Main Menu

CAP Cell Phones?

Started by mikeylikey, April 23, 2007, 11:04:24 PM

mikeylikey

Now CAP is selling Cell Phones!  Do you have, Verizon, Sprint, Nextell, AT&T?  If so click on the link below and be transported to "Tony P's wacky world of discount phones"  You have got to be kidding me!!!

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=2998&year=2007&month=4

What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

From CAP News Online:
QuoteCAP offers new wireless program for members

April 23, 2007

NATIONAL HEADQUARTERS -- Civil Air Patrol is offering a new nationwide online wireless program allowing its members to buy calling plans, phones and accessories from Tier 1 carriers such as Verizon Wireless, Cingular, Sprint, Nextel and T-Mobile through the online CAP Wireless Center.

CAP members can save up to $100 on their next cell phone at the CAP Wireless Center, as opposed to buying directly from a wireless carrier. The program features a huge selection of wireless carriers, cell phones and accessories. Participants will get the same great rate plans from the carrier they select, as well as a better phone at a better value than they could by walking into a retail store. 

The program offers participating CAP members access to:

Exclusive promotions not available in any store or website.

Side-by-side comparisons of all available cell phones and plans.

A 30-day risk-free satisfaction guarantee and a seven-day money back guarantee with a full refund and no restocking charge.

Fast, free Federal Express shipping on all phone orders.

More information is available at www.capwirelessonline.com or 866-416-3060. The information can also be accessed from the CAP Web site's Member Services page:  http://level2.cap.us/en/member_services/.

I'd like to know more  about CAP's relationship with this company.  Are we getting some money on this deal?  Or, is it aimed at saving CAP members money?  Both?

JC004

Well this is...different.  Does it come with free CAP wallpaper and ring tones?

MIKE

Mike Johnston

LtCol White

Great. Now CAP is gonna be in the stupid commercials with the dorks representing the different carriers. I wonder if TP will be the new character.  ::)
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Pylon

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eagle400

What is the CAP Wireless Center, and who pays for it?

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: 12211985 on April 24, 2007, 02:40:08 AM

That would be you.

JC004

Quote from: 12211985 on April 24, 2007, 02:40:08 AM

It appears to be CAP reselling the services of another company and YOU pay for it.

Eagle400

Well, actually I have yet to re-join CAP so I don't pay for it.

Seems to me like the last thing CAP needs right now is a Wirless Center.  Remember the whole NASCAR thing?  Looks like a similar deal. 

JC004

Quote from: 12211985 on April 24, 2007, 02:50:34 AM
Well, actually I have yet to re-join CAP so I don't pay for it.

Seems to me like the last thing CAP needs right now is a Wirless Center.  Remember the whole NASCAR thing?  Looks like a similar deal. 

I think the concept here is to MAKE some money (and offer members some discounts)...

Fifinella

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 23, 2007, 11:04:24 PM
Now CAP is selling Cell Phones!  Do you have, Verizon, Sprint, Nextell, AT&T?  If so click on the link below and be transported to "Tony P's wacky world of discount phones"  You have got to be kidding me!!!

http://www.cap.gov/index.cfm?fuseaction=display&nodeID=6192&newsID=2998&year=2007&month=4

It figures.  One week after I finally got a cell phone.  Coulda got it cheaper here.  Arrrggghhh.

If you look up at the top left, CAP has made a deal with Lets Talk.com.  But I wonder if CAP members who sign up through this site are getting the 19% Air Force monthly discount on their calling plans that AT & T offers?

P.S. - The cheapest calling plans (offered on Lets Talk.com's site) are not available here.  That's probably where CAP is getting their cut.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RogueLeader

Quote from: Fifinella on April 24, 2007, 03:43:51 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on April 23, 2007, 11:04:24 PM

It figures.  One week after I finally got a cell phone.  Coulda got it cheaper here.  Arrrggghhh.

If you look up at the top left, CAP has made a deal with Lets Talk.com.  But I wonder if CAP members who sign up through this site are getting the 19% Air Force monthly discount on their calling plans that AT & T offers?

P.S. - The cheapest calling plans (offered on Lets Talk.com's site) are not available here.  That's probably where CAP is getting their cut.
No kidding, same here.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Flying Pig

Compare the plans, if it doesnt work out, get a different plan.  Many corporations offer plans to their employees or members and in turn make some money. Through Law Enforcement I have several programs I can look into from phones, discount sports tickets, etc. Through our Assoc, I even have a discount card to OfficeMax through the County.

MattPHS2002

I just looked through this and my current plan is the same exact price in the store as it is on the website... savings my foot.
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on April 24, 2007, 03:05:19 PM
I just looked through this and my current plan is the same exact price in the store as it is on the website... savings my foot.

I think they are reselling the phones at discounted rates, not the plans

Fifinella

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 24, 2007, 03:26:12 PM

You can get these phones for the same "exclusive price" on Let's Talk.com, without any CAP alliance.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

SarDragon

So if we're not paying any more, and possibly less, for the phone/service, why not do business with the partner, and send a buck or two back to then organization? I have a couple of credit cards that do the same thing, although I don't have a CAP one.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: Fifinella on April 25, 2007, 03:41:23 AM
Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on April 24, 2007, 03:26:12 PM

You can get these phones for the same "exclusive price" on Let's Talk.com, without any CAP alliance.

Point Taken

NYWG Historian

What irks me about this is the lack of focus.  Someone at National HQ (paid or otherwise) had to take time to develop/research/review this "deal".  The National CC would then have had to review enough so that he could approve as a corporate officer.

How much money is this really going to bring to the organization?  How many members are really going to change over or make use of it?  With fast dwindling membership numbers, there are fewer members eligible for it, that's for sure.

What are we focused on:  We develop "perks" for members, we introduce exciting new uniform ideas like "US Civil Air Patrol" and re-re-revised corporate uniform options; we change the CAP Command patch; we see 45 of 60 Region and Wing CCs change hands in 18 months....

Are members really leaving because they need more "perks"?  Or more uniform options/ribbons/doohickies to wear?

IMVHO, I think members are leaving because we don't give them meaningful jobs to perform, don't help them get the training for the activities they're looking to participate in; don't mentor them along the way, and we expect them to work their tails off without a lot of support from above.  Instead, they look up and see backstabbing/infighting/politics/VERY public allegations of fraud.

Interesting topic idea--do we do exit interviews to find why folks are really leaving?
Peter J. Turecek, Major, CAP
Historian
New York Wing