Main Menu

Direct channel to CAP brass

Started by RiverAux, April 10, 2007, 01:13:54 AM

RiverAux

In his "From Your National Commander" column in the March/April Volunteer MG Pineda said this:
QuoteAs your national commander, I encourage all CAP volunteers and our loyal supporters to communicate your suggestions and concerns.  Individuals with agenda items that have not been brought before the National Board or those wishing to share shining examples of outstanding performance and efficiency are encouarged to email the deputy chiefs of staff or CAP National Vice Commander Brig. Gen. Amy Courter.  Their contact information is available at www.cap.gov

FYI, the deputy chiefs of staff are:
Training: Col. David L. Mikelson
Support: Col. Eileen Parker
Operations: Col. Andrew Skiba
Strategic Missions:  Brig. Gen. Richard Anderson

So, a major problem in CAP appears to have been solved in that there is now a sanctioned way for any CAP member to directly contact high level CAP officer with their ideas and suggestions.  Granted, just because you can send them an email, doesn't mean they will act on it.  But, it has a better chance of at least being read than an email started off by 2LT Snuffy Smith in the Podunk Cadet Squadron does of getting up there. 

However, we should be careful in how we use this because if they get deluged with a bunch of really bad comments they will decide that they will need to have them "filtered" a bit by lower ranking CAP staff. 

So, put your thinking and writing caps on!

JohnKachenmeister

Well, this may solve one problem, (And in doing so may create others), but it doesn't solve the problem of "Top-down communications."  Other than the new name we have, we are still left without an understanding of the overall vison for our organization, and what goals the current National Command has set.
Another former CAP officer

Eagle400

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on April 10, 2007, 01:30:27 AM
Well, this may solve one problem, (And in doing so may create others), but it doesn't solve the problem of "Top-down communications."

I agree.  I think modifying the system of quality assurance in CAP will help with the communication problem.

Other than the new name we have,

Which is not authorized according to both the CAP Constitution and USC.   

we are still left without an understanding of the overall vison for our organization, and what goals the current National Command has set.

Which is one reason why there are so many problems challenges in CAP today. 

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

Eagle400

I wonder if this is designed to be something temporary, or permanent?  Does anyone know?   

Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2007, 01:13:54 AMHowever, we should be careful in how we use this because if they get deluged with a bunch of really bad comments they will decide that they will need to have them "filtered" a bit by lower ranking CAP staff.

I hope that doesn't happen.  This is a great opportunity for the folks at National to see what the membership feel about recent changes in the organization, and how CAP can improve.

RiverAux

I too agree that this is an extremely positive change.  Your guess is as good as mine if this will be officially codified anywhere or just remain a sort of unofficial official open-door policy. 

DNall

I don't think they are counting on a flood of member input, and I would still fully expect to get slammed by your Wg/CC for not going thru the chain (keep copy of this handy). Don't abuse it is all I'm going to say.

SAR-EMT1

I am very tempted to email BG Anderson and request a vision statment from NHQ /  MG TP

Chance of Success?
Level of Sensibility?

What say you....
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Al Sayre

Chance of Success?
50-75% depending on how it's written.

QuoteLevel of Sensibility?
Depends on your Chain of Command.  I always say don't ask me a question if you don't want to hear the answer. 

Your defense is that Maj Gen Pineda asked the question, so you supplied the answer using the channel as directed.

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

JC004

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 10, 2007, 08:06:58 AM
I am very tempted to email BG Anderson and request a vision statment from NHQ /  MG TP

Please do.  That was one of my first thoughts when I read this.  They need to make some goals and show the vision.  I think that would have a positive impact on morale and all that good stuff.

What are "strategic missions" anyway?

dwb

Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I wouldn't be comfortable E-mailing those people with unsolicited comments about the organization.

I appreciate the open door policy, but I can't help but think it will just become a gripe hotline.

Flying Pig

Open door policies can be dangerous to those who dont understand it.   It doesnt mean that you should now e-mail every gripe and complaint.  After a while they will just be ignored.

arajca

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 10, 2007, 08:06:58 AM

Chance of Success?
Level of Sensibility?

What say you....
It's been nice knowing you... ;D

I think it's a great idea and long overdue.

I think what TP has been seeing is that members have concerns and the normal CoC is either unwilling or unable to address them. He may have figured out that this is causing some folks to leave CAP and is attempting to stem the outflow.

One other note is that he has specifically stated "suggestions and concerns", not just "concerns". Perhaps this is the chance to suggest National hold off on more uniform changes for a couple of years?

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on April 10, 2007, 02:17:24 AM
I too agree that this is an extremely positive change.  Your guess is as good as mine if this will be officially codified anywhere or just remain a sort of unofficial official open-door policy. 
Who are they, and what did they do with the Top Brass?

Seriously, I too think that this is a great opportunity for information to move., but I hope that this is not temporary or we don't screw it up.  It could also be a way of screening people who have valuable skills and assets that could be used at HQ.

I'm being optimistic about NHQ at the moment.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SAR-EMT1

Minor roadblock: after a good 30 minutes of looking I havent been able to find said email links on the CAP website.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

DNall

eServices has a corporate phone directory that I believe also lists email addresses. I'm almost positive in fact. It would be behind a password, cause oyu don't want to put people's contact info out in the open like that if you can avoid it.

Chaplaindon

I for one am pleased to see this open-door being offered.

The "brass" is ostensibly making itself accessible.  To wit, I say "thank you."

The question remains whether members will take appropriate advantage of this privilege and give respectful feedback or continue to "simmer" at home and/or on various websites or blogs.

As a former CC myself, I sure liked knowing what the members in the squadron thought and felt about "things." I believe any commander worth her/his "salt" (at whatever eschelon) would as well.

The senior command staff may not implement every suggestion or act on each bit of feedback, but they have expressed a willingness to listen. That is an invaluable virtue.

Perhaps it's time we communicated. It may not change CAP, but neither will complaint threads on CAPTAlk or CAPBlog. Nor will Quixotic bouts of "black-van-phobia."

I intend to share my concerns about Vanguard.

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Galahad

Quote from: DNall on April 10, 2007, 10:14:28 PM
eServices has a corporate phone directory that I believe also lists email addresses. I'm almost positive in fact.

Correct.  The NHQ directory was available in e-services last month.  It's gone now.  Very strange. It's almost as if the left hand at NHQ doesn't know what the right is doing.

Sad to say, in my wing it would be quite suicidal for someone to openly use this avenue of communication. Experience has shown that whistleblower protection is non-existent if your IG complaint (or privileged communication) is against anyone who is a favorite of the wing king or General Pineda.  The wing commander has even issued verbal directives that CAP internet forums are to be monitored for "evidence of insubordination".  When logical alternatives are suggested to questionable orders the standard reaction is to "shoot first, shoot some more, shoot later, and when everyone is dead ask a few questions."

Paranoia rules the chain of command, and anyone with any sense has learned to keep their head down. Or lose it.

Eagle400

I wonder what caused this direct channel to CAP brass to come about?  Does anyone know? 

Someone mentioned that NHQ may be using this to screen future employees, and that sounds plauisble.  But I would think that general Pineda would have stated the reason for creating this "opening" in the chain of command.

I think more people will feel comfortable taking advantage of this opening in the chain of command if they know why it exists. 

arajca

My personal opinion is that he has heard about many great ideas from members (SIMS anyone?) at the various conferences, however, nothing is coming up through channels because someone in the path doesn't like it.

JC004

Quote from: Galahad on April 10, 2007, 11:09:58 PM
eServices has a corporate phone directory that I believe also lists email addresses. I'm almost positive in fact.

Correct.  The NHQ directory was available in e-services last month.  It's gone now.  Very strange. It's almost as if the left hand at NHQ doesn't know what the right is doing.

...oooooor they know exactly what they're doing.  "Please contact us - feel free to use the contact information we've provided [none]."   :)

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 11, 2007, 03:08:29 AM

...oooooor they know exactly what they're doing.  "Please contact us - feel free to use the contact information we've provided [none]."   :)
Hres the current link:
http://www.cap.gov/visitors/about/national_headquarters/hq_contacts.cfm
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 02:38:48 PM

Hres the current link:

The pdf directory from e-services has the name, address, phone number, etc. of all the region and wing kings, liaison folk, etc. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 11, 2007, 02:41:45 PM

Hres the current link:

The pdf directory from e-services has the name, address, phone number, etc. of all the region and wing kings, liaison folk, etc. 
Where? I can't find it.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

JC004

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 02:47:43 PM

Hres the current link:

Where? I can't find it.

^  that's what they're talking about.  All gone - poof.  Maybe the webmaster accidentally removed it when they were changing those links.

RogueLeader

Quote from: JC004 on April 11, 2007, 03:49:29 PM

Hres the current link:

Where? I can't find it.

^  that's what they're talking about.  All gone - poof.  Maybe the webmaster accidentally removed it when they were changing those links.
ah.  I gotcha
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LtCol White

Will be interesting to see if anything comes of it being used.
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

sschwab

Quote from: justin_bailey on April 10, 2007, 02:44:57 PM
Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I wouldn't be comfortable E-mailing those people with unsolicited comments about the organization.

I appreciate the open door policy, but I can't help but think it will just become a gripe hotline.

Hopefully members will follow the advise of an old boss of mine.  "If you want to complain, make sure you have a suggestion to address the problem."

While I don't agree with this all the time, as sometimes a complaint may spark an idea in someone else, but if it is one on one with a boss, it has worked for me.

-----------------------
2LT Schwab
Gateway Squadron
Missouri Wing

RogueLeader

Quote from: sschwab on April 11, 2007, 07:28:18 PM
Quote from: justin_bailey on April 10, 2007, 02:44:57 PM

Hopefully members will follow the advise of an old boss of mine.  "If you want to complain, make sure you have a suggestion to address the problem."

While I don't agree with this all the time, as sometimes a complaint may spark an idea in someone else, but if it is one on one with a boss, it has worked for me.

-----------------------
2LT Schwab
Gateway Squadron
Missouri Wing

Right you are, and good sugestion too. ;D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

BVM

"45% of staff"???

Wow, now thats dedication! I have yet to see any "direct lines" to the top brass... I wonder if it will be published anywhere?

RogueLeader

Quote from: BVM on April 11, 2007, 07:38:08 PM
"45% of staff"???

Wow, now thats dedication! I have yet to see any "direct lines" to the top brass... I wonder if it will be published anywhere?
They hid it under the kickbacks profits from Vanguard.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

RiverAux

I would suspect that those using this avenue to complain about local/Wing problems or people will not get much satisifaction through this route. 

However, if it is used to make suggestions about new national level issues or suggestions to changes in national level policies, procedures, and regulations something might come of it.

Interestingly, the Public Affairs regulation is up for review on e-services and the disclaimer there says to direct comments through the chain of command. 

Eagle400

This reminds me of when I was at COS, where the instructors said we could address them by first name, but no one did because we were all uncomfortable with the thought of doing it. 

Personally, I think people will be afraid to use this new avenue of communication for fear they may be chastized by their commander for "not using the chain of command." 

That reminds me: is there a policy letter from the Nat'l CC stating when this opening in the chain of command takes effect?  He's made an announcement about it, but I have yet to see a policy letter or anything in writing about it.

Is this opening of the chain of command National's way of saying that the Knowledgebase isin't very effective?  Is there someone who is a "chief obstructor" of ideas that are brought up through the chain of command?  I'm dying to find out why this new opening of the chain of command exists.  I'm not saying it's bad (I actually support it), but I wish there was a reason given for it.     

RiverAux

I think it is a recognition that there is not an effective way for ideas and suggestions to flow from the bottom up in CAP.  A regular CAP member would have to have a suggestion go through Squadron, Group, Wing, and Region before getting to National and there are just too many places in this chain where someone could just drop the ball. 

RogueLeader

Quote from: RiverAux on April 12, 2007, 01:22:35 AM
I think it is a recognition that there is not an effective way for ideas and suggestions to flow from the bottom up in CAP.  A regular CAP member would have to have a suggestion go through Squadron, Group, Wing, and Region before getting to National and there are just too many places in this chain where someone could just drop the ball. 
Or squash the idea because it reflects badly on a level.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

lordmonar

Quote from: 12211985 on April 10, 2007, 11:24:28 PM
I wonder what caused this direct channel to CAP brass to come about?  Does anyone know? 

Just speculating....but I think a lot of ideals from the field never get up to the NB for staffing because they get lost in the chain of command.

Not because anyone is incompetent or is trying to stamp out ideas...but you everyone is just so busy.

Capt Public has a good ideal that may effect every squadron in the nation.  He tell's his commander....who forward it up the chain at the next commander's call.  The Group CC add's it to his list of issue to take up at the Wing Staff Meeting...but there are 5 groups with lists of issues and the wing meeting breaks up before this issue comes up....it's not important enough to do right away (because you just picked up two more taskers at the staff meeting) and it gets back burner-ed.  Region knows nothing, national knows nothing....and poor Capt Public gets discouraged because it seems no one cares about his idea.

So the Nat CC wants us to up channel these ideas and suggestions.

PLEASE NOTE

He is looking for ideas and suggestions....not complaints and accusations.  Now you can suggest that it would be nice to get a vision statement from the top....and you probably can do it with out getting you head chopped off.....just be polite and professional.  They can't fire you for being polite and professional.

A simple "I just don't know where you see CAP going...and I really need to so I can help you take us there" would be much more helpful than a "What the farg are trying to do to my CAP!"

ALSO PLEASE NOTE

This is not a license to jump the chain of command about administrative, discipline or true command related issues.  Don't be calling the CV because wing lost your 2a for promotion to Capt!  Or that the Homer J. Simpson Composite Squadron got more radios than your squadron.  Or to report that Lt Col Dipsy Doodle is flying his family around in the CAP aircraft.

Just as with any open door policy....you should still try to use the chain of command as much as possible.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

arajca

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 03:50:26 PM
Quote from: JC004 on April 11, 2007, 03:49:29 PM

Hres the current link:

Where? I can't find it.

ah.  I gotcha
Actually, the information is at the end of the directory.

I decided to give it a try and sent a couple of ideas that I had up for discussion here and other forums, but had vanished after being submitted through the chain. I also cc'd my commander so he is aware of my action. Not required, but I think it is a good idea.