Wilderness Advanced First Aid Patch

Started by HolyMatt123, April 14, 2015, 04:23:32 AM

HolyMatt123

Hey guys, C/CMSgt Moore here.

I recently graduated from a WAFA (Wilderness Advanced First Aid) course and have been on the search for the patch that goes with the qualification. I know that they stopped making them, but a few friends of mine have them. Do you guys know where I could get my hands on one? I've searched high and low and can't seem to find one to purchase any where. Thanks.

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Storm Chaser

Try CAPM 39-1. Does it say that a WAFA patch is authorized with the uniform?

Panzerbjorn

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 14, 2015, 01:28:57 PM

It seems to me that a WAFA patch would fall under the 10.7.23 CPR patch umbrella as CPR is part of the curriculum.

http://www.nols.edu/wmi/courses/wildadvancedfirstaid.shtml
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

arajca

Does the WAFA patch say "CPR"? That was a condition National put forth to use the CPR patch authorization for the FA/AED/CPR training my unit offers.

Panzerbjorn

Anything is possible with a Sharpie marker.  ;D
Major
Command Pilot
Ground Branch Director
Eagle Scout

THRAWN

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 14, 2015, 01:28:57 PM

Try reading the original post. Doesnt say he wants to put it on a uni, just that he wants the patch.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Devil Doc

If you want a Patch, Vanguard has them they are just on Back Order. They are Authorized to wear on the BDU's, I just took the same course. I am talking about the ESCI Advanced Wilderness First Aid Course.
Captain Brandon P. Smith CAP
Former HM3, U.S NAVY
Too many Awards, Achievments and Qualifications to list.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: Devil Doc on April 14, 2015, 05:52:11 PM
If you want a Patch, Vanguard has them they are just on Back Order. They are Authorized to wear on the BDU's, I just took the same course. I am talking about the ESCI Advanced Wilderness First Aid Course.

I've seen many with this patch, but CAPM 39-1 doesn't mention it at all. So, is it really authorized?

kwe1009

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 14, 2015, 06:42:31 PM

I've seen many with this patch, but CAPM 39-1 doesn't mention it at all. So, is it really authorized?

If it is not listed in 39-1 or a supplement then I highly doubt it is not authorized.

Storm Chaser

Quote from: kwe1009 on April 15, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

If it is not listed in 39-1 or a supplement then I highly doubt it is not authorized.

I think you mean to say "I highly doubt it is not authorized."

JC004

Quote from: Panzerbjorn on April 14, 2015, 02:49:53 PM
Anything is possible with a Sharpie marker.  ;D

Excellent point.  I just said the same thing about the tire pressure number on the CAP van...   >:D

Larry Mangum

I will have to go through old emails from NHQ. I know it was authorized for graduates of the WAFA course conducted at NESA.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

Storm Chaser

I know it has been issued by NESA to (and worn by) WAFA graduates for a few years now, but the patch didn't make it to the latest revision of CAPM 39-1. Besides the NESA NCSA patch, the only special NESA uniform approved by CAPM 39-1 is the khaki shorts with black t-shirt while participating in NESA's Mission Aircrew School.

In contrast, the Ranger tab and orange baseball cap, in addition to HMRS NSCA patch, for PAWG HMRS graduates made the cut. Better "union"?

kwe1009

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 15, 2015, 01:20:18 AM
Quote from: kwe1009 on April 15, 2015, 12:49:36 AM

I think you mean to say "I highly doubt it is not authorized."

That is what I meant.  Thanks for the fix!

LSThiker

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 15, 2015, 02:04:27 PM
I know it has been issued by NESA to (and worn by) WAFA graduates for a few years now, but the patch didn't make it to the latest revision of CAPM 39-1.

And if it is not in CAPM 39-1, then it cannot be worn.  I think that is pretty clearly spelled out in the manual:

Quote10.1. Policy. Only those CAP badges and patches described in this chapter will be worn on the CAP uniform. A quick reference to authorized CAP badges and patches is available at Attachment 4.

So, the wilderness first aid patch is not in CAPM 39-1, thus, no one, even NESA members, are allowed to wear it.

Larry Mangum

The justification as I was told, i that since a CPR patch is authorized, it is being allowed as if it was a CPR patch.
Larry Mangum, Lt Col CAP
DCS, Operations
SWR-SWR-001

husker

C/Moore - two reasons we did not give out WAFA patches at WESS  - 1) They are not authorized in the new CAPR 39-1, and 2) ECSI does not even sell the patches anymore.

Quote from: Storm Chaser on April 15, 2015, 02:04:27 PM
In contrast, the Ranger tab and orange baseball cap, in addition to HMRS NSCA patch, for PAWG HMRS graduates made the cut. Better "union"?

Better union - Heh.....
Michael Long, Lt Col CAP
Deputy Director, National Emergency Services Academy
nesa.cap.gov
mlong (at) nesa.cap.gov