Main Menu

DRMO Resources

Started by SAR-EMT1, April 23, 2007, 04:40:32 AM

SAR-EMT1

Ok, Its been awhile since I started a thread so I put forward the following question: -

What item(s) currently in the US Government inventory - DoD, FBI, Customs etc. Do you think could be put to use in CAP for any of its missions?

Be it a surplus HMMWV or UH-1 for SAR work, a Blimp for Cadet O-rides, or an STU for comm work.

Have fun, however, you must justify your suggestion.  ;D

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SarDragon

Well, right off the bat:
Quote from: CAPR 77-1d. Types of vehicles not permitted to be owned by CAP will be determined by NHQ. Vehicles not permitted to be owned by CAP include, but are not limited to:
1) Buses
2) Water trailers
3) Humvees
4) Deuce and half (2 1/2 ton vehicles or larger)
5) Boats
6) ATVs

shoots down one of your items.

As for the others you mentioned, the second and third are too maintenance intensive for CAP use, and the helo may also be prohibited by reg. I don't see a need for a STU.

Now, for all the rest of the stuff at DRMO, most of it is there for a reason - it has passed its useful life. That make it olde, out-of-date, costly to maintain, and generally more trouble than it's worth. Even "the good stuff" frequently requires repair or modification to be useful for CAP use.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

^^ but where does it say "no non-rigid airships"?   ;D  Sweet.  Instead of Goodyear at football games, there will be a giant "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL" blimp.  If we stay generic with the insignia, we can rent it to the Brazilian Civil Air Patrol when we aren't using it. 

flyerthom

1) AED's
2) Really large tents for command and control and staging for air and ground crews available but not assigned a sortie.
3) Panansonic Toughbooks for field use with IMU.
4) Bigger servers for IMU.
5) M-14's for shooting the computers for IMU.
6) Pizza ovens (opps that was a MASH episode)
TC

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: flyerthom on April 23, 2007, 06:30:24 AM

6) Pizza ovens (opps that was a MASH episode)

Just cross out machine gun........

mikeylikey

Every single piece of TA-50 equipment can be found at a DRMO.  There should be a HUGE turn-in when the AF says, no more camo equipment at all.  The Army Reserve and Guard are in the process of turning it over to DLA right now.

WHICH brings up a good point, In my MCSS, there is no CAMO field equipment sold.  The AF guys are buying ACU pattern.  Is that Air Force wide?  If so, should CAP members be buying it as well??
What's up monkeys?

Sgt. Savage

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 23, 2007, 01:18:58 PM
Every single piece of TA-50 equipment can be found at a DRMO.  There should be a HUGE turn-in when the AF says, no more camo equipment at all.  The Army Reserve and Guard are in the process of turning it over to DLA right now.

WHICH brings up a good point, In my MCSS, there is no CAMO field equipment sold.  The AF guys are buying ACU pattern.  Is that Air Force wide?  If so, should CAP members be buying it as well??

Our squadron / wing drew a butt load of gear from DRMO Portsmouth NH prior to its closing. If your state liason is willing to put the work in to get you into the computer ordering system, you'll never have to pay for another piece of gear.

badger bob

Item 1-Bud's
Currently all BDU uniforms are restricted to combat units only. CAP, JROTC,and LEA are three agencies that are not able to requisition BDU's. CAP-USAF has been working on this at the highest levels. Sorry, we need to be patient and give them a little time.

Item 2- Servers
If your squadron or wing needs a server and can support one- please send me a PM and I will help. The military throws away more servers in one day than CAP can use in the next 20 years. Some are current and fully capable of typical CAP use.

Other requisitions from the DRMO

The system is changing to comply with other DRMO activates.
Caution- this is a public document but the procedures have not passed out of the beta phase and are being revised. If anyone has any questions please send me a PM.
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

badger bob

QuoteThe system is changing to comply with other DRMO activates.
Caution- this is a public document but the procedures have not passed out of the beta phase and are being revised. If anyone has any questions please send me a PM.

Sorry forgot the link
https://www.drms.dla.mil/cap/ProgramGuide.pdf
Chris Klein
cklein<at>cap.gov
The Supply Guy
IC2
National Volunteer Logistics Officer- Retired
WI-IGA
Wilson Award# 3320

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: badger bob on April 24, 2007, 01:10:25 AM
Item 2- Servers
If your squadron or wing needs a server and can support one- please send me a PM and I will help. The military throws away more servers in one day than CAP can use in the next 20 years. Some are current and fully capable of typical CAP use.

I'm encouraged by this comment, but not sure how to make in work in Oklahoma.  Just a few weeks ago, our wing LG told me that she'd had a conversation with NHQ LG, and that it was highly unlikely that CAP would be getting any computer resources through DRMO anytime soon.  NOTE: I'm not arguing with you, or doubting you at all.  I'm explaining the degree of my surprise based on what I'd just been told. So, if the wing LG has set her feet and won't work it, I guess we're still scr00d..  Reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode...

We're working with two PCs that are 450s, with 256MB RAM.  It's ridiculous.  When I asked the question "Since HQ is pushing more and more program management and access to on-line resources only, how do they think we can do business, or intend for us to realistically do business with these kinds of assets?," I was simply ignored..  With apologies to Algore, it might have been an inconvenient truth...

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

ZigZag911

Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 24, 2007, 01:35:51 AM
Item 2- Servers

I'm encouraged by this comment, but not sure how to make in work in Oklahoma.  Just a few weeks ago, our wing LG told me that she'd had a conversation with NHQ LG, and that it was highly unlikely that CAP would be getting any computer resources through DRMO anytime soon.  NOTE: I'm not arguing with you, or doubting you at all.  I'm explaining the degree of my surprise based on what I'd just been told. So, if the wing LG has set her feet and won't work it, I guess we're still scr00d..  Reminds me of a M*A*S*H episode...

We're working with two PCs that are 450s, with 256MB RAM.  It's ridiculous.  When I asked the question "Since HQ is pushing more and more program management and access to on-line resources only, how do they think we can do business, or intend for us to realistically do business with these kinds of assets?," I was simply ignored..  With apologies to Algore, it might have been an inconvenient truth...

V/R,

Since every unit got a laptop, printer & web access, I think NHQ thinks "our work here is finished"!

Frankly I think we need as many computers & peripherals as we can come up with for missions, training & administration.

Weren't we on DRMO freeze?? Is that over??

Major_Chuck

I would avoid surplus electrical equipment such as computers, printers, fax machines, servers, etc.  They are being thrown out for various reasons.  Some because technology is outpacing the hardware, others because they've been dogged out.   Just seem like a money pit to me.

I would concentrate however on more practical stuff such as rucksacks, mats for sleeping on, sleep systems if in good shape, tents and shelters, etc.

Anyways, the really good stuff at the DRMO's we can't get our hands on anyways.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

mikeylikey

Wow....I am glad we won't have to handwrite the 1348's!
What's up monkeys?

RiverAux

QuoteSince every unit got a laptop,
Wasn't that like 5 years ago?  At least thats about when we got our national laptop.  Not exactly current technology.  Still works, but won't for long as XP is phased out. 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on April 24, 2007, 03:01:32 AM
Wasn't that like 5 years ago?  At least thats about when we got our national laptop.  Not exactly current technology.  Still works, but won't for long as XP is phased out. 

I think it was a phased purchase, so some are newer than others.

If CAP upgrades stuff to Vista, I will refuse to service anything until SP1.  This operating system sucks. 

mikeylikey

Quote from: JC004 on April 24, 2007, 03:27:24 AM

If CAP upgrades stuff to Vista, I will refuse to service anything until SP1.  This operating system sucks. 

Vista by far is the biggest waste of time in computing history!  Anyway.......I see that each wing received a GPS, anyone know where their wings GPS is located?  Possibly the Wing Kings basement!
What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on April 24, 2007, 04:45:00 AM
Quote from: JC004 on April 24, 2007, 03:27:24 AM

Vista by far is the biggest waste of time in computing history!  Anyway.......I see that each wing received a GPS, anyone know where their wings GPS is located?  Possibly the Wing Kings basement!

I bet ours is in pieces on the wing hq basement floor...

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: SarDragon on April 23, 2007, 05:39:28 AM
Well, right off the bat:
Quote from: CAPR 77-1d. Types of vehicles not permitted to be owned by CAP will be determined by NHQ. Vehicles not permitted to be owned by CAP include, but are not limited to:
1) Buses
2) Water trailers
3) Humvees
4) Deuce and half (2 1/2 ton vehicles or larger)
5) Boats
6) ATVs

I understand the current regs. However CAP did once have such items. AND in a Katrina type situation they would be a Godsend. - Buses, Water trailers, Boats, portable generators etc, fuel bowsers. etc.

Should each unit get these NO, can a local unit even support maintenence for some of these, no. Would they come in VERY useful if controlled at the Wing Level or above: YES.

Heck, get Iowa and their Guard friends to create a CAP maint. manual for the stuff.  :)

My point is, PART of our image revolves around our capabilities.
Our capabilities for Disaster Relief arent very good with POVs, a few Cessnas and a bunch of minivans.
Now I know some Wings have Mobile EOC's. I think its great. Now lets expand on that.

As for Copters... I know again what the regs say. Im not trying to debate the regs. Im merely asking this: IF WE WERE ALLOWED copters, water buffalos, atvs etc.... can you see a use for them in our org. ?

Along with GT gear, tents for CPs Comms, lighting kits for the tents etc....

Discuss. ....

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: ZigZag911 on April 24, 2007, 02:05:47 AM
Quote from: LTC_Gadget on April 24, 2007, 01:35:51 AM

Since every unit got a laptop, printer & web access, I think NHQ thinks "our work here is finished"!

When did every unit get web access?
My unit doesnt even have a phone line, let alone web access. I can say this though... Having it would REALLY make my job as DP alot easier. As is, I have to transfer everything on from my PC at home. So any problems or questions etc must wait till the next meeting.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

One problem with DRMO and computers is that they (DRMO) are requiring EVERY computer that is turned in has to have the hard drive removed - so you tend to find a computer that has had it's HD removed by some junior clerk with a screwdriver and a wire cutter - not an attractive prospect.  450's with 256K? - that's better than ANYTHING I've ever seen at DRMO.
  There have been a few bits of comm equipment come thru DRMO that are useful, but they are few & far between - and usually need work, something that CAP is not really set up to do.  About the only comm stuff CAP has gotten that has been useful has come from other "civilian" agencies (FBI, IRS, etc.) rather than DoD, and it has come outside of the DRMO system.

73 DE Hartley