USAF Considers Extending Huey 30 Years

Started by FARRIER, April 24, 2012, 12:38:45 PM

SarDragon

The Navy and Marine Corps have been doing upgrades since the '90s, maybe even earlier. That includes new avionics, and a power train upgrade. All they need is money.  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

bosshawk

My first ride in an A model Huey was in Korea in 1963.  [darn], that was a long time ago.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Cliff_Chambliss

That was just about the same time the Army had a (then HU-1) simulator they brought up to the State Fair in Birmingham, Al. and as a CAP cadet was allowed to "fire" a simulated "Dart" missile at a simulated target.  Wow, the sim did not move but the picture our front did and I was able to "fly" the missile all the way to target.  Interesting how some things just stay imprinted in your memories.
11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

NIN

"When the fly the last Blackhawk to the boneyard, they'll fly the crew home in a Huey."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

bosshawk

The Army keeps saying that the Hueys are all retired and it always seems that another one shows up somewhere. 

NIN: I agree with you completely.  You can probably extend that to the Lakotas, too.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

PHall

Supposedly the Army has finally retired it's last Huey. Maryland Army Guard IIRC.
Heck they even replaced the Huey's out at Kwajalien several years ago.

titanII

I'd love to see an updated, modernized Huey!
The Huey is to the US military as the Hind is to the Russian military. Two (very different) great, reliable, workhorses!
No longer active on CAP talk

NIN

Quote from: PHall on April 26, 2012, 09:06:53 PM
Supposedly the Army has finally retired it's last Huey. Maryland Army Guard IIRC.
Heck they even replaced the Huey's out at Kwajalien several years ago.

Yeah, tell the NH ARNG that the 2 they have sitting on the ramp are retired.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Stearmann4

I fly a Huey+ which is the same thing as the Huey IIs that the AF is flying down at Ft Rucker. The "Plus, or II" mod is a basic Army surplus UH-1H with a Cobra engine tail, wide chord rotor blades, and transmissions. It makes a stock 105kt Huey into a 130kt, high altitude bronco.

While the Army was in the process of moth balling all it's Hueys, along with wasting money on the Commanche, Kiowa replacement and the now almost useless Lakota, the AF took all the Army's DRMOs Huey,s and for comparitive pennies, had them all rebuilt into Huey IIs right in Ozark, AL outside Ft Rucker for their primary training division. The AF's Huey's even have glass cockpits and will smoke a Lakota both in payload and hot and high performance. In fact, they come very close to the UH-1N (twin PT-6) B-212s performance using only one engine.

The private sector is now starting to get ahold of ex-Army huey's and finding what a bargain a re-built Huey II is rather than prucjasing a shiny new helicopter.

Mike- 
Active Duty Army Aviator
Silver Wings Flying Company, LLC
Olympia Regional Airport (KOLM)
www.Silverwingsflying.com

Майор Хаткевич

I had no idea those were still flying in the military...

ThatOneGuy

They still are (kind of). I flew on one operated by the Air Force at my basic encampment two years ago, that thing is FUNNNNNNNN  :)

NIN

Quote from: superLt1995 on April 27, 2012, 04:23:29 PM
They still are (kind of). I flew on one operated by the Air Force at my basic encampment two years ago, that thing is FUNNNNNNNN  :)

The UH-1 is a pretty solid helicopter. Bell did it right.

First helicopter I ever hovered. :)
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

FlyTiger77

Quote from: NIN on April 27, 2012, 06:06:22 PM

Me, too.

First aircraft I ever soloed, too. With about 18-20 hours of total time in my logbook.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 27, 2012, 07:57:13 PM
First aircraft I ever soloed, too. With about 18-20 hours of total time in my logbook.

Stunning that they let you fly off over the treeline all on your own with that amount of time, ain't it?

I wasn't going thru primary, I just had a crusty old W4 MTP sitting next to me going "Here, kid, get on the cyclic.. now the collective.. you got the pedals.. I'm backing you up, no sweat.. nice hover.."  So I'm hovering away just dandy, really got the hang of it, and I look over at him and both his hands and his feet are nowhere near the controls.

Man, talk about "pilot induced oscillation" when I saw that.. Yikes.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Майор Хаткевич

I think he means solo aircraft and a total of 20 hours on the airframe, not when he got to solo. At least how I read it...

NIN

Quote from: usafaux2004 on April 27, 2012, 09:17:21 PM
I think he means solo aircraft and a total of 20 hours on the airframe, not when he got to solo. At least how I read it...

Read it again.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

FlyTiger77

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on April 27, 2012, 07:57:13 PM
Quote from: NIN on April 27, 2012, 06:06:22 PM

Me, too.

I can't remember exactly how many hours I had when I first soloed. It may have been as many as 24, but 20-ish seems to ring a bell. (It was a long time ago and the logbook that survives started at 36.1 hours by which time I had already logged 2.5 hours of solo).

When I went through Initial Entry Rotary Wing (IERW) the UH-1H was the primary trainer. A 9,500 pound max gross weight, 1,300 horsepower turbine helicopter was the first aircraft I ever flew. I finished the Huey contact portion with a total of 57.8 hours and finished my instrument rating with 30 hours in the simulator and an additional 19.6 hours in the aircraft. Then, it was on to the Cobra, etc, etc, etc.

So, yes, I first soloed at well less than 25 hours in my logbook. The aircraft had thousands of hours on the airframe. At one point, I flew a 1962 model Huey (older than me) with over 30,000 hours on the airframe. The Huey is a great aircraft.

When I received my first private pilot certicate just last month, I already had over 800 total flying hours (and a commercial, instrument helicopter ticket).
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

riffraff

I can backup the flight hours to solo. My first solo was at 18.7 hours -- a TH-55 out of Ft Rucker in Sept 1985. Pretty hilarious considering navigation wasn't taught until the (then) UH-1 contact phase.  We literally were sent out with instuctions along the lines of, "when you see the yellow building with the metal roof, turn right and fly for a few more minutes until you see the stage field". Then it was 12-18 trainees jammed into a stage field with 4-6 lanes (runways) each with 3 landing points on them. Credit to the Army and its program. No incidents during my 9 months there.

As for the UH-1H -- I have fond memories of the time I flew them. I don't recall it having any vices.