Scholarships (again)

Started by Pulsar, April 08, 2015, 01:07:22 PM

Pulsar

So I have a dilemma.

I applied for a flight Scholarship and was accepted to the Flight Academy in Maine. However, If I did not get a scholarship, I would not be able to go to the academy. I was counting on Scholarships being released in mid-March to give me a chance of attending and enough time to pay for the NCSA before April 15. 

Due to the passing of someone on the committee, Scholarship information has now been postponed to April 17, two days after the NCSA payment deadline. It looks like I can't go to the academy as we don't have the money and the info won't be released until afterward. 

What should I do about this?

???   :-\   :(   :'(
C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Offutteer

You could explain your situation to the Activity Director, he or she might give you an extension, but it wouldn't help if you didn't receive a scholarship.  You could ask if your unit or wing offers flight scholarships.  If there is an AFA chapter in your area, maybe one of the senior members can ask for an annual flight scholarship, but there is little time for you this year.   

FW

I would think the Activity Director is aware of the committee's delay, and will extend the deadline a little if you ask.  Good Luck.

lordmonar

Don't forget the VFW, American Legion, your local WalMart, check with wing for scholarships, check with all the businesses on your local air port.

Get with you DCC/Commander and do the following.

1.  Get a detailed and as accurate as possible list of how much it is going to cost you to go. 
2.  Write a Grant Letter that explains a)What CAP is. B) Who you are.  C) What the flight academy is all about.   Attach the detailed expense list.
3.  In the grant letter also explain what you personally are doing to raise the money (got a job?  Washing Cars?  Collecting Cans?  What ever).
4.  Make sure this fund raising request is approved by wing per regulations.

The key to getting people to donate money for something like this is that you show what it is going to be used for, and that you are working hard to find other ways to get the money.

Don't look for a single donor with big pockets.   If you need $2000 it is easier to find 10 businesses/organizations/people who have $200 then to find one with $2000.

Good luck.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

stixco1

A Cadet in our Squadron made a "gofundme" campaign and posted it on Facebook. He raised the money for the activity and airfare in no time.

THRAWN

Quote from: stixco1 on April 08, 2015, 10:01:23 PM
A Cadet in our Squadron made a "gofundme" campaign and posted it on Facebook. He raised the money for the activity and airfare in no time.

This isn't a terrible idea. I agree with Colonel Weiss that there may be some wiggle room because pretty much everybody knows what happened. Communicate with your CoC, the activity staff, and the scholarship personnel. This is a good learning experience for you. It allows you to think on your feet, and gives you a good, although difficult, lesson in why deficit spending doesn't work.

Good luck.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Pulsar

So April 6, 2015, I got this message:
"We had planned to announce the winners of the Civil Air Patrol flight and academic scholarships today.  Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances, we will not be able to announce the scholarship finalists until 17 April.  The unexpected passing of Lt Col Michael Foster, the National Scholarship Committee Chair, necessitated a...Scholarship winners, along with their wing commanders, will be notified on 17 April and results will be posted publicly. "

The commander of the Flight academy agreed to wait until April 17 for scholarships and he wanted me to tell him as soon as possible that day whether I was a go or no go.  What is happening to Scholarships?!! The list is still not on capmembers, and no emails were received yesterday!   I now am a primary for NBB; if I can't go to the flight academy (b/ no scholarship) then I will go to NBB. The commander of NBB is now waiting to know if I am a go/no go...     :-\ :-\ :-\

C/LtCol Neutron Star
PAWG ENC 2013/ AMMA 2014/ NER W RCLS 2014-5 [Salutatorian] / NER Powered Flight Academy 2015

"A fiery strength inspires their lives, An essence that from heaven
derives,..." - Vergil, The Aeneid

(C) Copyright 2013: Readers who choose to hardcopy my comments are entitled to specific rights, namely: you may print them off and read them repeatedly until you have memorized them and then rattle them off as if you had thought them up yourself; However if asked, you must say they were signaled to you from a neutron star.

Ned

The scholarship process is now complete, and official notifications will go out on Monday.

We appreciate your patience for the delays caused by the untimely passing of Lt Col Foster.

Congratulations to the 2015 winners!

Ned Lee
National Cadet Program Manager