Staff Duty Analysis

Started by abysmal, March 17, 2005, 01:19:38 AM

abysmal

Once again I am here looking for help.

I have 5 2nd Lts that are all ready to move forward.
Seems that the major stumbling block for all of them is the SDA.

Where can I go to get my hands on some well written sample SDAs so I have some better idea of just what it is that we are supposed to be looking for from them??

2LT Christopher M. Parrett
[red]Deputy Commander of Cadets, Cadet Programs Officer[/red]
London Bridge Composite Squadron 501
SWR-AZ-112,  Lake Havasu City, Arizona

Briski

CAPP 52-14 will soon become the mutual best friend of all five of your C/2d Lts.

It's nice. Very nice. It will tell them exactly what is required for each SDA, and it has an example that's an actual SDA, written for a position that is not one they will ever be required to write an SDA for.

There's also an in-depth explanation in the back of each chapter in the leadership manual, but tell them to ignore those. They are out of date. CAPP 52-14 is what they want these days.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

abysmal

Quote from: Briski on March 17, 2005, 02:59:14 AM
CAPP 52-14 will soon become the mutual best friend of all five of your C/2d Lts.

It's nice. Very nice. It will tell them exactly what is required for each SDA, and it has an example that's an actual SDA, written for a position that is not one they will ever be required to write an SDA for.

So you would say that EVERYTHING they need IS in the 52-14 ???

MIKE

Quote from: abysmal on March 17, 2005, 02:33:08 PM
Quote from: Briski on March 17, 2005, 02:59:14 AM

So you would say that EVERYTHING they need IS in the 52-14 ???

I think you should have a pretty good understanding of what is expected for the SDA requirement if you read through CAPP 52-14... You should get the gist of it from the sample SDA as Cadet Briski noted.  I'd pay particular attention to the format as this is very important IMO.

If you have questions ask.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Thanks
I have glanced at the CAPR 52-14, but I have not gone through it slowly as yet.

Briski

1st Lt Johnston is right on. It can be a little difficult to figure out what's what the first time, but it's nice to have an example in the correct format in CAPP 52-14. After the Flight Commander SDA, the others should be no problem.

I actually kind of like SDAs. Like most Cadets, I have not had the opportunity to serve in each staff position. I don't have hands-on experience when it comes to the position of Cadet Operations Officer, for instance. Writing a report on that position will force me to think about the duties and responsibilities of that position, and it will make me a more well-rounded Cadet Officer. Unfortunately, most just see SDAs as a waste of time.
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

abysmal

At this point I am just not in a position to offer any substanciated comments on the SDA. Other than that I have 5 2nd Lts all of which need to get one done so they can move forward to 1st lt.

And so far as I can tell, the SDA is the ONLY thing stopping all of them.

Looks like that will be my reading topic for this evening...

MIKE

Quote from: Briski on March 18, 2005, 02:53:20 AM
I actually kind of like SDAs. Like most Cadets, I have not had the opportunity to serve in each staff position. I don't have hands-on experience when it comes to the position of Cadet Operations Officer, for instance. Writing a report on that position will force me to think about the duties and responsibilities of that position, and it will make me a more well-rounded Cadet Officer. Unfortunately, most just see SDAs as a waste of time.

What I'd add to this is that it is not just about learning about the staff positions associated with the SDA, but also other associated official publications such as regulations, manuals and pamphlets... It teaches cadets how to prepare formal reports and correspondence and properly fill out forms to be submitted to the commander... SDAs provide an introduction the paperwork side of CAP.  ;D
Mike Johnston

abysmal

Sat down last night and read over the whole CAPP 52-14 from cover to cover.
Seems pretty straight forward to me and the sample at the end was very clear.

it would appear that my Cadets are worried about nothing.
They just need to knuckle down and get it done.

MIKE

Leadership 2000: And Beyond includes some more sample documents that might be applicable to some SDAs, I recall using some of them in my own SDAs... These were pre CAPP 52-14 SDA reports though and they have changed somewhat.  I'm not sure if Leadership 2000: And Beyond SE includes the sample documents, but I hope that it does.
Mike Johnston

abysmal

So, after some hard work the first of my 2nd Lts has turned in his SDA.
I would like to hear your comments on the following, as this is the first and only one I have ever seen.

From what I can see in the manual this is a well written SDA that meets all the requirements.

==========

[removed -- send PM for contents]

Yoda

At a brief glance, it looks as though it's formatted correctly.  However, I wouldn't post the SDA on the net.  You never know who might be looking.  We'd all like to think that every officer in CAP has high integrity, but there's no sense in putting a sheep in front of a wolf, no matter how well behaved he is.

On another note, I'd be happy to send you one of my SDA's for your own reference.  I've yet to have any trouble with one, so feel free to drop me a line if you'd like one.  I would request that you don't show any of the cadets the SDA until they've completed it on their own, however.

abysmal

Quote from: Yoda on March 31, 2005, 06:34:40 PM
At a brief glance, it looks as though it's formatted correctly.  However, I wouldn't post the SDA on the net.  You never know who might be looking.  We'd all like to think that every officer in CAP has high integrity, but there's no sense in putting a sheep in front of a wolf, no matter how well behaved he is.

On another note, I'd be happy to send you one of my SDA's for your own reference.  I've yet to have any trouble with one, so feel free to drop me a line if you'd like one.  I would request that you don't show any of the cadets the SDA until they've completed it on their own, however.

Formatting wise I agree, he did a fine job
I was looking for comments on the content of the SDA.

You really think I should Nuke the contents from this thread??

arajca

Yes

Pylon

Quote from: arajca
Yes

I agree.  Let's not post SDA's in their entirety on the website.  If you want to get comments on another cadet's SDA, feel free to do so, but PM it to other Senior Members or from those whose opinion you seek.  Our website is viewable by the public, even without registering for an account, meaning that it would be very easy for any curious CAP cadet to obtain that text to use for other than legitimate purposes.

It's perfectly fine to ask for opinions on the SDA, but do it by Personal Messaging on the website or email only.  ;)

Thank you for understanding!
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

abysmal

Agreed.
I will edit it in a moment then.,

abysmal

Quote from: Pylon on March 31, 2005, 08:19:07 PM
Quote from: arajca
Yes

I agree.  Let's not post SDA's in their entirety on the website.  If you want to get comments on another cadet's SDA, feel free to do so, but PM it to other Senior Members or from those whose opinion you seek.  Our website is viewable by the public, even without registering for an account, meaning that it would be very easy for any curious CAP cadet to obtain that text to use for other than legitimate purposes.

It's perfectly fine to ask for opinions on the SDA, but do it by Personal Messaging on the website or email only.  ;)

Thank you for understanding!

I see you beat me to it and already nuked the contents yourself.