UH60 IMC Crash determined to be pilot error

Started by Flying Pig, November 29, 2015, 01:08:54 PM

Flying Pig

Quote from: Cliff_Chambliss on December 11, 2015, 02:18:28 PM
So what is the learning point here? 
We have all heard at one time or another that a VFR pilot entering IMC averages about 3 minutes before they lose control of the aircraft. 
Some years ago the AOPA Air Safety Foundation published a study that stated even if a pilot was instrument rated and current, entering inadvertent IMC while unprepared, had the same 3 minutes before loss of control.
In Army talk, this accident was caused by Operator Headspace Error, and was entirely preventable. 
CAP pays lip service to this type mindset with the "Knock it off" concept where any member of the crew can stop a mission/flight.  But is it really used?  Is Cadet Brightstar really going to tell LTC Greybeard "This flight is hazardous and needs to be terminated"?  Is SMWOG really going to tell the Form 5/91 Check Pilot to "Stop This, this ride is over, land now"?
There is more to CRM than just publishing buzz words in manuals and regulations.  It must be Command Emphasis for all members. 
Unfortunately for the UH60 crew and passengers CRM was not practiced or adhered to, or maybe it was and the aircrew commander just chose to ignore the advice/objections of the crew. Was this aircrew commander another LTC Bud Holland (re: "Darker Shades of Blue: A case Study of Failed Leadership"  by Tony Kern.)(http://sbfpd.org/uploads/3/0/9/6/3096011/darker_shades_of_blue.pdf)  The study of Czar 52 at Fairchild AFB If so, what then?

CAP is an odd animal because of how we recruit or train pilot.  In dealing with pilots who enter CAP as a time building opportunity, then if could be met with hazardous results potentially.  However, CAP also recruits high time, experienced pilots who would have no issue telling you whats up without regard to rank.  In my case, and in the case of many many CAP pilots Ive flown with, Id openly laugh at any check pilot who suggested we do something along those lines.  But Im also in the position of having built confidence as a pilot.  In my case, I dont need CAP for flying.  ON the other hand, I know CAP pilots who, without CAP would simply lose any real access to flying or being around aviation.  We all have our motivations.  Its just important to keep your mindset in check.  Are you fudging a pre-flight issue because this is the last flight you need?  Are you pushing weather because this is a funded SAREX and you get to fly for free today?   You just wrapped up mountain school and now you are being asked to fly a search grid in the Sierras at 8000' in August?  But you are a 350hr total time pilot with 11hrs of mountain time?  Just insure you live to fly another day.

I was always in a strange position in CAP because I didnt need CAP to fly.  I flew and still fly for a living.  It was always very easy for me to never sweat a flight or not think twice about canceling a funded flight because something on a pre-flight wasnt right or tell a AOBD they were incompetent and to assign me another grid or I was leaving.  Because tomorrow.... Ill just go to work and fly all day anyway.  But like most of us, Ive know CAP pilots who sacrificed family time and money they didnt have for a .5 of C182 time.  All easier said that done I know.