them have phones at the corporate rate.  However, I can sign up for a personal plan at the corporate rate (15% discount on monthly charges).  My plan is cheaper then this one so it doesn't help me any.

You'd think with 55,000 members, the CAP could negotiate a fairly good deal.
Maj. Tim Waddell, CAP
SER-TN-170
Deputy Commander of Cadets
Emergency Services Officer

JC004

isuhawkeye

AFRCC missions will reimburse communications expenses.  If you go over your minutes, and you can document those charges are from a mission, and you can produce the bill it should get payed (it does in Iowa nay way)

The Fighting Falcon

alamrcn

I had worked in the wirless phone retail industry since 1999, leaving only just recently.

It sounds like Civil Air Patrol has NOT become an authorized agent (a reseller) for the wireless companies listed. They have only created a "store front" for the online agent Let's Talk. By dirrecting our members through the CAP store front, CAP will get a portion of the commission the agent gets from the wireless company.

An authorized reselling agent CAN NOT create and sell a voice/data plan different or better than the plans offered (advertised or unadvertised) by the service provider. Once you start your new service, you are completely disassociated with the reseller and just another regular user of whichever service provider.

The discount on the phone is determined by the agent/reseller - they deside how much loss they want to take on the phone equipment - either purchased soley by them or with a co-op) in order to gain a new user to get the commission from the provider. Being that the agent is loosing part of their commission to CAP, I doubt they are also going to sell the phones for less to CAP members than anyone else.

Discounts on phones require service contracts. If you want a free phone or one for a $100 off, the service provider expects that you are going to use that phone with them for a certain amount of time. Starting a new service (1 phone user) actually costs the service provider over $300-$400 - this is called the "cost of aquisition" which includes not only the equipment discount, but service activation, advertising, personnel time, etc.

There is also something called ARPU (average return per unit?) - or the amount of income value expected from of a user to gain that lost money back on equipment discounts, etc. If CAP members could be expected to use their phones more (for voice, but especially data usage), then THAT would constitute a larger equipment discount for Civil Air Patrol members.

Ok, sorry for all the industry jiggy-jack. Let's just say this is a lot like the old Amazon.com CAP fundraiser. Civil Air Patrol has no real investment in that company, but gets paid to dirrect people there through advertising to our membership. I don't even know if this program is still going.

- Ace

BTW, don't be fooled by "corperate" rate plans as being better- they ARE NOT always. An individual user who moniters their usage and adjusts the plan accordingly will ALWAYS come out cheeper. Corperate rate plans allow large groups of varied and inconsistant usage to truely pay for what they use - as apposed to minute plans with overage charges. Basically, they don't have to me micro-managed by the corperation.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

mikeylikey

^^  All cell phone companies are ripping the average consumer off.  Remember when cells first came out in force, they had competitive rates and most cost less than the average home phone line.  Reference the AT&T to CINGULAR to AT&T Switch.  Can we say monopoly?  I thought the Feds broke them up almost 30 years ago for what they just did.  Its a scam, but now that the 6 to 16 age group is hooked on IM, pics, texts and music on the phones we are doomed to pay for their bills each month.  I could go on, but my cell phone is ringing!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 05, 2007, 03:26:00 AM
...I could go on, but my cell phone is ringing!

Yea, sorry, but I just got that new shipment in.  Left you a message about it, though.

Did you secure the howitzer yet?

alamrcn

Quote from: mikeylikey on May 05, 2007, 03:26:00 AM
Reference the AT&T to CINGULAR to AT&T Switch.  Can we say monopoly?

The wireless rags were all a buzz with that stunt. In essence, AT&T dumped out of the very proffitable industry for no real apparent reason just as the government was enacting lots of new rules, like E911 and number portability. These small things on the consumer side required LOTS of VERY EXPENSIVE network upgrades, account and billing system changes, personnel training, etc. Once the smoke cleared, AT&T gave Cingular a call back and said... "Let's chat".

You are right, it is a farce!  Monopoly though? Well, if we see Clear Channel and Cumulus get into the biz it very well could be. Microsoft is expected to take a more heavy roll in phone service soon, and Disney already rolled out their service last year I believe.

Looks like the Man has you by the manitalia.... how's that Howitzer coming?

- Ace

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

mikeylikey

Quote from: alamrcn on May 13, 2007, 04:33:07 AM
Looks like the Man has you by the manitalia.... how's that Howitzer coming?

- Ace

Currently aimed at a building on Hansell street on a remote Air Force Base in Alabama!
What's up monkeys?