Errors, Ambiguities & Conflicts in CAPM 39-1

Started by Pylon, November 27, 2007, 10:54:50 PM

Pylon

I'm trying to create a list of all of the errors, perceived ambiguities, gray areas, contradictions and conflicts that CAPM 39-1, the CAP Uniform Manual, has within itself and with other CAP regulations.  Please help point these out to me so we can get them corrected.

This is not a wish list of uniform items you wish we had, or changes to our insignia you wish they'd make, but rather pointing out existing issues.  There are a handful I'm already aware of and would like to ensure we get all of them.

P.S.: We know the photos are all, for the most part, bad examples.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

JCW0312

The diagrams for placement of the embroidered rank for BDUs seems like someone forgot to finish them (especially for the "CAP" placement on the BDU field jacket). Some aspects just have to be "eyeballed" by the sewing member.
Jon Williams, 2d Lt, CAP
Memphis Belle Memorial Squadron
SER-TN-144

MIKE

Grade on the BDU caps should be centered on the front of the cap vertically and horizontally.  Not 1/2 inch up from the visor.

Address the wearing of more than one specialty insignia, and military badges in relation to same.

Ditch the requirement to crease shirt and blouse sleeves centered off the epaulet.

Model Rocketry badge placement for females needs to be looked at.  While you are at it, move the patch to the left pocket.

Change clothing accessories to be IAW AFI 36-2903.  Scarf color has changed to black IIRC.

CAPM 39-1 badge placement verses AFI 36-2903 badge placement.

Edit:  Grooming standards should be the same reguardless of cadet or senior status. i.e. Sideburns

Really have to go through the manual with a fine toothed comb to find them all.
Mike Johnston

JohnKachenmeister

There are two tables for precedence of decorations.

One table places them AFTER all US ribbons,

The other table places foreign awards after US Military Awards, but ahead of CAP awards.

Another former CAP officer

mikeylikey

I never liked how there was a picture, and then there was a list of where things went.  Keep the picture but elaborate on the list, (take 6 pages) on the proper way to wear and place badges on the Service Coat.  Don't try to jam it all on one page.
What's up monkeys?

cnitas

As discussed here before, 39-1 conflicts with 39-3 in the wear of US Military awards and decorations.
Mark A. Piersall, Lt Col, CAP
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

MIKE

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 28, 2007, 07:24:08 PM
I never liked how there was a picture, and then there was a list of where things went.  Keep the picture but elaborate on the list, (take 6 pages) on the proper way to wear and place badges on the Service Coat.  Don't try to jam it all on one page.

The problem with the tables for badges and patches is that they lump everything together for males and females and the different but similar uniforms.  I wonder if it might be better to do the tables different or forgo all together in favor of much more detailed notes specific to each combination instead of two different places... the Figure and the Table?
Mike Johnston

CASH172

1.  Specify exactly whether or not the tie bar/pin is required.  AFI-36-2903 does not require a tie bar/pin but CAPM 39-1 hints that it's required. 

2.  Respecify exactly where certain cadet items go on CAP distinctive uniforms.  Many cadets have to leave much to their own way of how a uniform should be since the manual does not specifically cover this on some CAP distinctive uniforms. 

There are more things, but I'll have to dig through my mind for all of them. 

ddelaney103

There was an illustration from a Marine uniform manual that looked helpful.  It seemed to designate places on the uniform and list what uniform items went there and how they went.  A list of what can go over the ribbons and what can go on the pocket could be very helpful.

dwb

With this latest revision of the manual, a lot of Chapter 1 was changed from regular paragraphs of text to a tabular format, which is not the ideal way to display that information.  It should be reverted to regular paragraphs.

Also, not directly related... 39-1 is huge.  90% of the time, a simple one-sheet with a good portrait with callout boxes pointing out key areas is all you need.  With the revised 39-1 should come color one-sheets of every uniform combination suitable for posting on squadron bulletin boards.  Refer people to 39-1 for details and edge cases.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: justin_bailey on November 28, 2007, 09:47:38 PM
With this latest revision of the manual, a lot of Chapter 1 was changed from regular paragraphs of text to a tabular format, which is not the ideal way to display that information.  It should be reverted to regular paragraphs.

Also, not directly related... 39-1 is huge.  90% of the time, a simple one-sheet with a good portrait with callout boxes pointing out key areas is all you need.  With the revised 39-1 should come color one-sheets of every uniform combination suitable for posting on squadron bulletin boards.  Refer people to 39-1 for details and edge cases.

You mean something like this? Attached are a couple of one sheet guides I prepared for the corporate blue and corporate gray uniform. (Well, not exactly one-sheets, but they can be easily edited.)

Sorry, don't have one yet for the AF-style blues.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

dwb

Yeah, something like that, but with people modeling the uniforms.

I was initially going to suggest that we return to the pre-1997 uniform manual days when all the uniform "pictures" were drawings.  But, after looking at the 1997 manual again, it really is nice to see how the uniform is supposed to look on a real person, particularly for the items that don't have precise locations (e.g., the silver nameplate, or the nameplate/ribbons on female dress uniforms).

The 2005 pictures are a joke, but that's already been pointed out.

jimmydeanno

Just as a suggestion...

Why do we insist on showing how to wear the uniform of a higher grade officer in all our manuals?  The most likely person to even open the uniform manual is a new person, so shouldn't the examples be showing lower grade individuals and focus on how to put on CAP cutouts instead of Lt Col epaulet sleeves? 
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

davedove

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2007, 01:26:56 PM
Just as a suggestion...

Why do we insist on showing how to wear the uniform of a higher grade officer in all our manuals?  The most likely person to even open the uniform manual is a new person, so shouldn't the examples be showing lower grade individuals and focus on how to put on CAP cutouts instead of Lt Col epaulet sleeves? 

That's a very valid point.  It should be very explicit for SMWOG and Lieutenants, giving the exact position of EVERY device.  As you said, these are the people who are most likely to be looking at the manual.

The manual could then maybe give an example of a field grade officer to highlight the differences.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

pixelwonk

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 29, 2007, 01:26:56 PM
Just as a suggestion...

Because 1) the majority of members are sm'officers, rather than SMwoGs.  2) Once you put on grade, it doesn't matter what it is, the placement remains the same unless you have stars.

Having said that,
there's nothing wrong with including a section for brand spanking new members.  Many of whom have never put on a uniform in their life.

If such an addition would be too lengthy for 39-1, a clear-as-the-nose-on-your-face pamphlet for the new member package and online might be a good idea.

MIKE

It would not be a bad idea to have a Figures specfic to NCOs and "Airmen".... Senior Members without grade.  Like they do with cadets.  Could have two pictures.  One SM and one NCO.
Mike Johnston

MIKE

Bump.

Rather than trying to pick apart CAPM 39-1 to find the existing issues, it might actually be easier to just start over.  As I've mentioned before, I think a lot can pretty much be copied and pasted from AFI 36-2903.  Also I think you can make some allowances for how it was versus how it's gonna be change wise.
Mike Johnston

PHall

Quote from: MIKE on December 12, 2007, 02:45:30 AM
Bump.

Rather than trying to pick apart CAPM 39-1 to find the existing issues, it might actually be easier to just start over.  As I've mentioned before, I think a lot can pretty much be copied and pasted from AFI 36-2903.  Also I think you can make some allowances for how it was versus how it's gonna be change wise.

Instead of cutting and pasting from 36-2903, why not just make a CAP Supplement to AFI 36-2903?

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on December 12, 2007, 02:54:27 AM
Quote from: MIKE on December 12, 2007, 02:45:30 AM
Bump.

Instead of cutting and pasting from 36-2903, why not just make a CAP Supplement to AFI 36-2903?

A few reasons. One, a lot of folks in CAP have a problem with using an Air Force publication.

Two, that would require having two different pubs to put together a CAP uniform.

Three, there is corporate stuff that isn't listed in  36-2903, so there would have to be something separate anyway.

Plus, it's easier to just have a single pub for CAP uniforms. It would be a little cumbersome to have to look up stuff in two different manuals.

Eclipse

I've heard this "just use 2903" argument a lot lately, especially as a back-door to quickly getting new items approved (i.e. as soon as it hits 2903, it'd be ok for us).

I'm sure many of you can see the issue with that.

Since there are many USAF items prohibited for our wear, >our< manual should be complete, with no references to outside pubs.  This clears up any ambiguity wth regards to items we're not allowed.

"That Others May Zoom"