The Best of Squadron Patches

Started by Pylon, January 09, 2006, 08:41:09 PM

A.Member

Quote from: PHall on December 13, 2008, 07:11:50 AM
Quote from: IceNine on December 13, 2008, 06:24:34 AM
I finally found a company that quoted me a reasonable price for this one just a few days ago.  Once I get the sample run I will release my source.

You're not going to have problems with the fine details (AF Wings, Map of Illinois) on this patch?
Because we don't have any current regulations around patch designs, we are not required to abide by the USAF heraldry guidelines; although the consensus here seems to be that we should.  However, if adhering to USAF heraldry guidelines was was part of the goal, then this patch does not seem to adhere based on the inclusion of the map.   FWIW, AFI 84-105 states (emphasis mine):
Quote3.7.2.6. Don't include symbols or caricatures associated with foreign nations, extremist groups,
games of chance, or a specific geographical location.

Just an observation.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

RiverAux

One might wonder whether that clause relates to including a map in the patch (like the squadron patch being discussed) or an identifiable landmark identified with a specific geographic area (Mount Rushmore, for example).  But, seeing as how most CAP unit names include the name of the town they're in, this particular part of the AF heraldry guidelines may not work very well for us. 

PHall

The Air Force, or at least the Air National Guard, doesn't do that good of job following that part of the reg either.
Many Air National Guard patches show exactly where the unit is from because they use symbols and such from their state. i.e. many Texas units incorporate the Texas flag into their patch and California units tend to have a California Brown Bear.

Mustang

Quote from: winterg on March 29, 2008, 08:37:04 AM
Rock County Composite Squadron. GLR-WI-008

You know, it really chafes my hide to see such blatant plagiarizing when it comes to official CAP patches.

Come on people, are you really that creatively challenged?
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

Mustang

Quote from: PHall on December 14, 2008, 05:32:42 PM
The Air Force, or at least the Air National Guard, doesn't do that good of job following that part of the reg either.
Many Air National Guard patches show exactly where the unit is from because they use symbols and such from their state. i.e. many Texas units incorporate the Texas flag into their patch and California units tend to have a California Brown Bear.

Yeah that:

"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: Mustang on January 12, 2009, 09:21:34 AM
Quote from: winterg on March 29, 2008, 08:37:04 AM
Rock County Composite Squadron. GLR-WI-008

You know, it really chafes my hide to see such blatant plagiarizing when it comes to official CAP patches.

Come on people, are you really that creatively challenged?

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Please tell me you're kidding...

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

If you're telling ME that, Eclipse -- how many people will recognize that Rock County patch from the Air Force patch it apes, or from -- yes, really -- Batman?

Cadets aren't going to know the former, but they'll recognize the latter right off. The colors are what do it more than the shape.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on January 12, 2009, 05:04:45 PM
If you're telling ME that, Eclipse -- how many people will recognize that Rock County patch from the Air Force patch it apes, or from -- yes, really -- Batman?

Cadets aren't going to know the former, but they'll recognize the latter right off. The colors are what do it more than the shape.

I've never seen either and did not make the batman connection.

Its quite obviously come sort of bird in flight.  Warner brothers does not own the color yellow or curving bird shapes.

"That Others May Zoom"

BuckeyeDEJ

My point is that it's close enough, thanks to the colors and general shape, that I'm sure there are some people who thought "Batman" when they saw the patch before they even thought "blackbirds."

You don't have to have an exact match to jog someone's memory. That's how cheap ripoffs of Nike shoes get sold with near-swooshes on the side.

You're right that Warner Bros. doesn't own the rights to that logo -- DC Comics does.  ;D

ThorntonOL

My unit's current patch is listed on one of these patch websites for cap patches, we had a digital "patch" that was used before it mainly for the squadron use, but it was said to be to hard make into real patchs, because of size and the colors used, still woud like to see it done but it can wait, we have a decent one now and that one would be for old times sake.
By the way I don't care if I buy the "knockoffs" in K-mart, I would rather buy 2-6 of those than a pair of $130 running shoes. I wear those buggers out in three months.
Former 1st Lt. Oliver L. Thornton
NY-292
Broome Tioga Composite Squadron

alamrcn

It's from the 8th Special Operations Squadron and other associated units...
http://www2.hurlburt.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=3481

Maybe one of their members was a part of them? Who knows.

We have MANY, MANY patches that mimic or encorprate emblems from all branches of the Armed Services, NASA, etc. You can blame the unit for not being original or creative... sure. But I guess the more important thing is that IF the similarity was intentional, was there also an effort made to get permission?

In regards to Batman... yah, I didn't draw the conection either and I'm somewhat of a fan. I guess the same type of people that can see it that way are the type that labeled our ES patch the "Pluto patch" or the 1960's Senior breast patch the "Coca Cola" patch. It's alright though.... the squadron might even call it the "Batman patch".

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

chanson1

http://96th.glr.cap.gov

upper corner of the page, is an old squadron patch.
Christian M. Hanson

alamrcn

Quote from: chanson1http://96th.glr.cap.gov  -  upper corner of the page, is an old squadron patch.

Here ya go....

And the "Squadron BX" still works...
http://www.cafepress.com/96thcap

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

CAPLAW

ltcmark

GLR-IN-184 patch.

Here is the meaning of all the elements:

Deidhinn A Cion – Gaelic phrase meaning 'For the Love' – we adopted this motto because of the professionalism and volunteerism of the organization and the dedication of our members to give without any financial reward

Bear – representing the history of Shelbyville and a tribute to the author Charles Major, the silver background represents Sincerity and Peace

Flur-De-Les – representing our faith in God, the blue background represents our Strength and Loyalty to God

Red Cross – representing the lives we save and the humanitarian aspects of our mission

Compass Rose – the symbol of the pathfinder's – the black dividing line shows constancy so that we may always be on the right path, the maroon signifies our military heritage and that we may be victorious in our mission, the white for the peacefulness of our missions

Shamrock – adopted as a symbol of our squadron heritage, it has the meaning of perpetuity, longevity and loyalty of our members, the silver background represents Sincerity and Peace

Laurel Wreath  – symbol of peace with the green of the Wreath representing Hope and loyalty of love for our fellow man

Blue Background – Strength and loyalty of our members

Gold Ring – Generosity and the excellence required of our members

RiverAux

Looks nice.  How does it come out on cloth (seems a little complex)?

chanson1

Quote from: alamrcn on January 21, 2009, 04:28:09 PM
Quote from: chanson1http://96th.glr.cap.gov  -  upper corner of the page, is an old squadron patch.

Here ya go....

And the "Squadron BX" still works...
http://www.cafepress.com/96thcap

Yes our BX still works. 96th.glr.cap.gov :-)
Christian M. Hanson

IceNine

Quote from: IceNine on December 13, 2008, 06:24:34 AM
I finally found a company that quoted me a reasonable price for this one just a few days ago.  Once I get the sample run I will release my source.

Side by side.  See I told it it wasn't too much detail.

FYI- I used Butlerpatches.com  turn around was 20 days, price was 1.69 per patch fully embroidered.  I'm very happy and will most certainly use them in the future.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Eclipse

Ice - you've got a draft version of the logo above, otherwise they look good.

"That Others May Zoom"