Air Shows -- Monitoring The Radio Communications Action

Started by RADIOMAN015, June 14, 2012, 09:54:05 PM

RADIOMAN015

Well IMHO here's the best, comprehensive source (for many years):

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/0312airshowguide.pdf   

BTW all the photos in those articles are from hobbyists in the New England area (as well as the 2nd article authors in the series).

RM

Bloodsky

Haha, look at them list CAP radio frequencies... They also go on to talk about ISR frequencies and how there are only 12 channels...

Spaceman3750

Since when does "I'll have a ham sandwich with mayo" and "When can I go on breeeaaaakkkk??? :(" qualify as action? >:D

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 21, 2012, 05:36:30 PM
Since when does "I'll have a ham sandwich with mayo" and "When can I go on breeeaaaakkkk??? :(" qualify as action? >:D
Well actually monitoring the "Air Boss" aircraft coordination frequency (which is generally a VHF AM aeronautical frequency, usually the tower or ground frequency for that airport but not always), gives a very good insight to the flow of the show and problems that have to be resolved.   Also some individual performers have some air to ground frequencies they may use that tie into the public address system or to coordinate with their crews (VHF or UHF AM mode).  Of course with aerial teams there's going to be some fast action air/air comms (VHF or UHF AM mode).

CAP radio activity is not a very high interest monitoring target at most air shows.   Of course we want to get our comms encrypted so no one can hear that sandwich order or request for break ;) :angel: (Or is this traffic really a secret squirrel code we developed to pass on sensitive information on unencrypted radio networks ??? ;) )
RM

wuzafuzz

I listened to some air show comms and found them to be very interesting and sometimes downright entertaining.  Once I heard the air boss trying to communicate with a Russian pilot who spoke only broken English.  "OK Sergei, you can go now."  "Sergei go?"  "Yes, Sergei, GO."  "OK, Sergei go."  And boy did he go.  The best performance I ever saw.  Maybe they were messing around because they know people listen, but it was still fun.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."